Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

Finally getting around to review the album. I've listened to it casually since release, so it's not a first listen review. This album has a lot of filler imo, so I'm also nominating in bold/cursive, a regular album's worth of songs, I would've put on a more compact version of MM2020II:

The Prophecy: Nothing special, but it serves a purpose, so it get's a pass. It sets the Network vibe. Like 'Song of the Century' off 21CB, I don't see myself going back to it much. I digged it in the promo material tho, when it was short, sweet and vague. Turns out it was the whole song tho - 2/5 

Theory of Reality: The first song I went back for, after first listening to the full album. Which means it's instantly catchy. The lyrics makes it hit that middle ground of feeling like a serious BJA song, yet the synths and BJA's pronunciation of "reality" in the chorus, gives it that authentic strange Fink vibe. Second verse kind of drags a bit for me. I don't dig most of the corona/quarantine references on this album. They feel forced in there, but maybe it'll all grow on me when we're all out of this nightmare - 4/5

Trans Am: Oh my. One of the best songs on the album. The transition from verse to chorus is just smooth and fun. They were right to make it the lead single. Van Gough is the MVP om this album in general. His character is the most well-preserved through these 17 years. Wonder if it has anything to do with being a mummy. I also wonder if Mike writes his own songs, if so, he should write more for Green Day. Kind of iconic song. Captures the comedic cyberpunk concept perfectly. Best Mike song of all time - 5/5

Asphyxia: To continue a point from the previous song, I don't think they preserved the character Snoo that well. None of his songs feel anything like 'Hungry Hungry Models'. They do feel akin to songs like 'All By Myself', 'DUA' and other Tre Cool songs, so I guess that means he actually contributed with lyrics this time around. Feels like Snoo has been recast, but I can get over it. This somg is fine, and fun when you're in the right mood - 3/5

Fentanyl: When I first listened to this song, I dug it. It sounds great. Then I became frustrated with not being able to make out barely any of the lyrics, so I just assumed they sucked. Then I got around to look them up, and they are not terrible. It borders on filler, but even a good album can have a few mediocre songs. It's great to run/workout to and gets the network seal of approval from me - 3/5

Ivankkka is a Nazi: The 'Supermodel Robots' of this album. Most of the time I could do without at least half of the intro, but it does fit the song alright. Contender for best Fink song on the album. We also needed a 'GD' song dieectly aimed at Trump, and this was a great way to do it. More so than AoftDwtD, but I'll get around to that. Great punk tune. Feels 1970's and 2070's at the same time - 4/5

Digital Black: Another Van Gough masterpiece. It really pulls me into the world of this band. Like 'Trans Am' it's a greatly conceptualized song, and it kind of reminds me of 'The Static Age'. It needs that deep, somber tone tho, which Mike pulls off so well on this record. I wanna highlight the passage from 1:30-1:45, where he just nails the vocals. The ending/coda is cool as a little alternative lift, but the song would've been fine without it - 4/5

Flat Earth: I guess the new and ¿improved? version of The Snoo, is a weird goofy personification of various cults of misinformation. It's a funny concept, but it's hit and miss. This song rarely does it for me. The verses falls flat, but the hookline is a reedeming quality - 2/5

Degenerate: BJA and his falsetto obsession... He doesn't pull it off well, but I respect the hustle. The song is nothing special. The verses bore me, the chorus is kind of catchy, but I mostly listen to it for that sexy gated/cutoff scream. More of that on the next GD record please, less falsetto - 3/5

Pizzagate: Come on, what's the point. I guess the short duration makes it acceptable as a short little instrumental, but I just don't see the point of putting it on here. It seems like an idea that never became a song. But was it that important to have 25 tracks on here? I'd rather have been without - 1/5

CUNT: Loving it for it's simple catchy chorus, and Billie's snarling vocals throughout. The title joke reminds me of Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo. But it quickly bores me, musically and lyrically - 3/5

Respirator: Like many of Snoo's songs, the choruses are pretty great, but the verses are... not so great. The gasp by the end of the song tho, makes it worth a listen every once in a while - 2/5

Squatter: This might be considered more of a musical poem, than a proper song. But honestly I wish they would've gone heavier on this sort of absurd comedic vibe for The Snoo, instead of the more straightforward parody stuff we hear on 'Flat Earth' and 'Respirator'. Feels more fitting for The Network - 3/5

THTGY: I don't know if I'm missing a joke here, but this is just a waste of time. The music is nothing special, and it drags on way too long to tolerate. Definite skip - 1/5

