Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

4 hours ago, Laly said:

Favorite by Fink: Theory Of Reality
Favorite by Van Gough: Amnesia Vagabond (can say this many many many times)
Favorite by Snoo: (it was harder than I thought but) Flat Earth

I like all the songs except for Jerry Falwell's Pool Party (yet I'd love to have a confirmation that is indeed Fink playing the harmonica) 
My one critic is that some are way too short.

It’s a melodica not a harmonica I believe.

• Like 1

I’m of the opinion that when I want to listen to Green Day, it’s for that core sound (Dookie/Nimrod/AI), when they do things like the Trilogy/FOAM, it just doesn’t feel right. Now, if those things were released under Foxboro/Network, it would be positively received by me...cause that’s what you expect of them. It’s all about expectation and what drew you to that band. And I feel that’s what Green Day is struggling with. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Sounds more like it's what you're struggling with, not Green Day.  They seem pretty happy with their choices

I don’t think so, I made my position pretty clear?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laly said:

I like all the songs except for Jerry Falwell's Pool Party (yet I'd love to have a confirmation that is indeed Fink playing the harmonica) 

31 minutes ago, TJChrobo said:

It’s a melodica not a harmonica I believe.

I thought it was a melodica too.  Which at least one guy named Fink knows how to play.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Squashie said:

wanting to suppress an artist to not explore/grow/challenge themselves because you think they should only do what’s in this box your mind creates is not a them problem.

Suppress? I don’t think so.

I think the evidence for what I said is in the fact that they followed the Trilogy up with a AI/21stCB style album...then did another Trilogy style after. 

30 minutes ago, Slave To The Network said:

@Greenday_Aussie Interesting that you'd like those records if they had released under a different name. Makes no sense to me because whatever act they choose to release it under, it's still the same people. Why does the label matter that much? They're awesome guys that make great music. Who cares whether it's under the name Green Day, FBHT, or The Network. Whatever you call the band that released it, it's still the same collection of songs. I don't really get the logic behind your statement.

Then why do they do it? Why wasn’t this a Green Day album? Also, I do like them, they don’t really feel right as a “Green Day” album, if that makes any sense. Itd be like Foo Fighters putting out a modern pop record...it would, jarring, to say the least.

36 minutes ago, Slave To The Network said:

@Greenday_Aussie Interesting that you'd like those records if they had released under a different name. Makes no sense to me because whatever act they choose to release it under, it's still the same people. Why does the label matter that much? They're awesome guys that make great music. Who cares whether it's under the name Green Day, FBHT, or The Network. Whatever you call the band that released it, it's still the same collection of songs. I don't really get the logic behind your statement.

I completely agree with what @Greenday_Aussie is saying. It's like a brand, when you go to McDonalds there is that expectation you're going to go there and eat shit. Sure they sell healthy salads and shit now, but very few people would go to Maccas to buy a salad, everyone sticks to the usuals that have been there forever.

In saying that, Goldfinger released a new album last week, and it sounds exactly like they did 20 years ago. The album sounds great and everything, the fans seem to love it - but it's boring as fuck! I couldn't get into it...

It's a difficult balance to find - evolve but... only a little ;) keep some of the old Green Day on the menu 

Just now, Doggins said:

I completely agree with what @Greenday_Aussie is saying. It's like a brand, when you go to McDonalds there is that expectation you're going to go there and eat shit. Sure they sell healthy salads and shit now, but very few people would go to Maccas to buy a salad, everyone sticks to the usuals that have been there forever.

In saying that, Goldfinger released a new album last week, and it sounds exactly like they did 20 years ago. The album sounds great and everything, the fans seem to love it - but it's boring as fuck! I couldn't get into it...

It's a difficult balance to find - evolve but... only a little ;)

Yeah! That’s what I mean. 
People have made this argument about when AI came out, but the change between every before Trilogy, to after, is pretty drastic overall. Again, this is not to shit on GD, I just like the idea of side bands for new sounds.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sorry if this was posted before, I couldn't read the whole thread, but I have a feeling that we got some FOAM b-sides with this album. We know that Art Of The Deal With The Devil was supposed to be on FOAM and was replaced kind of last minute. Now we got it on this record. My guess is that Degenerate could also be a FOAM b-side because it doesn't really fit the Network-style of the rest of the album and it has a clear FOAM-vibe for me. If this is the case, why do you think they chose not to release those songs under the name Green Day?

