Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

3 hours ago, Paxton said:

Stadiums are not arenas bud. 

The difference between a stadium and an arena is one has a roof. Both are huge accomplishments. There are also arenas that exceed the capacity of certain stadiums. 

The point is not whether they played stadiums or arenas the point is that they were building huge momentum prior to AI dropping. They were at Reading Festival in 2001 which was a huge show for them at the time. It wasn't just them playing arenas or stadiums in North America but they were doing it around the world. 

I'm sure you were around at the time so you know for a fact GD's live show was getting mad respect prior to AI dropping. If you weren't or for whatever reason wasn't aware of it there's a ton of archived articles online you can find with reviews of their shows from that time period. Even reporters at the time were saying if they could just release an album that supports their show they'll make history. 

some of these songs were FOAM leftovers and they "experimented" with FOAM, no? Although I'd call it running out of ideas and trying to appeal to an audience that doesn't exist more than I'd call it experimentation. 

Some of the most successful people in the world failed prior to the big success. They're also a band that's been around for 30 years and have written hundreds or even thousands of songs so with a sample size that large there's gonna be songs that fall short or even full albums in this case. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

The difference between a stadium and an arena is one has a roof. Both are huge accomplishments. There are also arenas that exceed the capacity of certain stadiums. 

The point is not whether they played stadiums or arenas the point is that they were building huge momentum prior to AI dropping. They were at Reading Festival in 2001 which was a huge show for them at the time. It wasn't just them playing arenas or stadiums in North America but they were doing it around the world. 

I'm sure you were around at the time so you know for a fact GD's live show was getting mad respect prior to AI dropping. If you weren't or for whatever reason wasn't aware of it there's a ton of archived articles online you can find with reviews of their shows from that time period. Even reporters at the time were saying if they could just release an album that supports their show they'll make history. 

I'm not fighting you on how good they were live or anything. Also, some stadiums have roofs. Maybe you're from a different country or something but stadiums in the US have capacities that triple and quadruple the capacities of arenas. Green Day could not have played a show at Giants Stadium before AI....or any STADIUM in the US or Canada. There was also zero momentum "building" before AI. They were dead in the water. A lot of bands played Reading. Dude they were on life support after Nimrod. That's a fact. Your username and photo made me laugh out loud by the way

12 minutes ago, Herroon said:

no worries, figured it was a long shot given it was fifteen years ago and all haha

I'm scouring the web to see if I can find you anything. The Green Day portion of the show is on YouTube though....I'm pretty sure it's still the largest show they've played in North America so check it out 

It's crazy to think that we had 50 songs between new ones and covers this year. For me it was something unexpected.

Do you guys remember something like this before? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John.reject23 said:

It's crazy to think that we had 50 songs between new ones and covers this year. For me it was something unexpected.

Well, if you count the original money money 2020, American Idiot, the unreleased b-sides, C&V and the X-mas covers that would come pretty close, haha.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John.reject23 said:

I'd trade it all in for a semi-decent GD record. Don't need to hear BJ do covers that are significantly worse than the originals....or anyone for that matter. More songs does not = better.

5 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Well, if you count the original money money 2020, American Idiot, the unreleased b-sides, C&V and the X-mas covers that would come pretty close, haha.

I meant all in a same year 😁

I'm not fighting you on how good they were live or anything. Also, some stadiums have roofs. Maybe you're from a different country or something but stadiums in the US have capacities that triple and quadruple the capacities of arenas. Green Day could not have played a show at Giants Stadium before AI....or any STADIUM in the US or Canada. There was also zero momentum "building" before AI. They were dead in the water. A lot of bands played Reading. Dude they were on life support after Nimrod. That's a fact. Your username and photo made me laugh out loud by the way

It's no doubt it was a volatile time for GD after Nimrod but there was definite momentum building in their live shows. You're absolutely right they would not be able to play Giants Stadium prior to 2004 or 2005 however, they did play a show to about 30,000 in Japan in 2001. They played to over 20,000 a night several times as headliners in 2001 and 2002. For rock music at the time it was pretty much the standard in North America. You have your select acts that play the larger venues you mentioned but you're doing just fine if you're playing to 20,000 people a night. 

That was a band with literally no record sales at the time so that is quite impressive. There was no doubt that the band would have no issue reaching platinum status again, it was multi platinum status that was in the question at the time. When you tour hard and play larger shows more people become aware of your music. 

When they played Giants Stadium that was in support of an album that sold 6 million records in the US and is arguably the album of that decade. That amazing show you saw was in the making going back to 2001-2002. Green Day started laying the groundwork for the legacy they were about to create shortly after Warning. Trust me that response from Warning scared the hell out of them. 

