Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

I'm a little behind, but tonight I'm halfway through my first listen of the whole LP.    This is the first time in so long that I haven't spoiled the crap out of an album with a leak.   I was simply busy, but I love that I haven't heard so many songs!  

If you guys needs lyrics, AZlyrics has most of the songs and seems to be mostly correct.   They don't have "That's How They Get You" yet, but all the others are there.   I'm reading along, because that's usually how I fall in love with a record quicker.   

I'm making notes as I traverse this weird landscape.   So far, my only complaint is that Van Gough has not appeared nearly enough.    Perhaps on the tail end of the album.    

*a quick note on Tarantula - Out of sight but not out of mind, a line from Fell for Snoo.  

Also, The Network like to offend with topic instead of f-bombs.   I like that.  

A lot of lyrics seem way off on the new songs but quoting this to help visibility. Specifically CUNT seems way wrong. Hopefully that LP comes with a lyric sheet....we'll find out in APRIL 😑

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

This part I heavily agree on deft could’ve been less tracks I think once I finalize my playlist it’ll be 12-14 tracks 

Do you like the first record better? Would love to see a poll to get an idea of how people here compare them. I would imagine the new record wins because I get the sense that most people on the forum were not around for the first record in the sense that they were not into green day at the time or not even born

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jankowski576 said:

I think if they were trying to make a really great 12 song network album they could’ve done it with the songs here, but it’s clear that the intention was just a fun sonic release and pallette cleanser. This is good for both the network and Green Day

Yeah they could have tightened it up for sure. I also think it's great for GD. Overall it's a fun record for the fans. 

Some of the quirky stuff brings the rating down a bit but as a GD fan I find the humor and charm in it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Paxton said:

A lot of lyrics seem way off on the new songs but quoting this to help visibility. Specifically CUNT seems way wrong. Hopefully that LP comes with a lyric sheet....we'll find out in APRIL 😑

I would almost put money on it not having lyrics.   It's going to have that great cover and a very disappoint booklet with nothing inside.   I could be wrong. 

Green Day usually do good booklets while these side projects have been notoriously bad.   Not one of Billie's other bands have had anything inside worth looking at.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paxton said:

Do you like the first record better? Would love to see a poll to get an idea of how people here compare them. I would imagine the new record wins because I get the sense that most people on the forum were not around for the first record in the sense that they were not into green day at the time or not even born

I would say that I favor the first album over this one. This new one does take risks the other one didn't take but the really great songs on the first record exceed anything on the new record. 

I was around for the first record though, we'll see what the newer/younger fans think soon enough. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Yeah they could have tightened it up for sure. I also think it's great for GD. Overall it's a fun record for the fans. 

Some of the quirky stuff brings the rating down a bit but as a GD fan I find the humor and charm in it. 

I don't see how it's "great" for the band. I've seen a lot of people say this and it makes no sense. Die hards aren't what make up a bands appeal and fan base. Specifically in the live setting. You need to cater to the casual fans in all facets.

• Like 1

getting baked and listening to the record, digital black fuckin goes...

Just now, Paxton said:

I don't see how it's "great" for the band. I've seen a lot of people say this and it makes no sense. Die hards aren't what make up a bands appeal and fan base. Specifically in the live setting. You need to cater to the casual fans in all facets.

I think the point of The Network though is it's not for the casual fans, no?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Van Gough wrote a masterpiece. 

Fink wanted to show off all the stuff he stole from Green Day this time around.  

and Snoo wrote a bunch of joke songs that aren't particularly funny.   

And the other guys.   Well, much like Mike and Tre from Green Day they just sit back and let the lead singer(s) do all the work.    I think Pizzagate may have been a Z song, but the world will never know.   

That sounded more critical than I intended.   Going to be blasting this record for a while.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

Van Gough wrote a masterpiece. 

Fink wanted to show off all the stuff he stole from Green Day this time around.  

and Snoo wrote a bunch of joke songs that aren't particularly funny.   

And the other guys.   Well, much like Mike and Tre from Green Day they just sit back and let the lead singer(s) do all the work.    I think Pizzagate may have been a Z song, but the world will never know.   

That sounded more critical than I intended.   Going to be blasting this record for a while.  

This inspired me to put together a playlist of a Van Gough only EP... I bet it's gonna rule

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I would say that I favor the first album over this one. This new one does take risks the other one didn't take but the really great songs on the first record exceed anything on the new record. 

I was around for the first record though, we'll see what the newer/younger fans think soon enough. 

Risks....again I don't agree. No one is really hearing this again besides the die hards, nothing risky about it. AI was a risk after Warning. This is just....blap. How great was that first record coming out though? Checking greenday.net every day when the website was hot and active...the old Network message board....the announcement of the Key Club show that November and then the Live 105 show....only time I ever wished I lived on the west coast. And then when Disease is Punishment was announced a year later....cut school that day with a few friends and hit the local FYE at the mall. They only had 2 copies. We pooled a few bucks together and bought it I think it was like 14 bucks. Went back to my buddy's house and got wicked stoned and watched it like 5 times in a row arguing over who was who in the band and if it was even green day hahah

• Like 1
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, Paxton said:

I actually didn’t like the first album but I haven’t listened to it since it came out so I need to go find a copy and re-listen to it

I was a staunch person of asking why whenever people would say they wanted another Network album 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slave To The Network said:

I don't know why people are hating on Popping Punk. I fucking love it!

It's a good one, but one of the couple where I couldn't tell who was singing.   It says Fink on Wikipedia, but I don't know. 

I also had problems identifying the singer of  That's How They Get You, which is supposedly Van Gough. 

1 minute ago, Sheenius said:

It's great for the band musically not in regards to pleasing the hardcore or casual fans. I thought the experiment helped push them forward with new ideas that can be extrapolated on for their next project. 