8 hours ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

I’m about ready for a Tre ‘House/Electro/Dance’ comedy album. Dude is a Genius. 😂

I'm so here for that too! This is truly his style. 

• Like 2

Yeah, with FOAM and now with this they've done a lot with the 'less is more' approach, they've gotten great at the art of withholding. I'd imagine they'll want to move on to something different for whatever the next big thing is. I'm keen to believe it will be something epic.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Billie said not long ago something like "you don't give what people expect". And I think that a good amount of people missed the point that Green Day is an experimental band from so long ago. Only that side is strongly showing up now and it comes to stay. 

In the other side, now that I have listened the record at least 20 times, the experiments are not only sound wise, but in song structure as well. That's why they are shorter and I felt a lot missed an extra 30 seconds to feel complete. For example, I hate that Degenerate ends the way it ends, because it never explodes. My mind even invented a small bridge to feeling satisfied. But that is a common trait in the human brain. The like "complete" things, and if it isn't, they make it to "be". And our idea of completeness comes from habit and in this case, from a perfected formula started 70-ish years ago when the music started to be a big deal.

Anyway, breaking the mold is the only way to make new molds, and they are searching that will work best to future releases. It will be a wild ride for this next 20 years, but I will be there. Now I want a progressive rock record, but one only can hope :lol:

Damn, I can't wait to see what the guys do next. I hope we still have many albums to come. They may very well be only in the half way through their career, which is crazy to think. I wonder if we will reach album n. 20 haha. 

• Love 2

10 hours ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

Also, just gonna leave this here.

”Open up to, open up two-thouuusand”

”Money money, two-thousand tweeenntty”.

Had this same thought. Not only similar lyrics, but a nearly identical vocal delivery. I don't think that's an accident.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greendepent said:

Billie said not long ago something like "you don't give what people expect". And I think that a good amount of people missed the point that Green Day is an experimental band from so long ago. Only that side is strongly showing up now and it comes to stay. 

In the other side, now that I have listened the record at least 20 times, the experiments are not only sound wise, but in song structure as well. That's why they are shorter and I felt a lot missed an extra 30 seconds to feel complete. For example, I hate that Degenerate ends the way it ends, because it never explodes. My mind even invented a small bridge to feeling satisfied. But that is a common trait in the human brain. The like "complete" things, and if it isn't, they make it to "be". And our idea of completeness comes from habit and in this case, from a perfected formula started 70-ish years ago when the music started to be a big deal.

Anyway, breaking the mold is the only way to make new molds, and they are searching that will work best to future releases. It will be a wild ride for this next 20 years, but I will be there. Now I want a progressive rock record, but one only can hope :lol:

May this post be blessed and set the seeds of a prog rock album. 

• Haha 2

I haven't seen any negative comments on any of the songs on youtube.  The like ratio is off the charts with hundreds of likes and 1 or 2 dislikes.

And the overwhelming opinion seems to be:

"The best thing since 21st Century Breakdown".

I haven't even thought about where this would rank that way, with it not being them and all.  But I will think on it.

Definitely beats Kerplunk and Smooth.  I'm not big on those. Maybe even the Trilogy and I love Trilogy.  

I will ponder this some more. Join in if you like. 

3 hours ago, tdlyon said:

I've decided that Cancer is the New Black, Jerry Falwell's Pool Party, Threat Level Midnight, Degenerate and Art of the Deal are cut FOAM songs. I put those five songs among the tracklist of FOAM (I can post my tracklisting if anyone cares) and they fit right in, and even boost the quality. Even with five extra songs it's still only 41 minutes too which is cool

Art of the Deal is definitely a cut FOAM song (or b-side), Billie talked about the song in this interview (https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/billie-joe-armstrong-explains-the-title-of-green-days-new-album-father-of-all/), but surprisingly, it never showed up on the record. I wonder why they chose not to put it on FOAM, I love the song and it fits the FOAM vibe much better than the Network vibe. I also agree about the other songs.

• Like 3