Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

Going to really delve into my rankings later, but without reevaluating all the albums today, 

FOAM sits in my 8th favorite Green Day record.   

1.American Idiot

2.Warning

3.Nimrod

4.Revolution Radio

5.Dookie

6.Tre

7.Uno

8.Father of All…

9.Dos

10.21st Century Breakdown

11.Insomniac

12.1039 Smoothed

13.Kerplunk

I did not change my rankings which were done in 2016.   I'll redo this whole thing later.  

5 hours ago, That Dude said:

Going to really delve into my rankings later, but without reevaluating all the albums today, 

1.American Idiot

2.Warning

3.Nimrod

4.Revolution Radio

5.Dookie

6.Tre

7.Uno

8.Father of All…

9.Dos

11.Insomniac

12.1039 Smoothed

13.Kerplunk

I did not change my rankings which were done in 2016.   I'll redo this whole thing later.  

I thought FOAMF was your favourite 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, That Dude said:

1.American Idiot

2.Warning

3.Nimrod

4.Revolution Radio

5.Dookie

6.Tre

7.Uno

8.Father of All…

9.Dos

11.Insomniac

12.1039 Smoothed

13.Kerplunk

I'm curious as to why Kerplunk is your lowest ranking album, I know it's your personal opinion so I am just interested to know.

For me personally, songs like 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield and of course Christie Road are better than even the best songs on FOAM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

Oh my god as soon as I started reading that my brain switched to Billie Joe's voice.

You're a true fan ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

I'm curious as to why Kerplunk is your lowest ranking album, I know it's your personal opinion so I am just interested to know.

For me personally, songs like 80, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield and of course Christie Road are better than even the best songs on FOAM.

I really enjoy it, but I don't have a special connection with it. I'm the rare fan that enjoys the newer more than the older.

Foo Fighters is the best example. I don't enjoy their earlier album except for a song here and there.  But starting with In Your Honor (2005ish) I feel like they became a truly great band.  

With Green Day I love every track, so ranking is difficult.  I basically have to go through each album and figure which has the most songs I love the least and it's like choosing between children.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

With Green Day I love every track, so ranking is difficult.  I basically have to go through each album and figure which has the most songs I love the least and it's like choosing between children.  

this right here

• Like 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Kyrthical said:

I'm drinking whiskey singing ayooo

No. You are doing whiskey.  Drinking yeyo.  

Do not sing ayooo.  Mr. Armstrong will not hesitate to sue you.

Only he can ayooo.   And I'd advice against the yeyo as well. Studies have shown it to not be good for you.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, That Dude said:

No. You are doing whiskey.  Drinking yeyo.  

Do not sing ayooo.  Mr. Armstrong will not hesitate to sue you.

Only he can ayooo.   And I'd advice against the yeyo as well. Studies have shown it to not be good for you.

He's no junkie, he's just enjoying a shot of whiskey by the river while singing ayooo. Yeyo is a lie. And sue me for what? For having a nice, gentleman image of his persona? I refuse to accept he'd be doing Yeyo or whiskey. He's drinking responsibly and singing his catchphrase.

30 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

GDC thinks that everything artists write about are 100% true reflections of their life. There is no fantasy in the eyes of GDC. Billie Joe does Yeyo, underage Billie Eilish seduces people's dads, and John Lennon is a walrus.

Hey now, we're just making a little bit of fun :)

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

GDC thinks that everything artists write about are 100% true reflections of their life. There is no fantasy in the eyes of GDC. Billie Joe does Yeyo, underage Billie Eilish seduces people's dads, and John Lennon is a walrus.

None of these seem particularly unlikely

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

and we all really live in a yellow submarine

• Like 1

Billie Joe lives in catacombs and deals blood on the black market.   Oh God, please let me escape the horrors of Billie Joe's mind!  

Let me get back on topic.   It's been 30+ years since the horrors began.   Let's see how things are going in Literal Green Day land in the lovely 20's....

Billie Joe is choking, being poisoned and losing his mind in blood and money.   Oh joy! 

