1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

1 hour ago, nopride84 said:

veryone missing cavallo but when that trilogy came out everyone was like wtf is up with the production

Are there really someone who still talk shit about the trilogy? osh I loved and still love it. 
I wanna say to the world I LIKE NIGHTLIFE. 

My job is done ahah 

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

What makes me more excited though, is that this is a guy who knows the band really well. He has produced some of their most loved and most hated records and worked with the band for years.  If they indeed "returned" to him, in a sense, it could actually be quite cool to see what they come up with.

That's the point :) I'm excited and curious. We all know GD makes the music but producers still have an important role and of course when we say "classic green day" we don't mean we expect another Dookie 'cause  honestly I don't want it, it exist yet. What I understand when I hear "it's green Day" it's... just Green Day, doing the music they like with their unique style, with passion, and love, passion that they really knows how to impart in us, to make us feel hyped because at first they ARE! 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Hopefully they don’t cut it down to 10 songs again like they did with FOAM!! Although they’re clearly more enthusiastic with this one!!! With FOAM, all promotion was directed towards “Hella Mega, Hella Mega, oh and by the way we have a little album coming out too.”

This. I don’t care what anybody says. Look at the promotion, the interviews, the fact that they wouldn’t play any of it on tour. They were underwhelmed with that album way before the fans were. Maybe that’s why the response was meh too. They seemed meh first.

2 minutes ago, Minority103 said:

That's the point :) I'm excited and curious. We all know GD makes the music but producers still have an important role and of course when we say "classic green day" we don't mean we expect another Dookie 'cause  honestly I don't want it, it exist yet. What I understand when I hear "it's green Day" it's... just Green Day, doing the music they like with their unique style, with passion, and love, passion that they really knows how to impart in us, to make us feel hyped because at first they ARE! 

We both made the same point lol, but yes this exactly 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flashback said:

Where's the problem in vocal filters? Due to the technical progress in audio technology and the quality of our sound systems, we NEED vocal editing to get the best sound possible and to stand out in comparison to other musicians, and filters are a part of that. We don't want to hear unedited vocals, not even during live performances.

I think the opposite in general (not just the vocals), with the advancement of technology lately the green day insists on sounding like the 70's. Nutty edits with noise, putting in a more powerful sound already distorts everything.  I hope this time it's something good.

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

This. I don’t care what anybody says. Look at the promotion, the interviews, the fact that they wouldn’t play any of it on tour. They were underwhelmed with that album way before the fans were. Maybe that’s why the response was meh too. They seemed meh first.

We both made the same point lol, but yes this exactly 

Yeah the only time I remember them playing FOAM live was the 2019 Game Awards

2 hours ago, nopride84 said:

Everyone missing cavallo but when that trilogy came out everyone was like wtf is up with the production rob fucked up and even green day blamed the sound on rob . no matter what green day are the ones that decide how they want their .usic to sound and its not like butch was like put more hand claps. Billie been in love with hand claps for awhile now. Everyone needs to relize green day is killing their sound not producers

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

I certainly agree that bands or fans blaming stuff entirely on producers is ridiculous. That said, it's literally a producer's job to steer things (either softly or more aggressively) one way or the other, so of course they have an influence, that's what they're paid for. I don't want to get into the "old vs. new Green Day" debate, because at this point I think "classic Green Day" can be understood to mean different things to different people. What I will say is that, yeah, it might be playing it safe, but pretty much of all of my favourite Green Day albums, with the exception of 21CB were produced by Rob Cavallo. What makes me more excited though, is that this is a guy who knows the band really well. He has produced some of their most loved and most hated records and worked with the band for years.  If they indeed "returned" to him, in a sense, it could actually be quite cool to see what they come up with. All along I kinda got the sense of this being an attempt of a sort of homage project, very retrospective in its outlook, perhaps trying to take into the account the good, the bad and the ugly of the band's long career. Either way, I'm genuinely excited to see where things go from here. 

I think the issue with Butch Walker is that he didn't know how or where to steer the band. But the idea that Butch was behind everything that went wrong with FOAMF is just ridiculous.

I'm fine with Rob coming back because I'm finding myself losing a bit of interest in RevRad & parts of the trilogy while at the same time growing more on some of their 90's albums that I used to think of as mid-tier Green Day like Nimrod or Insomniac. Might be playing things a little bit safe but honestly, there's not been any huge growth in the band's output since 21CB. I'm just hoping for a really solid album

Also did Green Day actually blame Rob for the sound of the trilogy? I was under the impression that it was the band, Billie especially, that was behind the sound of the trilogy

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

I hope not, to be honest, unless some songs are kept relatively short like on Nimrod. AI is already pretty long, but I actually quite like that it has 13 songs, 21CB is a bit too long for my taste. 

Seeing that they recorded 6 songs in the first round and assuming that this is a full record, perhaps we're looking at something more in the direction of 12-14 songs.

