1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree it will be later than we think but also it would have to come out this year though right, since the 1972 reference has more meaning as a fiftieth birthday year.  They're going to want a new album to promote once the summer festival season is over. Right now they have shows through September.  Oct-Nov makes sense.  I don't know how common it is to release an album in December, it's a little late for holiday gifts.

Tré’s birthday is December 9th which is on a Friday this year! So if the album does indeed come out within the October-December window, when do you think we’ll get the first single?

37 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Tré’s birthday is December 9th which is on a Friday this year! So if the album does indeed come out within the October-December window, when do you think we’ll get the first single?

September/October?

21 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

September/October?

I’m hoping we get a summer single like Oh Love and Bang Bang

Just a thing: father of all was released almost a year later they recorded it. So I wouldn't put my hopes up considering that they're still recording 🤔 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

The filter has been used since before Nimrod 

hell listen to American Idiot acapellas filters galore 

and the use of the vocals and the wall of sound for 21st was intentional 

BJ’s vocals are crystal clear on AI (and before). On 21CB, they sound muffled. I don’t know what to tell you.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

BJ’s vocals are crystal clear on AI (and before). On 21CB, they sound muffled. I don’t know what to tell you.

perhaps you need to look up the definition of crystal clear… as the filter is very clear as day being used…

and again the sound of 21st was intentional 

• Like 2

Well, we've made it to 100 pages of speculating. Who knows how much longer it will continue but I have a feeling it might be a while...

• Like 3

IMO, on AI Billie's vocal was obviously filtered, kind of a megaphone effect. Sounds great. 

On 21st CB his vocal was fleshy and reverberating. 

IMO the best examples of his vocal without filters is Ordinary World with Miranda or songs with Norah.

I wish they could use 21st CB effects again. Massive sound.

• Like 1

I like the vocal editing on the Trilogy the most. They really took the effects and most of all the background vocals to the next level and everything sounds really clear

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree it will be later than we think but also it would have to come out this year though right, since the 1972 reference has more meaning as a fiftieth birthday year.  They're going to want a new album to promote once the summer festival season is over. Right now they have shows through September.  Oct-Nov makes sense.  I don't know how common it is to release an album in December, it's a little late for holiday gifts.

Pure speculation but I think the festival dates after the Euro Hella Mega Tour could possibly be part of a larger NA tour, tied to 1972.

I seriously doubt we get new music before the Euro tour but in my estimation it could come any time after.

Just here to say: ROB CAVALLO SAVE US ALL 

By the way I guess we will have something at late summer maybe, like Oh Love and Bang bang and after the Summer tour is over I'd say new album AND World Tour ❤️ 

Like arena tour (that are the best, sorry festivals). 

Now I just want to hug Cavallo (if he's actually with them ahah) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I am so happy Rob Cavallo is (most likely) producing GD again.

Yes BV did a great job but for whatever reason that looks like it won't happen again. 

As far as I'm concerned RC is a member of the Green Day enterprise

BW can suck a fat one (seems like a cool guy though)

• Like 3

As far as vocal filters go, it's not that they weren't used pre-21CB, it's just that people think they were used better before then. Personally, I like the vocal production on every Green Day record but there's a pretty clear difference from 21CB onwards.

I'm not really sure why we're talking about vocal filters seeing that they were used pretty heavily on both 21CB and the trilogy (and also to some extent on AI and previous albums), as well as RevRad & FOAM, all which of course were produced by different people. So, in my opinion, Rob Cavallo being a part of this project says very little about how many or what kind of vocal filters they'll use. 

On the other hand, it probably is a soft indication that, as I think @pacejunkie punk pointed out, this might be a return to a more "classic Green Day sound", whatever that is understood to mean. 

• Like 2

Excited for the possibilities. That's all I have to add right meow

• Like 2

Where's the problem in vocal filters? Due to the technical progress in audio technology and the quality of our sound systems, we NEED vocal editing to get the best sound possible and to stand out in comparison to other musicians, and filters are a part of that. We don't want to hear unedited vocals, not even during live performances.

• Like 3

Everyone missing cavallo but when that trilogy came out everyone was like wtf is up with the production rob fucked up and even green day blamed the sound on rob . no matter what green day are the ones that decide how they want their .usic to sound and its not like butch was like put more hand claps. Billie been in love with hand claps for awhile now. Everyone needs to relize green day is killing their sound not producers

• Like 3

I certainly agree that bands or fans blaming stuff entirely on producers is ridiculous. That said, it's literally a producer's job to steer things (either softly or more aggressively) one way or the other, so of course they have an influence, that's what they're paid for. I don't want to get into the "old vs. new Green Day" debate, because at this point I think "classic Green Day" can be understood to mean different things to different people. What I will say is that, yeah, it might be playing it safe, but pretty much of all of my favourite Green Day albums, with the exception of 21CB were produced by Rob Cavallo. What makes me more excited though, is that this is a guy who knows the band really well. He has produced some of their most loved and most hated records and worked with the band for years.  If they indeed "returned" to him, in a sense, it could actually be quite cool to see what they come up with. All along I kinda got the sense of this being an attempt of a sort of homage project, very retrospective in its outlook, perhaps trying to take into the account the good, the bad and the ugly of the band's long career. Either way, I'm genuinely excited to see where things go from here. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

I hope not, to be honest, unless some songs are kept relatively short like on Nimrod. AI is already pretty long, but I actually quite like that it has 13 songs, 21CB is a bit too long for my taste. 

Seeing that they recorded 6 songs in the first round and assuming that this is a full record, perhaps we're looking at something more in the direction of 12-14 songs.

Hopefully they don’t cut it down to 10 songs again like they did with FOAM!! Although they’re clearly more enthusiastic with this one!!! With FOAM, all promotion was directed towards “Hella Mega, Hella Mega, oh and by the way we have a little album coming out too.”

• Like 3

Trilogy vocals don't bother me anymore. They fit the retro sound they were going for. It's the rest of the bad sound choices like the weak drums and guitar settings.

• Like 1