That time was still the most volatile time in their career there's no doubt about it but they were recognized as one of the better live bands at that time. They were also a huge draw for the Warped Tour around that time and back then it actually meant something before the emo invasion. 

.I'm pretty sure it's still the largest show they've played in North America so check it out 

Wasn't the Oakland Coliseum show 100,000 people? From my understanding Giants Stadium was 80,000 unless there's additional capacity during a concert. I'm looking into it to see if we can get more valid numbers for both. 

What does this mean for the next Green Day record?   Long or short?   They definitely need an original amount of songs.   Very important.  

11 tracks?   Sounds lame. 

16 tracks?   mmm, maybe.  

17,19,20,21,22,23,24,26 or more are all new and exciting possibilities.   

All the songs on Money Money 2020 are short.   11 are under 2 minutes and "Art of the Whatever" is the longest song on here.   It probably got booted off Father of All because ole Billie Joe "hates long songs"  and 3:33 is just epic and mindblowing to Green Day now.  

I really like this album.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

It's no doubt it was a volatile time for GD after Nimrod but there was definite momentum building in their live shows. You're absolutely right they would not be able to play Giants Stadium prior to 2004 or 2005 however, they did play a show to about 30,000 in Japan in 2001. They played to over 20,000 a night several times as headliners in 2001 and 2002. For rock music at the time it was pretty much the standard in North America. You have your select acts that play the larger venues you mentioned but you're doing just fine if you're playing to 20,000 people a night. 

That was a band with literally no record sales at the time so that is quite impressive. There was no doubt that the band would have no issue reaching platinum status again, it was multi platinum status that was in the question at the time. When you tour hard and play larger shows more people become aware of your music. 

When they played Giants Stadium that was in support of an album that sold 6 million records in the US and is arguably the album of that decade. That amazing show you saw was in the making going back to 2001-2002. Green Day started laying the groundwork for the legacy they were about to create shortly after Warning. Trust me that response from Warning scared the hell out of them. 

That time was still the most volatile time in their career there's no doubt about it but they were recognized as one of the better live bands at that time. They were also a huge draw for the Warped Tour around that time and back then it actually meant something before the emo invasion. 

Wasn't the Oakland Coliseum show 100,000 people? From my understanding Giants Stadium was 80,000 unless there's additional capacity during a concert. 

Not sure...you could be correct there. I checked out after 2005. Bought 21CB when it came out and was disappointed beyond belief. Listened to the trilogy a few times in 2012 and kept my distance. I liked RevRad relatively speaking compared to everything that came before it post AI. FOAM totally shot my fandom back to the fact that it's just nostalgia at this point. It's entirely possible they played a larger US show since Giants Stadium

Not sure...you could be correct there. I checked out after 2005. Bought 21CB when it came out and was disappointed beyond belief. Listened to the trilogy a few times in 2012 and kept my distance. I liked RevRad relatively speaking compared to everything that came before it post AI. FOAM totally shot my fandom back to the fact that it's just nostalgia at this point. It's entirely possible they played a larger US show since Giants Stadium

I'm still trying to get the info cause I'm actually curious. I mean regardless of attendance I'd rather go to the Giants Stadium show it was one of their best ever. I know a guy in Florida that lived in New York at that time and he went to the show and he's told me about it several times. 

So what I found is that the seating capacity for Giants Stadium was 80,000 but I believe that would be the set up for an NFL football game. Where was the stage set up at the show? The very back utilizing the whole field? We may need to do some math to figure out the capacity of the floors to get a valid estimate. 

Ok so I got some info: The record for Giants Stadium's attendance was broken in 2009 by U2: 84, 472 people were in attendance. So we know that the Green Day show at Giants Stadium is not the largest US GD show to date. The attendance was somewhere between 81,500 and 84,000 people. 

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

Now I'm singing Cher.   great.  

I sing Cher in the voice of that dude from Nickelback - funny story about him I once saw him in Toronto and I made him cry cause I sang "It's been a while" to him lmaoooo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I'm still trying to get the info cause I'm actually curious. I mean regardless of attendance I'd rather go to the Giants Stadium show it was one of their best ever. I know a guy in Florida that lived in New York at that time and he went to the show and he's told me about it several times. 

So what I found is that the seating capacity for Giants Stadium was 80,000 but I believe that would be the set up for an NFL football game. Where was the stage set up at the show? The very back utilizing the whole field? We may need to do some math to figure out the capacity of the floors to get a valid estimate. 

