Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

5 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I meant it sincerely, but since they didn’t come back, I guess we know the answer

They are too busy rocking out to The Best Album of 2020 to be bothered posting on some forum.

Hot Take:

Father of All > No Fun Mondays >We Told Ya So.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Grohl said:

Revisited FOAM for my year end review. So how did it stack up? 

Green Day just can’t win. They make an album that sounds similar to previous releases, people say it’s redundant. They make an album that sounds nothing like their old stuff, people say it’s too different. That’s the case with Father of All Motherfuckers. This album drew so much ire as soon as they released the first single. And according to most fans, it only got worse from there. Because everything from the marketing to the album art to the musical direction was so strange, people convinced themselves it was a joke album or something they made bad on purpose to end their contract with Warner.

Father of All Motherfuckers is weird and it’s not their best album, but damn, is it a lot of fun. Green Day said it was meant to be a party record for the apocalypse and that’s exactly what it is. It’s 26 minutes of unabashed, raw rock and roll. No sentimental ballads. No multipart epics. Just loud, rowdy songs that get your blood pumping and your feet tapping. For once it seems like they put aside the notion of Green Day being this grandiose, epic entity. They’re not trying to top American Idiot or 21st Century Breakdown. Instead, they just go for it and have a good time.

It’s also refreshing because it sees them exploring new territory. Songs like “Meet Me on the Roof,” “Junkies on a High,” and “Stab You in the Heart” incorporate more funk, soul, and R&B than they have in the past. And while it’s not a drastic change, it’s a notable difference from 2016’s Revolution Radio, which is by the book Green Day (still a great record though). Ten months later, I still love this record. It’s nowhere near their best and it may not be the first thing I’ll grab when in a Green Day mood. But all it takes is hearing bangers like “Take the Money and Crawl” or “Sugar Youth” to remind me how fun this record is.

It's still the best album of 2020 for me. 

Revisiting a lot Green Day's earlier albums, I realize why I prefer later eras ones.  I've played the older ones into the ground.   Breakdown and earlier, I've heard every song a billion times a piece. 

On 12/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, The Grohl said:

Good review, the album is not bad at all but don't have a direction defined, is a truly mix of random songs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

That's absolutely insane. Happy Birthday FOAM! Still regularly listening and hope to hear some of these songs live one day!

• Like 4

On 12/22/2020 at 1:38 AM, That Dude said:

It's still the best album of 2020 for me. 

Revisiting a lot Green Day's earlier albums, I realize why I prefer later eras ones.  I've played the older ones into the ground.   Breakdown and earlier, I've heard every song a billion times a piece. 

You should check out order in decline by sum41. This album will make foam sound amateur 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macys said:

You should check out order in decline by sum41. This album will make foam sound amateur 

Order in Decline is a very good one from 2019, but Father of All is still better.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, penbreaker said:

I like FOAM but for me new The Killers and Biffy Clyro albums are better. 

I don't know about the killers but Biffy Clyro's recent album?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, penbreaker said:

I like FOAM but for me new The Killers and Biffy Clyro albums are better. 

Imploding the Mirage was shockingly great.   

I'm still trying to get into Biffy.    

8 hours ago, That Dude said:

Imploding the Mirage was shockingly great.   

I'm still trying to get into Biffy.    

Yea I didn't expect that after wonderful wonderful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Otis Big said:

This album will end up being a cult classic 

The least played Green Day album of all time.  

If Green Day don't play anything off their NEXT album, we'll know GD have finally become a "legacy band".    

It's tricky, nay, downright impossible to please all the fans and critics.   I'm not sure what kind of record Green Day would have to make for everyone to be satisfied.    This is a strange time in their career, but I'm confident they have something up their sleeve.   

Maybe it's time they ACTUALLY sell out and make a K-Pop record with BTS or something.   :)  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, That Dude said:

The least played Green Day album of all time.  

If Green Day don't play anything off their NEXT album, we'll know GD have finally become a "legacy band".    

It's tricky, nay, downright impossible to please all the fans and critics.   I'm not sure what kind of record Green Day would have to make for everyone to be satisfied.    This is a strange time in their career, but I'm confident they have something up their sleeve.   

Maybe it's time they ACTUALLY sell out and make a K-Pop record with BTS or something.   :)  

I think they're already a legacy band, but what a legacy. 

Yeah, when you tour and play only one song from your last five albums, you may be a legacy act 😉

• Like 3

But they are playing their newest song, Pollyanna, on this tour, and that song is probably a lot less well-known than FOAM since it did not come out as part of an album. Most fans that would be at a show like this probably never even heard the song before. So it's not like they are only playing hits.

As far as FOAM, it is disappointing not to hear anything from it, but as others have noted, they are in a very weird space. They dropped this album and then the world shut down, and as I said before, I am not sure they consider it their best work. It seems like both they as a band and all but the most diehard fans are probably pretty far removed from it by now. I think everyone as moved on and the band is probably looking ahead to new music. Also, as others noted, they don't have as much time as they otherwise would since they are sharing a stage with two other bands, so they have to prioritize. It will be interesting to see what they do if they do a solo tour in the near future.

I heard Pollyanna today on my local radio rock station. I was impressed. Usually I only hear stuff off of Dookie or AI on the radio.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2021 at 8:04 AM, Thatsername said:

I can't believe FOAM was released more than 1 year ago, time and space don't feel the same anymore and so much has changed. Sometimes it feels like the release of that record marked the beginning of the end of the world as we knew it, and even though I still think it's one of Green Day's weaker records (although I enjoy most songs on it), it's just a badass apocalypse album. Judgement Day never had a better soundtrack than this. Lines like "As we watch the world burn" or "Ain't it funny how we're running out of hope" always make me shiver. It's like they knew.

They’re definitely one of those bands who like to play their lesser known songs, but there’s a lot of pressure when it comes to being a big name and from the people who surround you when it comes to that. I’m sure they’ll play some of these songs eventually in some form. Like I’ve suggested before, maybe FBHT or The Longshot. I’d love for there to be a Green Day tour where it’s advertised for the die hard fans who want to hear their deep cuts. 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

I don't care what people think

This album still slaps

Even legacy bands make great albums late in their career, it’s just that the mainstream moves on and hardly anyone pays attention 

• Like 3

But I would add to this, think about the FOAM release. Think about the months of buildup and promotion for it. Think about how Green Day were on every talk show and late night show playing their new music. Think about the AMA and MTV performances. None of that is how legacy bands behave nor how the media treats them. FOAM peaked at #4 on the Billboard Hot 200 and at #1 for rock albums. All that shows they are very much still an active band and lots of people, not just superfans, want to hear their new music. Yes it is a little strange that they haven't played any of the FOAM songs on this tour, but the truth is all the album promotion stopped when the world shut down. It would be a little silly to try to promote an album that came out a year and a half ago and that everyone in the mainstream has largely forgotten about by now. It's not like Weezer, who just released Van Weezer two months ago and have already announced four albums for next year. Green Day's best bet going forward is probably just to release new music and tour in support of that in the near future.