Tarantula: Short and sweet VG song. BJA's far off background vocals, makes it sound like 'Hammer of God' which is definitely a compliment. Not the best by VG standards tho - 3/5

Cancer is the New Black: Sexy song! I love the deep ¿burps? and BJA's "alright". Like "Theory of Reality" it rides a fine line between qualifying both as a GD and a Network song. Also great to hear Tre's voice used in an actual catchy song - 5/5

The Stranger: Potential as a decent Snoo song, but it's not delivered that well. I would've autotuned it more to make it sound more like 'Hungry Hungry Models'. Poor man's 'Right Hand-a-Rama' - 2/5

Hey Elon: This is how to do a short filler song. Nothing much to say. It's a fun short idea. It a definite nod to David Bowie's 'Life on Mars', making the connection to the space race of today.  - 3/5

Popper Punk: Hated it until it came on during my morning run. Made me realize that there is a time and a place for repetative tracks. It also made me realize that I need vocals tho. Where 'Pizzagate' and 'THTGY' fell flat, this track got it down. It has some variety and is actually catchy - 3/5

JFPP: Holy fuck. Never thought I would be okay with them so blatantly reusing lyrics, but this song makes it worth it. Makes me wonder if this was written before Kill The DJ, or if he just really wanted to reuse those lines. Loving the horns. Feels like a big funky 80's hip hop hook. There's no shaaame - 5/5

Heard Immunity: Like 'The Stranger' it feels like the idea is there, but the execution is just not - 2/5

Time Capsule: Yes! Such a blast from the get-go. Loving the lyrics. Only downside is the anticlimatic chorus. I don't get it. ¿"Open up to, open up 2000"? It bores me slightly, but the rest makes up for it - 4/5

Threat Level Midnight: Mediocre song. It reminds me of something off ¡Dos!, but not necessarily in a good way. There is nothing downright bad about it, but not anything great either. It's just passable filler - 3/5

Amnesia Vagabond: Cute little song, but its not that interesting imo. Nothing compared to the rest of VGs song. I love the scream in the end, which is the only reason for listening to it - 2/5

AotDwtD: I'm torn on this one. As far as I know, this was meant for FOAM, and I think they should've stuck with that. It is neither a really good song, nor does it fit on MM2020II soundwise. It's a cool listen from time to time, but it has wasted potential. I think BJA should've delivered it with more energy - 3/5

Overall thoughts: There are some problems with this record. It mostly has to do with inconsistent sound. Too many songs take me out of the Network vibe, or are just not good enough. Snoo songs average 2.5 for me, and they are the biggest problem for me. They sometimes feel out of place. The humor is too on the nose, and the vocal delivery is not smooth enough. Fink and VG has despendable filler too, but they make up for it with a few really great songs. (Fink songs average 3.6, VG average 3.1). I'm not a big fan of this quantity over quality approach the band has had since the trilogy. I much better appreciate an album you can listen to, without skipping and getting bored. As is, I would rate this album 3/5, but had they boiled it down to the 16 best songs, I would give it 4/5.

My alternative tracklist:

1. The Prophecy

2. Theory of Reality

3. Trans Am

4. Asphyxia

5. Fentanyl

6. Squatter

7. Ivankkka is a Nazi

8. Time Capsule

9. The Stranger

10. Carolina's Ultimate Netflix Tweet

11. Hey Elon

12. Jerry Falwell's Pool Party

13. Tarantula

14. Popper Punk

15. Cancer is the New Black

16. Digital Black (best closer off the album imo)

• Like 1

It's a really nice review! 
Not okay with everything you said but overall it's good.
I'm starting to think I don't understand Popper Punk correctly now. 

7 minutes ago, madafaka said:

Popper Punk: Hated it until it came on during my morning run. Made me realize that there is a time and a place for repetative tracks. It also made me realize that I need vocals tho. Where 'Pizzagate' and 'THTGY' fell flat, this track got it down. It has some variety and is actually catchy - 3/5

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

I tried to write out a concept for this album, but The Network win again.  No matter how far I stretch the truth, there is just so much going on, and three different narrators.  

I concede.  For the first time ever,  a Green Day related band has released something that isn't conceptional.  

This album is so weird, I can't even tell the overall emotion.  Are they happy, sad, angry?  

Hmm, a concept...

This is gonna be weird.

In the beginning of the album, the main three members are in their time travelling Trans Am. (We'll take out The Prophecy, because that doesn't fit into the story). Theory, Trans Am, Fentanyl are the songs for the happy beginning (we're taking out Asphyxia and Ivankkka, too). Then we get to Digital Black. Something terrible happened that got Van Gough separated from the others (we'll say the trans am got sucked into a black hole that spit them out in different places).

