Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

Tbh the Longshot was the nearly perfect style transition between RevRad and FOAM

The thing is, I kind of feel like Love is For Losers would've evoked a much more negative response if it had been released under Green Day...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

Tbh the Longshot was the nearly perfect style transition between RevRad and FOAM

The thing is, I kind of feel like Love is For Losers would've evoked a much more negative response if it had been released under Green Day...

But it would have kicked ass.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Had about a month or so to digest this album. The high of the new music has worn off so I'm taking it in without bias. 

I really like Side B but I'm having trouble with Side A. The album is so short so the really good tracks don't seem like enough especially when I'm not crazy about Side A. 

I'm curious to see what the other 7 songs are. If they end up being the real treat it will make a lot more sense to me. 

Right now I just don't know how to feel about the album. I personally enjoy it but I can't really blame all the reviewers for being so mixed about it. 

• Like 3

After having weeks to guy digest the album, I have to say that I don't find myself coming back to it very often. I listened to RevRad from to back for months. But when I do listen to FOAM it tends to be just select songs every now and again. Everytime I get to the end of the album it feels incomplete, Junkies On A High is still in my bottom 3 Green Day songs and it really kills the energy of the album for me. Overall, here is where it would currently land in my ever-changing ranking:

1. 21st Century Breakdown
2. American Idiot
3. Nimrod
4. Revolution Radio
5. Dookie
6. Uno
7. Insomniac
8. Tre
9. Warning
10. Kerplunk
11. Father Of All Motherfuckers
12. 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
13. Dos

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

What I don’t understand is they have seven extra songs from FOAM and Billie said he’s written three more since September. He and Mike both keep talking about how they are free now and could release a single or an EP any time they want to. Mike said they could write a song in the morning and release it that night. All that sounds wonderful but then Billie says they will maybe release more music this summer or 2021? How does that sound anything like what they’re talking about? They just canceled part of their tour and are doing nothing.  Tens of thousands of disappointed fans. Why not release music now? The songs are done what is stopping them? They talk about how great it is to have the freedom to do that but then they don’t do it, instead they say they’ll “maybe” release a song or something in 6-12 months??  That is nowhere near the same thing.

Is the Hella Mega tour included in their contract? Bc if that's the case they could potentially be "free" from album constrains but cannot actually take advantage of this until Hella Mega is over.

1 minute ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

Is the Hella Mega tour included in their contract? Bc if that's the case they could potentially be "free" from album constrains but cannot actually take advantage of this until Hella Mega is over.

It has nothing to do with it. He could release music this summer which would be during the tour. He keeps saying they are now free and that is based on the album being delivered and released. Their contract is done. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

They’re just pouting and talking bs in the interviews, that’s the only option.

That's what I think too. Not that they don't have music they could release, but whenever they say oh maybe we'll release it soon I don't buy it. I want an official announcement before I get excited for new stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

That's what I think too. Not that they don't have music they could release, but whenever they say oh maybe we'll release it soon I don't buy it. I want an official announcement before I get excited for new stuff.

I just want to know what’s stopping them 

16 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Tens of thousands of disappointed fans. Why not release music now? 

In all fairness they aren't the source of the cancellation this time. The governments overseas should have taken the disease more seriously and raised their standards and level of care. 

Look to Ontario, before we had one of the worst outbreak of SARS that we definitely learned from. Right now we do not even have a single death from Coronavirus and have been able to contain the 20 cases without it spreading the way it has in other countries. 

As for releasing music, it seems their future right now is uncertain. We don't get to see what's happening behind the scenes. Music isn't going to drop while they work on negotiations and solidifying their future. What they do know is 7 songs are done and can be dropped literally at any time after it's taken care of. 

Are they officially done with Warner? I know they mentioned it, but they brought up negotiations in another interview. I wonder if that's slowing them done too.

Just now, kaylubd said:

but they brought negotiations in another interview. I wonder if that's slowing them done too.

This is exactly what I suspect is happening or negotiations with other companies

Honestly would love to see GD become a part of Epitaph and then make a record with Brett Gurewitz. 

Just do it already guys please!!!

• Like 2

I was wondering the other day if GD might be able to do a live stream gig sometime like the one they did in Tampa? I just want to hear the boys again, I miss GD :cry:

• Like 2

They probably have to sort out their contract plans moving forward before they will release anything new.