I think 18 tracks was fine for 21CB. The issue is that the band's recent output is too mixed for me to be confident that they can pull off another 16-18 track album in 2022, unless they take a lot of time trying to perfect it

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think 18 tracks was fine for 21CB. The issue is that the band's recent output is too mixed for me to be confident that they can pull off another 16-18 track album in 2022, unless they take a lot of time trying to perfect it

That’s clearly what they’re doing. They’re teasing it so much yet they’re still in the studio. I don’t think they started teasing FOAM until it was like 2 or 3 days before the single came out

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

That’s clearly what they’re doing. They’re teasing it so much yet they’re still in the studio. I don’t think they started teasing FOAM until it was like 2 or 3 days before the single came out

Not necessarily. To me it looks like they just exited about this project. I’d be much happier with 12-14 great songs, rather than longer album with fillers

11 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

How long they have/haven't been teasing doesn't really tell us anything about how long they've been working on the album. For all we know FOAM could've been finished for like a year before they started teasing it. And we don't know how much of this album has already been written/recorded. The fact that the gap between FOAM and this album will be less than what the gap normally is between albums (assuming the album is released by the end of 2022) means that there's probably been less time spent writing the songs. Now, of course if it's just a 10-12 song album, that's probably ok. If it's 16-18+ tracks, then that's less likely

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, GRNSTR10 said:

As a longtime lurker of these boards (mostly) and even longer time fan of the band (I'm old), I can't help but notice a trend that happens: the band posts something or shares something on social media, and then there's a rumor or theory coming off of that that's taken as true and just carried forward and repeated as if it's fact. 

What I mean is, there's lots of comment and conversation that Rob is back as producer that's all based on one photo of the back a bald guy's head. That's far from a confirmation. It's a fun possibility and even something that I would like to be true, but it's far from a given.

The reason I say anything about all is not to be a wet blanket, but I feel like this happens a lot on here (and even on Reddit) to the detriment of the music.

I saw it a lot before FOAMF that I think is why the actual release of that album was so jarring for people (myself included). The actual music flew in the face of everything people had been talking about and expecting. I know Panicland was partly responsible for that too, but even with the first few teasers of this project, the idea that it was following a specific release pattern was floated, then taken as true, and then when the band didn't release something on that patterned scheduled, people were upset and disappointed. 

Love this band, love reading this forum and seeing other people's theories and internet detective work, but I can't help but point this all out especially after living through the FOAMF reaction. 

I mean, why else would Cavallo be with them in a studio? It’s one thing if we see a post with them together out in public somewhere, then yes, we’d be reaching there

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I mean, why else would Cavallo be with them in a studio? It’s one thing if we see a post with them together out in public somewhere, then yes, we’d be reaching there

How are you certain it's Cavallo? 

22 minutes ago, GreenDayItaly said:

From Tré Cool ( Ig's Story )

277047267-125149173209047-65573514304941

Immagine.png

Looks like a sick mixing board!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GRNSTR10 said:

How are you certain it's Cavallo? 

We were comparing photos of the back of his head a few pages back LOL

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

We were comparing photos of the back of his head a few pages back LOL

Yeah, exactly. That's not what I would say is a factual confirmation... 

What I'm saying is that it's a fun theory with some cool evidence to back it up, but not something to just take as hard truth. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GRNSTR10 said:

As a longtime lurker of these boards (mostly) and even longer time fan of the band (I'm old), I can't help but notice a trend that happens: the band posts something or shares something on social media, and then there's a rumor or theory coming off of that that's taken as true and just carried forward and repeated as if it's fact. 

What I mean is, there's lots of comment and conversation that Rob is back as producer that's all based on one photo of the back a bald guy's head. That's far from a confirmation. It's a fun possibility and even something that I would like to be true, but it's far from a given.

The reason I say anything about all is not to be a wet blanket, but I feel like this happens a lot on here (and even on Reddit) to the detriment of the music.

I saw it a lot before FOAMF that I think is why the actual release of that album was so jarring for people (myself included). The actual music flew in the face of everything people had been talking about and expecting. I know Panicland was partly responsible for that too, but even with the first few teasers of this project, the idea that it was following a specific release pattern was floated, then taken as true, and then when the band didn't release something on that patterned scheduled, people were upset and disappointed. 

Love this band, love reading this forum and seeing other people's theories and internet detective work, but I can't help but point this all out especially after living through the FOAMF reaction. 

Amen ❤️

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GRNSTR10 said:

Yeah, exactly. That's not what I would say is a factual confirmation... 

What I'm saying is that it's a fun theory with some cool evidence to back it up, but not something to just take as hard truth. 

Well the scar at the same position of his head is quite unique I think. This AND the combination of a man whose hair color is the same as Doug McKeans make it a bit more likely

22 minutes ago, Flashback said:

Well the scar at the same position of his head is quite unique I think. This AND the combination of a man whose hair color is the same as Doug McKeans make it a bit more likely

Yeah, totally. This all counts as evidence in the column of Rob having a potential role in what they're currently doing in England. 

I wasn't arguing against fun speculation and internet sleuthing. It's about treating it as a confirmed fact on scraps of evidence, however convincing or unconvincing they may be. 

Edited by GRNSTR10
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, GRNSTR10 said:

Yeah, totally. This all counts as evidence in the column of Rob having a potential role in what they're currently doing in England. 

I wasn't arguing against fun speculation and internet sleuthing. It's about treating it as a confirmed fact on scraps of evidence, however convincing or unconvincing they may be. 

Yeah, I suppose there's some truth to this. I mean, the guy in the picture really really really looks like Rob Cavallo, but do we have definite confirmation that it's him? No. Though then again, I'm probably just being overly cautious here due to the remaining trauma linked to MOOTIK. Also, yes, Rob being back (to one degree or another) is definitely wishful thinking, but the official teasers that we've been hearing so far also sound a lot less like FOAM and a lot more like Cavallo-era Green Day (which I realise isn't saying much). Either way, I don't think most people here are grasping at straws this time around, it does seem like it's him. Not saying it's bad to be cautious though. 

• Like 2