Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

28 minutes ago, Tubbie Head said:

I just saw a comment on YouTube pointing out that the very start of Hey Elon could be a reference to Good Riddance (wrong chords being played at first) and I hadn't noticed it before but I think that's correct and an absolutely brilliant touch! Haha

Do you mean the stop start stop start bit, could be, hadn't really noticed it before you mentioned it, not sure why they would do that but it would be like them, referencing themselves again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

The album leaked 2 weeks before the album dropped and even if you didn't get the leak several songs were heard prior to the album dropping. You knew you didn't like it before you bought it. You actually really like the album. 

21st Century Breakdown is actually one of my favourites! Easily top 3 I would say. Didn't know about the leak though. It was the first GD album that came, when I liked GD. It's very nostalgic for me.

6 hours ago, Paxton said:

https://www.punknews.org/amp/review/4350/green-day-jimmy-eat-world-against-me-live-in-east-rutherford

Been looking for a few hours and found this. Not comprehensive of their act that night by any means, but it lists a few of the songs they played. Hope this helps you out.

yeah that's still pretty cool and satisfied some of my curiosity, thanks! the thought of Against Me! playing giant's stadium is just so nuts to me haha, wish I could've been there

• Like 1

No explicit reference to anyone else, I don’t want to bring back the comparison game, and I have to give it some time but... I think this might actually be my favorite record of the year 39.gif Fucking conspiracy bratwurst eaters. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The hype will die down pretty soon when everyone realizes there really only a song or two worth keeping and will move on to the next Green Day thing. :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Eric said:

The hype will die down pretty soon when everyone realizes there really only a song or two worth keeping and will move on to the next Green Day thing. :lol: 

I think you're right in regards to the hype. It's Green Day fan behaviour. I'm guilty of this, I love the band and I'm excited to hear something new but as we process it then it's no longer new and we see it for what we believe it really is. 

I do think personally I'll take more than two songs out of this but we're all different. I've really expanded my musical tastes over the last 8-10 years and have become very open minded. In some cases I may not entirely enjoy some of the songs at 100% but as a musician there are bits and pieces that I may find interesting. I've done a lot of experimenting with my own music after shifting away from my career in it years ago. I've learned way more being away from the music scene than I ever did being in it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Nah, at the moment I have at least 10 songs I am pretty sure will stay in my rotation for quite some time. It’s just a fun album to listen to, and there’s so much variety that it’s incredibly easy to make a perfect playlist out of it.
And, even tho there’s clearly some plagiarism of released and unreleased Green Day material, almost everything feels extremely spontaneous, and IMHO it works very well. At least this is my first impression. Maybe in a month I will be bored, but considering that I listened MM2020 for 16 years, I don’t think so 😄

I always loved this project as a concept first, love cyber and sci-fi stuff, love electronic music, it’s just cool. And to me it’s amazing how this time the went heavy on this crazy mix of almost classic punk, electronic and dance music, and and just pure weirdness. Both with the music and the marketing. Just cool. 

Not gonna fade away that easily...

• Like 2
  • Love 2

There are songs on here that I really wish were longer, like Theory of Reality (same with Heard Immunity, but that's because it ends when it starts getting good, whereas TOR is great all the way through).  I remember people complaining about the shortness or incompleteness of songs on FOAM; for me, those songs all felt the correct length, but I do feel it here.

Oddly enough, Mike's songs on this album are the, I don't want to say worst, but they stand out the least, with the exception of Trans Am, which is great.  Obviously Billie's are largely the best, but I went in fully not expecting anything from Tre's songs, and was pleasantly surprised.  I just feel Mike's songs take a backseat to Billie's and Tre's, which is funny, because Mike's seem the most classic Network.

• Like 2

I love it, but it's over bloated.  

Here's my Un Super Omega Mix version of the album, with condensed tracklist.   Let the Trilogy be a Trilogy, but this one could stand some cuts:  

1. The Prophecy

2. Theory of Reality

3. Trans AM

4. Asphxia 

5. fentanyl 

6.  Ivannkka is a Nazi

7.  Flat Earth

8. Denerate

9.  South Carolina's Ultimate Test and Netflix Tweet (SCUTANT) 

10.   Respirator

11. Tarantula

12. Heard Immunity

13. Time Capsule

14. Threat Level Midnight.

15. Amnesia Vagabond (or the Tragedy of Earless, Noseless Monstrosity Known as Van Gough Dirnt)

16.  Art of the Devil with the Devil (While He's Crawling away with fistfuls of cash in the west wild that's being one)  Part I  