I'll have to disagree again. FOAM was awful. I don't see this as an experiment. It's mostly a joke record. Why are we putting it on a pedestal? 90 second songs about nonsensical topics is "pushing forward"? LOL...the rose tinted glasses appear once again

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I actually didn’t like the first album but I haven’t listened to it since it came out so I need to go find a copy and re-listen to it

I was a staunch person of asking why whenever people would say they wanted another Network album 

Interesting...I couldn't get enough of the record when it came out. I feel the same way about FBHT as you do/did about The Network. I could never get into that record it felt so contrived and forced and bereft of originality to me. I've gone back to it every few years and I still dislike it.

Risks....again I don't agree. No one is really hearing this again besides the die hards, nothing risky about it. AI was a risk after Warning.

I actually found Warning to be more of a risk than AI to be honest. Considering the fact that 90's punk acts a year before saw increase in their sales prior to AI dropping, GD headlining huge stadium shows just 2 years before and getting huge credit for their shows publicy as well as classic rock back catalogue sales spiking exponentially at the time the record company knew that it was gonna be a success right out of the gates. Rob Cavallo talked about it in some interviews. 

The band was definitely psyched out though and felt they were taking a huge risk - mostly cause they got hung for Warning but it wasn't as risky as they believed it to be. The concept and idea itself was probably the most original thing to be released in rock music since the early 90's. 

I'll have to disagree again. FOAM was awful. I don't see this as an experiment. It's mostly a joke record. Why are we putting it on a pedestal? 90 second songs about nonsensical topics is "pushing forward"? LOL...the rose tinted glasses appear once again

I never even mentioned Foam though? I mentioned their future NEXT project. Unless you live in a world where Foam isn't released yet? Comprehension is everything.

1 minute ago, Sheenius said:

I actually found Warning to be more of a risk than AI to be honest. Considering the fact that 90's punk acts a year before saw increase in their sales prior to AI dropping, GD headlining huge stadium shows just 2 years before and getting huge credit for their shows publicy as well as classic rock back catalogue sales spiking exponentially at the time the record company knew that it was gonna be a success right out of the gates. Rob Cavallo talked about it in some interviews. 

The band was definitely psyched out though and felt they were taking a huge risk - mostly cause they got hung for Warning but it wasn't as risky as they believed it to be. The concept and idea itself was probably the most original thing to be released in rock music since the early 90's. 

I agree with some of what you're saying here, but green day wasn't headlining stadium shows before AI. Giants Stadium in 2005 was the biggest show they had played as the headliner in the United States up to that point. I was there 

American Idiot came out 357 days after Money Money 2020.

that would put GREEN DAY 14 coming out November 25th, 2021.   

You know what?   All this Network insanity and I forgot about OTHER albums coming out today.    It's Friday for goodness sake.   

I wonder if there will be more Green Day related projects between MACH II and GREEN DAY 14.     

I don't know that there's ever such thing as too much Green Day, but we may be about to find out.   Haha.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Paxton said:

I agree with some of what you're saying here, but green day wasn't headlining stadium shows before AI. Giants Stadium in 2005 was the biggest show they had played as the headliner in the United States up to that point. I was there 

didn't against me! open that show?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herroon said:

Yeah them and Jimmy Eat World. I can not for the life of me remember who went on first.

• Like 1

Green Day headlined stadium shows in 1994 ... they played Maple Leafs Gardens in Toronto that year... an NHL arena lol 

Pop Disaster Tour 2002 - Molson Amphitheatre which I believe has higher capacity than the NHL arena. Remember they STARTED that tour as openers and ENDED as the headliners. 

In 2001 they did mostly play smaller clubs but they did play select amphitheaters as well with capacity of over 20,000 people. 

3 hours ago, Herroon said:

yes

• Like 2

Just now, Paxton said:

Yeah them and Jimmy Eat World. I can not for the life of me remember who went on first.

Honestly, probably AM! given their size at the time. Do you remember anything about their set or what they played or whatever? I'm a huge fan

16 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I never even mentioned Foam though? I mentioned their future NEXT project. Unless you live in a world where Foam isn't released yet? Comprehension is everything.

I think FOAM is relevant in the discussion. Clearly, some of these songs were FOAM leftovers and they "experimented" with FOAM, no? Although I'd call it running out of ideas and trying to appeal to an audience that doesn't exist more than I'd call it experimentation. 

9 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Green Day headlined stadium shows in 1994 ... they played Maple Leafs Gardens in Toronto that year... an NHL arena lol 

Pop Disaster Tour 2002 - Molson Amphitheatre which I believe has higher capacity than the NHL arena. Remember they STARTED that tour as openers and ENDED as the headliners. 

In 2001 they did mostly play smaller clubs but they did play select amphitheaters as well with capacity of over 20,000 people. 

yes

Stadiums are not arenas bud...neither are amphitheaters. Hate to rain on your parade of a "gotcha" moment.

8 minutes ago, Herroon said:

Honestly, probably AM! given their size at the time. Do you remember anything about their set or what they played or whatever? I'm a huge fan

I do not. Was never into them and didn't care to pay enough attention. Sorry, I wish I could've given you some more info

Edited by Paxton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paxton said:

I think FOAM is relevant in the discussion. Clearly, some of these songs were FOAM leftovers and they "experimented" with FOAM, no? Although I'd call it running out of ideas and trying to appeal to an audience that doesn't exist more than I'd call it experimentation. 

Stadiums are not arenas bud. 

I do not. Was never into them and didn't care to pay enough attention. Sorry, I wish I could've given you some more info

no worries, figured it was a long shot given it was fifteen years ago and all haha