Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

The first time I listened to Asphyxia it sounded like a happy song for a murderer, now I read his explanation on the video and it's hilarious 😂 

I don't remember if I read or watched a movie about asphyxiation and it's not funny, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the song for the joke it is

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Those of us important enough to live in the Carolina's have Ultimate Authority on this matter.   The song is a loving tribute to the south, which is something Fink has a fierce passion for.     He absolutely loves everything about southern culture.     

Also, I'm anti-acronym.  

Antiac: the anitfa of the English language. You get to be the leader since you came out as anti acronym first.

Seems like there should be two reps for the Carolinas since there's two of them. You're the South Carolina representative. 

If CUNT (hehe, I said cunt) is a tribute to the south, then he paints a very crummy picture of his beloved land. Shit stains on pillows? Yuck! Child actors? Even worse than shit stains on pillows!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

Antiac: the anitfa of the English language. You get to be the leader since you came out as anti acronym first.

Seems like there should be two reps for the Carolinas since there's two of them. You're the South Carolina representative. 

If CUNT (hehe, I said cunt) is a tribute to the south, then he paints a very crummy picture of his beloved land. Shit stains on pillows? Yuck! Child actors? Even worse than shit stains on pillows!

I have to admit, that pillow line nearly ruins the whole record for me.   BLEH! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tubbie Head said:

I'm almost 100% sure Mike isn't singing anything in Cancer is the New Black. It's just Billie making his 90's (deeper) voice, a bit like he does in CUNT.

It's great how this album has so many ranges of Billie's voice, as well as all the variety in the music itself and the other guys signing many songs. It's their most diverse album ever, in all accounts! 

If that’s the case then holy shitballs it’s cool to hear him do a throwback like that haha, but I’m convinced it’s Mike.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

If that’s the case then holy shitballs it’s cool to hear him do a throwback like that haha, but I’m convinced it’s Mike.

Time will tell, my friend. 

One day we'll get confirmation (that Mike doesn't sing on that song).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

Time will tell, my friend. 

One day we'll get confirmation (that Mike doesn't sing on that song).

Or that he does 😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Christian and Gloria's is more of an emotional journey rather than the more conventional narrative journey.

I'm a huge concept albums geek, I seek them out in whatever genres of music I can find them, but that also makes me a huge stickler when it comes to their execution so bear with me 😂

If you're gonna have a story with characters and narrative, then you need the conventional approach. If you introduce characters at the start of the album then I need to know what happens to them by the end (Pink Floyd's The Wall, Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory). OR, go with the theme approach and be figurative and vague if you want to, you can still go a long way and invoke emotions in that route (Haken's The Mountain, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia).

But you gotta pick one, I think you can't have it both ways, it turns into a confusing mess. And that's what I think 21CB does. 

25 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

but it does get resolved by the end of the album with the destruction of American Eulogy and the aftermath of See The Light.

I didn't catch on that at all from the album, please elaborate! (whenever you have time to).

44 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

You can think this wasn't the proper choice in making the album, but it was a conscious choice, not just the band wiffing on what they set to do.

To me, it felt like the start of an era where Armstrong starts his creative process out with an amazing vision and then it disintegrates along the way, I can't tell you why, but it feels like that's happened every time since 21CB. Then you're left with sparks of genius spread out through the albums, but the shadow of inconsistency looms over. 

But at least with 21CB there was quality control as far as what makes it on the album and what doesn't, that kinda drops away too, with the trilogy/RevRad/FOAM. I'm making it sound like I don't like these albums but I actually really do, at least 4 songs of each are still on my playlists, I just can't help but notice the imperfections.

/endofrant

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Or that he does 😉

Sure, that too.

We'll just have to wait for a music video or something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

Sure, that too.

We'll just have to wait for a music video or something.

That would be the clearest way to settle it (and the most enjoyable)

• Like 2

I've been wanting to revisit "Governator" since We Told Ya So! came out.   

The first "I'll be back" sound like Van Gough (at the 3 second mark), haha.  

"Governator" is historic because it's the only song completely fronted by Mike Dirnt ever in the Green Day catalog.   And if that really IS him under those bandages, I still feel like that doesn't count because The Network are trying to be something different and new.   

And I know there's been some discussion about how Green Day fans would react if these side projects were released under the GREEN DAY name.    And this is coming from a Green Day Super Nerd......I like We Told Ya So.   I might just love it.    But if this was released as Green Day 14, I'm certain the entire world would join together in a collective WTF.    

Went a few different directions there.   I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd like to hear a pure Dirnt song.  If this freaky, weirdo Network stuff about sex, robots and more sex is Mike, that's cool.    But I don't think that's the case. 

"Governator" is as close as we've ever gotten, but even that one was written by the collective entity, Green Day.   

Mike can play guitar, bass and violin.   All he needs is a drummer and he can start working on his own classic album.  

And not Tre Cool either.   Someone to spice things up a bit.   

Anyway.   Bye.

I wish Green Day would make this many music videos.   

Take a hint, posers! 

• Like 1

Well so far we have videos for 8 of the 25 tracks (including Tarantula even though it's just 23 seconds of it that's good enough for me to count).  I hope they have more on the way.

Omg a kinky Snoo video! 🥵 Does not disappoint. And Billie Fink forced to sit at the back playing drums is always good lol.

2 hours ago, Met Fan said:

After further ear-bud listens; I'm switching teams, I'm on the Cancer-is-all-Fink team now 😶

Agree apart for the one part at the end of the chorus "cancer is the new black", I think that's Snoo.

• Like 4

I still haven't listened to the full album (weird how it's hard to get motivated to care about anything in these times) but @Rumpelstiltskin2000 and our best mate forced me to listen to Ivankkka, Flat Earth and Respirator and they're all hilarious bops. I've listened to a few of the others once or twice (anal amyl nitrate) but those three are the ones that stuck out. Shame The Snoo has now died on his respirator, but at least he never had a problem dissecting a man.

Maybe now I'm going to be a planetary scientist it's time for a new custom title... flat Earth, flat Mars and Mercury too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, greendepent said:

I don't know how Snoo can be an anti mask crusader if he already wears one. 

Such important questions must be answered now!

because of irony? 👌😂

Edited by Pereprimus
  • Like 2

I tried to write out a concept for this album, but The Network win again.  No matter how far I stretch the truth, there is just so much going on, and three different narrators.  

I concede.  For the first time ever,  a Green Day related band has released something that isn't conceptional.  

This album is so weird, I can't even tell the overall emotion.  Are they happy, sad, angry?  

• Haha 1