At the moment, for me these are the stand outs:

- Theory of reality
- Trans Am
- Fentanyl 
- Ivankkka
- Degenerate
- CUNT
- Squatter (fuck it kills me every fucking time)
- That’s how they get you
- Cancer is the new black
- Popper Punk
- JFPP 
- Threat level midnight 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Oddly enough, Mike's songs on this album are the, I don't want to say worst, but they stand out the least, with the exception of Trans Am, which is great.  Obviously Billie's are largely the best, but I went in fully not expecting anything from Tre's songs, and was pleasantly surprised.  I just feel Mike's songs take a backseat to Billie's and Tre's, which is funny, because Mike's seem the most classic Network.

I agree, but I'm glad to have Mike's songs there to give the classic Network vibe. And Time Capsule is awesome with the fun wordplay that's so Mike. It's a bit of a shame there's no Mike and Billie duets, that might've boosted some of the Mike stuff (not that he isn't good alone, but they're just really good together).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

In future Green Day history, this Network album will be much more transcendental than FOAM when we will talk about 2020

It's weird to think that at some point in the future, we can say that all this came out 20 years ago, when now Warning was 20 years ago. I wonder where the line between new and old Green Day is? In 2040, we will have fans, who weren't even born in 2020 or before. The guys would be nearing their 70s. Definitely can see them doing music still.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

In future Green Day history, this Network album will be much more transcendental than FOAM when we will talk about 2020

I think that they are very different “concepts”, and they tell different and similar things about these two bands... but I do agree that I prefer think kind of “concept”. This record feels weird, spontaneous and fun. I still think that FOAM is well produced, has an interesting sound, and is fun, and this is still something I love about Green Day and that record.
But I love weird, punk, satirical, fun stuff, more than well produced and nice concepts, and this record wants to be a weird, fun, satiric, spontaneous thing, and it definitely manages to sound like that :D 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

After 48 hours of listening:

Theory of reality, fentanyl, ivankkka,, carolina, cáncer, heard inmunnity and level midnight have solid level for being in a Green Day album... Great songs

Asphyxia is good too, but I think that it would be much better with Fink singing 

Squatter and hey Elon are strange, but I lake them too. So funny. Like to hear Tre singing again. 

Degenerate and Devil sounds to FOAM, but in that dynamic could be good songs (I don't like that sound for Green Day) 

All the other songs sounds to weird, simple or far away of Green Day roots

52 minutes ago, Montclare said:

There are songs on here that I really wish were longer, like Theory of Reality (same with Heard Immunity, but that's because it ends when it starts getting good, whereas TOR is great all the way through).  I remember people complaining about the shortness or incompleteness of songs on FOAM; for me, those songs all felt the correct length, but I do feel it here.

I feel like Van Gough shines at the tail end of the record, the last five songs in particular.  The Snoo songs aren't bad, but I'd much rather heard more Van Gough or Fink.     

13 minutes ago, Elxufinnishidiot said:

It's weird to think that at some point in the future, we can say that all this came out 20 years ago, when now Warning was 20 years ago. I wonder where the line between new and old Green Day is? In 2040, we will have fans, who weren't even born in 2020 or before. The guys would be nearing their 70s. Definitely can see them doing music still.

I always remember in high school, like 1998, people were already saying that they liked Green Day, but preferred "old" Green Day.  Now obviously, that era is considered old Green Day, but people were already doing it that early in their career.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Karol Oliveira said:

What do you guys think "That's How They Get You" is about? Any theories?

Paranoia Billie experienced during a prolonged coke binge

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I always remember in high school, like 1998, people were already saying that they liked Green Day, but preferred "old" Green Day.  Now obviously, that era is considered old Green Day, but people were already doing it that early in their career.

I was 10 in 94 when I fell in love with Dookie and this band (I had a cassette recording of Longview off the radio I used to play over and over before even getting the album - ahh memories). My brother (4 years older) liked them at first but a couple months after they blew up, him and his friends were among the “Green Day sold out, they suck, blah blah” contingent. Point here is the hatred of this band started very early once they got big. The good news is my brother eventually came around to liking them again and still does.

• Like 2

Shame on me, I still didn‘t listen to the full album. Today I had to decide between Money Money 2020 Pt II and Lady Gaga‘s Joanne and Gaga made the race 😂 but I‘m really looking forward to discussing with you tomorrow after I finally listened to the album

• Like 2