Ok so I got some info: The record for Giants Stadium's attendance was broken in 2009 by U2: 84, 472 people were in attendance. So we know that the Green Day show at Giants Stadium is not the largest US GD show to date. The attendance was somewhere between 81,500 and 84,000 people. 

I sing Cher in the voice of that dude from Nickelback - funny story about him I once saw him in Toronto and I made him cry cause I sang "It's been a while" to him lmaoooo

We all want The Network to go in a much more Nickelbacky direction.

It's probably not going to happen.   Did he say anything or just burst into tears?   

We all want The Network to go in a much more Nickelbacky direction.

It's probably not going to happen.   Did he say anything or just burst into tears?   

He was signing an autograph for the only fan that showed up for them. On Queen Street we had our Much Music building - Green Day played their once during Warning promo. Then the bands would come out to this big window and greet the fans or in their case to greet their only fan. 

I basically sang Creed at him and he instantly got pissed. You could see it in his face, I ruined his day. Then my friend called him a faggot right to his face which I still can't believe he did. That part may have been excessive. He was pretty much on the verge of tears - it was a hard day the Much Music thing wasn't a big success for them that day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheenius said:

He was signing an autograph for the only fan that showed up for them. On Queen Street we had our Much Music building - Green Day played their once during Warning promo. Then the bands would come out to this big window and greet the fans or in their case to greet their only fan. 

I basically sang Creed at him and he instantly got pissed. You could see it in his face, I ruined his day. Then my friend called him a faggot right to his face which I still can't believe he did. That part may have been excessive. He was pretty much on the verge of tears - it was a hard day the Much Music thing wasn't a big success for them that day. 

This is strange but Chad Kroeger has more money than Billie Joe of that Green Something or other band.    Isn't that wild?   

Anyway.   I've been researching the Devo side to The Network mystery.      I have concluded that none of the members are from Devo.  So that's debunked.

This is strange but Chad Kroeger has more money than Billie Joe of that Green Something or other band.    Isn't that wild?   

Anyway.   I've been researching the Devo side to The Network mystery.      I have concluded that none of the members are from Devo.  So that's debunked.

Does he actually have more money? I know they've sold like 50 million records worldwide or something like that. Which leads me to wonder who the hell bought those records? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Does he actually have more money? I know they've sold like 50 million records worldwide or something like that. Which leads me to wonder who the hell bought those records? 

Yes Chad’s at 80 million 

He also owns a lot of real estate and has stakes in several businesses that also plays into the net worth 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Yes Chad’s at 80 million 

He also owns a lot of real estate and has stakes in several businesses that also plays into the net worth 

Well if he owns any real estate here in Toronto that would make a lot of sense. Housing prices have quadrupled over the last 10-15 years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

OMG stop it with Popper Punk I can't stand this song 😂

Give in to it. You know you want to...😏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's obviously too long and has some filler but I think that's kind of the point, I think it's supposed to just be a purposely indulgent collection of goofy experimental shit. There's some legit great songs on here too like Theory of Reality, Fentanyl, Ivankkka is a Nazi, Degenerate, Tarantula, Cancer is the New Black, Jerry Falwell's Pool Party and Art of the Deal with the Devil, I definitely agree that a lot of the Billie songs were almost definitely the cut FOAM songs. My only real complaint is that there's not nearly enough Mike on here, he was such a big part of the first album, he sang lead just as much if not more than Billie and his voice is really great for this kind of music. Definitely would have sacrificed some of the Tre songs for more of his. Either way this is a really interesting entry into the Green Day canon

I would really love for them to bring some of this experimentation in a more serious form over to Green Day, I wish they didn't keep this kind of stuff to their side projects

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sheenius said:

First of all....you were wrong when you said they headlined stadiums before AI. Second, O.Co doesn't support the capacity of 100,000 people. You clearly do not live in the states/or you don't like sports and you have zero knowledge of NFL stadiums. Also, just because U2 has the record for attendance at Giants Stadium, DOES NOT mean the Green Day show at Giants Stadium wasn't THEIR biggest show in the US. I'm backing out of this discussion with you because you keep saying shit that is irrelevant and makes no sense. I hope your brain wakes up and moving forward you seek knowledge. Bless.

6 hours ago, Herroon said:

no worries, figured it was a long shot given it was fifteen years ago and all haha

https://www.punknews.org/amp/review/4350/green-day-jimmy-eat-world-against-me-live-in-east-rutherford

Been looking for a few hours and found this. Not comprehensive of their act that night by any means, but it lists a few of the songs they played. Hope this helps you out.