Money Money 2020 Part II: We Told Ya So! - Out Friday

A Worry Rock

4 hours ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

But Green Day's got Satan riding next to them.

Why would Satan ride with Green Day if The Network is his favorite band?

Because Satan likes to "know the enemy" oe oe  :lol:

• Haha 2

Not music related- I just noticed the cards bring gum! And that's one more reason to get them but I still got no reply to my email asking if they ship to my country 😢

Popper Punk is one of the best songs, come at me. It’s a faux ‘90s Dance track with Billie doing a spot on Cockney accent...what more could you want?!

Also, Theory of Reality is absolute rubbish. Way too Bubblegum Pop, it would be terrible even on FOAM.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sheenius said:

I think that the label had them pigeonholed with the new GD releases that came after AI. You can tell from this record they really have grown as songwriters and musicians well beyond what has been displayed over the last decade in Green Day's music. Dos was also supposed to be a Foxboro record, is it possible Warner stopped it from being an independent release? The Network being distributed by Warner now tells a different story than the one we may have been narrating here over the past few years. 

GD sabotaging the FOAMF cover says a lot more to me now than it did initially, they were probably stuck on archaic release schedules agreed upon 15-20 years ago and were told to focus on making the next American Idiot. Don't experiment just do what Green Day does. 

I made the comment that it felt like the band was semi-retired a few years ago but it's likely they just grew as musicians and were facing restrictions from the label and just checked out mentally. 

What you're saying sounds fine and all but I have a hard time believing that. I mean Green Day were in a much much worse situation with warning and then while making american idiot and yet they did their own thing and it just succeeded. If the label didn't stand on their way back then why would it now that rock music is dead anyway?

I cannot believe they would just for the shake of their contract shit on their legacy as a band with their releases the last 10 years. You can tell with 21stcb that they were trying and they put their everything on what they were making. And then they just got sick of trying and started to not really care and being too confident on themselves while Billie Joe started to embrace that stupid 80s rocknroller persona of drinking and doing "dangerous" things.

I mean looking on an album like revrad and a lot of tracks on the trilogy it's not that bad. But from a band that, the way I view it at least, always prioritized their message through Billie's lyrics I expected more than the shit we got with the last 3 releases. People see me shitting on Billie Joe's lyrics and I've said multiple times that I believe he doesn't really try anymore but it's only because when I go back and listen to everything up until 21stcb I see something very special there and Billie Joe was mostly responsible for that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

If the label had that much control over their music the trilogy wouldn’t have came to be... 

Honestly I think the trilogy of albums thing was more about appearing to be grandiose again. The songs at times seem like Billie was checked out however, there are still some great songs on there too. 

What about post trilogy albums though? Even Rev Rad's cover seemed to make it a hard sell did it not? You have to admit at least something with them in the past 5 years or so hasn't seemed quite right. 

3 hours ago, petros said:

I mean Green Day were in a much much worse situation with warning and then while making american idiot and yet they did their own thing and it just succeeded.

I think that was a different time though and a different situation altogether. If AI didn't succeed Green Day would have been on Epitaph quickly and there wouldn't have been a 21cb. 

I do agree they weren't checked out for 21cb but since then it hasn't felt the same. But then again, they've been around for so many years they could have just burned out as anyone would doing a job. Maybe it wasn't the label at all. We'll never really know so it's all speculation. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Honestly I think the trilogy of albums thing was more about appearing to be grandiose again. The songs at times seem like Billie was checked out however, there are still some great songs on there too. 

What about post trilogy albums though? Even Rev Rad's cover seemed to make it a hard sell did it not? You have to admit at least something with them in the past 5 years or so hasn't seemed quite right. 

Yea I totally agree - I honestly think Rev Rad is my least fav album - it just felt so formula for Green Day. At least with FOAM, love it or hate it, they where having a bit more fun, even if it was a "troll" album, which as a fan, I defs enjoyed.

Same goes with this - the band is having fun again, and there's new life to (some of) the songs, and you can really hear it which is great.

• Like 2

Damn this album slap! 
I love this record so much. 8 listens in 1 day 😂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Damn this album slap! 
I love this record so much. 8 listens in 1 day 😂

How many foam listens today?

4 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

How many foam listens today?

A big nada

Snoo's drumming is crazy good, notably in Theory Of a Reality with this rolls on the high hat (hope it's not digitally modified) - could give Tre a few lessons I reckon

Edit: damn, definitely over-dubbed.. but still cool!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I think that was a different time though and a different situation altogether. If AI didn't succeed Green Day would have been on Epitaph quickly and there wouldn't have been a 21cb. 