Fink and Snoo got put on Earth. Those two then wrote Flat Earth, Degenerate, (we'll take out Pizzagate), and CUNT. Then Snoo wrote a song about those damn Karens (Respirator). They went on tour (without Van), and when they got back, there was a squatter in their flat. (We're taking out THTGY).

Back in space, Van Gough is losing his mind. The trans am broke down, he's got nothing to eat or drink, and he's having delusions of spiders.

The two members stranded on Earth made a hit song called Cancer is the New Black, making them A list celebrities. (Taking out The Stranger and Hey Elon). They get invited to Jerry Falwell's pool party and take poppers for the first time. 

Van Gough fixed up his car and got some food, so he's not totally loopy. As he's cruising around space to find his bandmates (and making trouble across the universe), he's lost in some deep philosophical nonsense (Heard Immunity). When he's searched all of space, he tries to make time jump, but it doesn't go as planned.

This brings us to Threat Level Midnight. That's what the government declared when they realized that Fink and Snoo (now beloved rock stars), are gonna be the end of the world. 

After Van Gough tried to make his time jump, the trans am broke down again. He didn't fix it correctly the first time. It ended up imploding the engine while he was in it. Now he's got amnesia, he's lost in space, he'll never find his bandmates (he doesn't even remember them), and he's got no way to go on. He dies. 

In our final scene, we learn that Fink has single handedly destroyed the Earth. He made a deal with the devil for world domination, but he had to doouble cross Snoo to do it. Fink feels no regret for betraying his bandmate (he got his feelings removed, remember). Now he's thriving, while Van Gough's dead, and Snoo's fate in unknown.

That's my crack at it. That's the weirdest thing I've ever written in my life.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It's a really nice review! 
Not okay with everything you said but overall it's good.
I'm starting to think I don't understand Popper Punk correctly now. 

Where do we disagree?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, madafaka said:

Where do we disagree?

Popper Punk is a zero for me.
Threat Level Midnight and Theory are a 5.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Popper Punk is a zero for me.
Threat Level Midnight and Theory are a 5.

Also not a big fan of Popper Punk. It just does nothing for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Normally I’m not a fan of instrumentals in general or GD’s in particular.  I skip Last Ride In and Espionage. But in this case I like them because when you’re listening to the whole album they serve as nice transitions between the songs when the tracks are so different from each other. It helps to connect it all together and they work for me. 

Last Ride In and Espionage are kind of long. Even in the album for me.
Pizzagate is 47sec so it's quick and I don't skip it even if it's just submarine sounds.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It's the Wizard of Oz "oh-we-oh" part that gets me :lol:

Btw who's going to do an accurate count on the number of times it says "amyl" and/or "nitrate" in Popper Punk? It goes "amyl nitrate amyl amyl nitrate nitrate amyl amyl nitrate nitrate" etc and gets even more complicated near the end so it was too confusing and I failed :P 

I was just thinking about this part of Wizard of Oz! 😂😂  I was going to find a clip to post, but you beat me to it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Btw who's going to do an accurate count on the number of times it says "amyl" and/or "nitrate" in Popper Punk? It goes "amyl nitrate amyl amyl nitrate nitrate amyl amyl nitrate nitrate" etc and gets even more complicated near the end so it was too confusing and I failed :P 

Not me but I will say that a song like this takes balls to put out when you’re not typically a band that does this stuff.  Definitely more daring than FOAM despite the silly claims they made when that came out. 

• Like 3

Flat Earth and Respirator are related.   

They are the same character, who slowly learns the error of their ways.    "Deep State" is mentioned in both songs, and there's more connections I haven't made yet.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not me but I will say that a song like this takes balls to put out when you’re not typically a band that does this stuff.  Definitely more daring than FOAM despite the silly claims they made when that came out. 

How is Popper Punk daring?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

Hmm, a concept...

This is gonna be weird.

In the beginning of the album, the main three members are in their time travelling Trans Am. (We'll take out The Prophecy, because that doesn't fit into the story). Theory, Trans Am, Fentanyl are the songs for the happy beginning (we're taking out Asphyxia and Ivankkka, too). Then we get to Digital Black. Something terrible happened that got Van Gough separated from the others (we'll say the trans am got sucked into a black hole that spit them out in different places).

Fink and Snoo got put on Earth. Those two then wrote Flat Earth, Degenerate, (we'll take out Pizzagate), and CUNT. Then Snoo wrote a song about those damn Karens (Respirator). They went on tour (without Van), and when they got back, there was a squatter in their flat. (We're taking out THTGY).