Dogs are being abused, liars are getting off work and young people are exaggerating!    Does anything good ever happen to poor, poor Billie Joe Armstrong?   

He's an alien, which I guess isn't a negative thing.   I wonder what planet he's from.  

On Sugar Youth, things get REALLY bad.  Billie Joe is fighting in a civil war inside a boom box and he doesn't have The Cure.   He's dying of a fever, but that's the least of his worries.   

Because being on fire is his most urgent problem.   I'm surprised he even knows he has the shakes.  

WOW, I'm having way too much fun taking Green Day literally.     Currently reading the lyrics to Dirty Rotten Bastards and thinking what a messed up movie the plot would make.    GEEEEEESE

In Youngblood, Billie Joe is married to a tree that is haunted by Miss Teresa.   But a supernova is going to kill everyone so it's fine.   

But before the supernova, Billie takes his Tree Wife and uses her as a gun to shoot the moon into the Sun!  Which would kill her but pretty sure it wouldn't effect the Sun at all.   

Now our tides are screwy, but again.   Supernova is the biggest issues in this song.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Billie Joe is choking, being poisoned and losing his mind in blood and money.   Oh joy! 

Sounds more like Nikki Sixx in the Heroin Diaries book

....or really just a grotesque representation of celebrity decadence in general it's a really good metaphor no matter how you overanalyze it

• Like 1

How about doing it the other way? Instead of taking everything literally let’s take everything as a metaphor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

How about doing it the other way? Instead of taking everything literally let’s take everything as a metaphor.

Ah what I like to call the literature class method

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, RisingRedWolf said:

Kerplunk has grate songs, played live, but is recorded with a low quality sound and production... I think Green Day should re record that two first albums or give us official live records of 80, razorbacks, words i might haave ate, never released yet

Edited by Gonzalo17
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Kerplunk has grate songs, played live, but is recorded with a low quality sound and production... I think Green Day should re record that two first albums or give us official live records of 80, razorbacks, words i might haave ate, never released yet

God I'd love this so much. The lack of audio production is the only thing that really holds Kerplunk back from being a fantastic album in my opinion.

I have been hoping for re-recordings since around 2009, but with each passing year it seems less and less likely to happen unfortunately.

The live versions we got have been fantastic though and definitely give me a little taste of a scratch for that itch.

• Like 1

So its been almost a month, what are your final thoughts? I think the album is okay at max. I like it but I’m bored of it now. Can’t stand sugar youth and stab you in the heart. Listening to warning and it’s so much more fun, more fresh and it actually can stand up for itself. Haven’t listened to foam in 4 days, not really looking forward to listening it. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Aidana Shyngysbayeva said:

So its been almost a month, what are your final thoughts? I think the album is okay at max. I like it but I’m bored of it now. Can’t stand sugar youth and stab you in the heart. Listening to warning and it’s so much more fun, more fresh and it actually can stand up for itself. Haven’t listened to foam in 4 days, not really looking forward to listening it. 

I still love this record!

The title track got overplayed beforehand (by me, so my own fault!)   Great song when I do listen. 

And Fire Ready Aim just can't stay with me no matter how many times I play it. I like it, but it is VERY out of place on this record.  Should have done this as a standalone hockey thing.  Least favorite.

So I usually start with Oh Yeah or Meet me on the Roof.  Both just really make me happy.  

Teenage Teenagia Teenagerererer is fun, although I do find myself itching to get to later songs at this point.  

Stabbie Heartie - Good golly miss molly! I was skipping this one for a while but now I love it.  It still feels new to me because I haven't played it a batrillion times. 

The last four tracks are absolute perfection.  They also sound like they were originally part of something bigger and more elaborate. 

Looking at the track list, I feel like Father of all, Sugar, Junkies, Money and Graffitia were pulled from what could have been an epic 21st Century Breakdown style album.   Perhaps Oh Yeah and even Meet me on the Roof were part of this concept album as well.

But then Fire Ready Aim, Teenager and Stabbie were thrown in for a different vibe. 

Overall, a great and fun album and I am really pumped for a 5th single!

• Like 3