13 hours ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

Eh...I think LIFL is more "standard Green Day" and fans would have liked it. Nothing on there is that experimental or different. Just good GD songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

What I don’t understand is they have seven extra songs from FOAM and Billie said he’s written three more since September. He and Mike both keep talking about how they are free now and could release a single or an EP any time they want to. Mike said they could write a song in the morning and release it that night. All that sounds wonderful but then Billie says they will maybe release more music this summer or 2021? How does that sound anything like what they’re talking about? They just canceled part of their tour and are doing nothing.  Tens of thousands of disappointed fans. Why not release music now? The songs are done what is stopping them? They talk about how great it is to have the freedom to do that but then they don’t do it, instead they say they’ll “maybe” release a song or something in 6-12 months??  That is nowhere near the same thing.

I'm guessing they're not rushing into it because they want to have some strategy behind whatever they decide to do. That and maybe want to thoroughly consider all options label wise. With the label negotiation part that could take a while. They might also want to keep writing and see if it makes sense to make another album out of it vs just randomly releasing songs. Or they have pretty much decided on the summer but don't want to announce far in advance. Lots of options. I just hope something comes of it.

6 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Eh...I think LIFL is more "standard Green Day" and fans would have liked it. Nothing on there is that experimental or different. Just good GD songs.

LIFL would have made more sense following Rev Rad and yet still would hold true to their whole attitude this era. LIFL's cover art is also extremely simple but it actually works. 

The songs seem to be more of what you would expect from a GD record and actually a lot of the songs are actually really fun and contain that GD energy. 

Just think about how The Longshot record sits among Green Day's lineup of albums and how some of the songs would sit in the setlist.

• Like 1

So while there is something pretty cool about Green Day randomly releasing songs when they're ready, I also kind of hate it. I would really love to see an album behind it, but I guess I'm old school and just love albums more so than standalone singles. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

In all fairness they aren't the source of the cancellation this time. The governments overseas should have taken the disease more seriously and raised their standards and level of care. 

Look to Ontario, before we had one of the worst outbreak of SARS that we definitely learned from. Right now we do not even have a single death from Coronavirus and have been able to contain the 20 cases without it spreading the way it has in other countries. 

As for releasing music, it seems their future right now is uncertain. We don't get to see what's happening behind the scenes. Music isn't going to drop while they work on negotiations and solidifying their future. What they do know is 7 songs are done and can be dropped literally at any time after it's taken care of. 

I’m not saying it’s their fault. Not my point at all. Regardless of the reason they could do something for the fans now if they wanted to. It has nothing to do with accepting or assigning blame.

26 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

I was wondering the other day if GD might be able to do a live stream gig sometime like the one they did in Tampa? I just want to hear the boys again, I miss GD :cry:

This is just one example of something they could do. Absolutely 

14 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I'm guessing they're not rushing into it because they want to have some strategy behind whatever they decide to do. That and maybe want to thoroughly consider all options label wise. With the label negotiation part that could take a while. They might also want to keep writing and see if it makes sense to make another album out of it vs just randomly releasing songs. Or they have pretty much decided on the summer but don't want to announce far in advance. Lots of options. I just hope something comes of it.

Which all makes sense but then they shouldn’t make it sound like they are all spontaneous now or that Warner was the sole reason why they don’t drop music every day.  It just sounds silly to say “Now we can put out music whenever we want to!!! But first let’s think carefully, consider all our options, form a strategy, take six months to think about it...”

Makes them sound a lot more like their label.

• Like 3

I would love random EPs and singles. My only fear is that they may lose their creative vision. There should always be a "reason" for new music. Shouldn't just release it just to release it. Then we get Trilogy Billie just releasing a bunch of unfinished ideas that could be better fleshed out. That also leads to stale music that is not genuine.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Which all makes sense but then they shouldn’t make it sound like they are all spontaneous now or that Warner was the sole reason why they don’t drop music every day.  It just sounds silly to say “Now we can put out music whenever we want to!!! But first let’s think carefully, consider all our options, form a strategy, take six months to think about it...”

Makes them sound a lot more like their label.

I think it makes sense for them to do all those things. But I agree they should probably stop saying "we can do it at any time" and then not doing it right then. Especially when they have a bad habit of saying "yeah we're thinking of doing ___" and then never doing it. Makes sense that sometimes things don't work out but just not in their best interest to share so many ideas publicly that never pan out. 

• Like 3

i can’t believe someone who wrote all of nimrod wrote FOAMF. just pisses me off at this point. this midlife crisis has to end. and to only play the hits during hella mega too smh. 

• Like 2