Back in space, Van Gough is losing his mind. The trans am broke down, he's got nothing to eat or drink, and he's having delusions of spiders.

The two members stranded on Earth made a hit song called Cancer is the New Black, making them A list celebrities. (Taking out The Stranger and Hey Elon). They get invited to Jerry Falwell's pool party and take poppers for the first time. 

Van Gough fixed up his car and got some food, so he's not totally loopy. As he's cruising around space to find his bandmates (and making trouble across the universe), he's lost in some deep philosophical nonsense (Heard Immunity). When he's searched all of space, he tries to make time jump, but it doesn't go as planned.

This brings us to Threat Level Midnight. That's what the government declared when they realized that Fink and Snoo (now beloved rock stars), are gonna be the end of the world. 

After Van Gough tried to make his time jump, the trans am broke down again. He didn't fix it correctly the first time. It ended up imploding the engine while he was in it. Now he's got amnesia, he's lost in space, he'll never find his bandmates (he doesn't even remember them), and he's got no way to go on. He dies. 

In our final scene, we learn that Fink has single handedly destroyed the Earth. He made a deal with the devil for world domination, but he had to doouble cross Snoo to do it. Fink feels no regret for betraying his bandmate (he got his feelings removed, remember). Now he's thriving, while Van Gough's dead, and Snoo's fate in unknown.

That's my crack at it. That's the weirdest thing I've ever written in my life.

That's my kind of post, literally!  Also, one heck of a story.  

I'm currently working on a theory / story that separates each band members songs into three albums.    It kind of follows your idea of them being split apart, and going on individual adventures.   

Here's what we could have gotten if all three members dropped solo records:   

Horrors in Outer Space 

1.       The Prophesy

2.       Trans Am

3.       Digital Black

4.       That’s How They Get You

5.       Tarantula

6.       Heard Immunity

7.       Time Capsule

8.       Amensia Vagabond

Mongo's Inferno Party!

1.       Theory of Reality

2.       Fentanyl

3.       Ivankkka is a nazi

4.       Degenerate

5.       Carolina

6.       Cancer is the new Black

7.       Popper Punk

8.       Jerry’s Pool Party

9.       Thread Level Midnight

10.   Art of the Deal with Devil

Idiot Savant!

11.   Asphyxia

12.   Flat Earth

13.   Respirator

14.   Squatter

15.   The Stranger

16.   Hey Elon

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

I’ll let @Hermione answer that:

56 minutes ago, Hermione said:

"Amyl nitrate" said 40+ times in a dodgy cockney accent over a catchy beat? What a concept :lol:, I love it.  

4 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

For more information, please refer to "Weird Al" Yankovic's third studio album title.   

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

It's the Wizard of Oz "oh-we-oh" part that gets me :lol:

OMG thank you for sharing that, I didn't know that was from the Wizard of Oz (it's been such a long time since I saw it!) That's so funny!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

I still argue that they took some risks on FOAM. It's nothing drastic, but songs like Father of All, Meet Me on the Roof, and Junkies on a High see them doing different things they hadn't previously done in Green Day. Was it as Earth shattering as they said? Nah, it was just boasting, something all artists do when promoting a new album.

How does one make something "Earth Shattering"?   It's pretty daunting.    I'd say FOAM was a risk they decided to take and it was a darn good one, in my opinion.   

Looking at the track list of FOAM, you really nailed it with the songs that were experimental.     The rest of the FOAM songs are  standard Green Day songs for the most part.  

Back on topic though.....I'm STARTING to come around on Pool Party.   I still don't love it and feel that there's this big old weak spot in the middle of We Told Ya So.   But it's getting more tolerable.

And I'm convinced that anyone who says they like Amyl Nitrate is just being funny.  They may respond, saying "no, we really like it".   but that will be a joke as well.   Nobody in the world likes that song.     Even the Network hate it.  

• Like 1

When I heard there would be 25 songs, I was a bit concerned about filler. After several listens, I'm impressed how strong this album is. I like just about all of it. 

It's not the most Network sounding song on the album, but I keep coming back to "Respirator". Super catchy, great lyrics, funny. The first time I heard it, I thought "Wow, too soon!". I had to listen again to believe it. Man, some balls!

• Like 3

What impresses me is that for 25 songs it never feels too long or overstays it's welcome. I do think there is some filler. Songs like The Stranger, Herd Immunity, and Amensia Vagabond do nothing for me. They feel so forgettable but with so many songs on the album even the tracks I don't like don't impact my enjoyment of the record.

• Like 4