I do agree they weren't checked out for 21cb but since then it hasn't felt the same. But then again, they've been around for so many years they could have just burned out as anyone would doing a job. Maybe it wasn't the label at all. We'll never really know so it's all speculation. 

A band like GD (or any other successful band/artist) doesn’t really have much label interference they don’t have A&R’s going “you need to do this song or you need to do that song” and they’re at the stage that they have final say so over track lists...

if they was a newer band sure they’d have A&R’s up their ass and less control 

they most likely do get suggestions from Warner (every band/artists does it’s just business/natural) but how much they listen/agree to it is unknown 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flashback said:

Looks like the „Billie‘s songwriting is getting lazy“ discussion is officially over 😄

:lol:

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

From what I heard today with The Network album it's apparent that they're taking steps further in their songwriting. At this stage in their career those are huge steps and it may lead to something amazing for the next album. You can't fault them for trying. Not every experiment is going to work and most people don't have the attention span or knowledge in music to actually appreciate experimental albums and songs. 

With the trilogy there was too large of a sample and with the feedback they got it most likely scared them into a safe play like Rev Rad. I think with Foam they figured they'd make it short and it wouldn't be as bad cause the songs would be more contemporary. Oh Yeah gets played on the radio here every day, I'm pretty sure the fanbase hates it but I guess someone has to like it for it to be heavy in the rotation. Father of all didn't have such luck. 

I wouldn't say that they got scared with the response, because everything got fucked up with BJ's rehab. The band lost momentum and the records were practically scrapped, and the "casual listener" is the big chunk of income to any band, so naturally those records didn't sell well. Also it brought tension into the band and they tried to step away from the material because it remembers them those dark times. Mike said about it when asked about playing live that material "is like an ex-girlfriend, it will take time to play those again".

Even if BJ said "let Green Day to be Green Day" on RevRad, the experimentation is still there (Bow guitar), but probably they got warned in that way. I recall Scheps said that he removed elements that were added by the band and replaced by more "professional" stuff. So, they always had that spirit of experimentation, at the edge of to be non-viable comercially speaking.

At least, to me, this record (Foam and $$pt2) is a showcase of what this trio of guys is capable of doing. I'm happy and I'm satisfied, because is a healthy sign for more Green Day in the future :)

• Like 4

Funny thing i noticed in Spotify, all side projects never explicit mention Green Day in related musicians. I wonder how Spotify is seperating that, or was it another The Network hack? ...  😁

69o9viav.jpg

Edited by Le_Manni91
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I love how groovy this record is in certainly songs, Green Day needs to release a groove record with songs like Degenerate, Art of the Deal With the Devil, Fentanyl, Jerry Fawell's... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

Popper Punk is one of the best songs, come at me. It’s a faux ‘90s Dance track with Billie doing a spot on Cockney accent...what more could you want?!

#FACTS

2 minutes ago, legendary said:

I love how groovy this record is in certainly songs, Green Day needs to release a groove record with songs like Degenerate, Art of the Deal With the Devil, Fentanyl, Jerry Fawell's... 

Who needs Green Day when you got The Network?

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

Just now, Tubbie Head said:

#FACTS

OMG stop it with Popper Punk I can't stand this song 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the more I listen, the more I wish they had trimmed some of the fat on the record and relegated it to bonus tracks (see spoiler for a ramble...)

The VG songs all have a consistent epic/operatic vibe to them, and I think if the record were a little more focused it could hit harder... that said I still love it

Spoiler

a more focused version of Money Money 2020 pt. ii: WE TOLD YA SO!

1. The Prophecy

2. Time Capsule

3. Cancer Is The New Black

4. Trans Am

5. Fentanyl

6. Flat Earth

7. Ivankkka Is A Nazi

8. Digital Black

9. Tarantula

10. Carolina's Ultimate Netflix Tweet

11. Respirator

12. Jerry Fallwell's Pool Party

13. Heard Immunity

14. Threat Level Midnight

15. Amnesia Vagabon

Relegated to Bonus Tracks of some kind (Japanese CD bonus tracks, vinyl exclusives, maybe the sillier ones** where they're clearly just goofing around are download exclusives even, hell idk...):

Theory of Reality

Asphyxia

Degenerate

Squatter

The Stranger

Hey Elon

Art Of The Deal With The Devil

Pizzagate**

That's How They Get You**

Popper Punk**

3 hours ago, legendary said:

That's what Foam really should have been 

@Herroon I agree about the VG songs. They are a bit silly and quirky which makes them fun but the music parts are actually really decent. 

• Like 2