Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

Actually Insomniac was received really well atleast here in Canada. 

Insomniac was actually a pretty decent seller for the band. If I'm not mistaken it was their fastest album to go platinum in the 90's. 

It just seems to be overlooked in later years and the band is to blame by including barely any songs from their best album in the set. 

Your comment about Nimrod and warning not being Dookie is why I added Insomniac. Because Insomniac sounds nothing like Dookie. You mentioned nothing about sales. I read it more as sound. None of their albums sound like the previous. Which is why I really love Green Day as a band. They don't rely on their "hit" style. They change each time. If I want Dookie or AI, I'll go listen to those albums. 

• Like 2

The album is fun and catchy, it's just not profound in any way. It's just...there.

Also I love Graffitia but it seems like a forced sentimental ending to a party record. Would have worked better on RevRad. It's tonally different from the rest of FOAM.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DadBod said:

Your comment about Nimrod and warning not being Dookie is why I added Insomniac. Because Insomniac sounds nothing like Dookie. You mentioned nothing about sales. I read it more as sound. None of their albums sound like the previous. Which is why I really love Green Day as a band. They don't rely on their "hit" style. They change each time. If I want Dookie or AI, I'll go listen to those albums. 

They do though? Insomniac isn’t worlds away from Dookie, it’s just a bit darker. 21CB and AI aren’t that dissimilar in terms of the sound of the records. They’re not exactly going from funk to metal, with the exception of a few major changes in sound like Warning and FOAM the albums all sound like Green Day, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

Just now, DookieLukie said:

The album is fun and catchy, it's just not profound in any way. It's just...there.

Which is why it’s been received in such an apathetic way. There’s not really anything to get excited about or annoyed about once you’ve listened to it a few times. It’s ok and that’s about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DadBod said:

neither was Insomniac 

None of their albums were other albums.  

Except maybe Kerplunk. Is was kind of Smooth. 

All their albums are bull"^!t except for FOaM.  

Yeah

Oh Yeah

Oh Yeah

Oh Yeah

7 hours ago, michael1989 said:

Plus it would be a real shitty way to treat the fans to put out a troll album and charge for it.

If it was filled with garbage, sure, but it's not despite what the social media bandwagon wants to believe.

It's got some solid songs on there but it's so unfocused and random that I'd put my money on it being mostly a collection of experimental songs from the "vault" that the band wanted to release, and figured now was the right time to do so with the Warner contract ending, etc..

7 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

This.

Green Day selling Bundle at $150 on their store. If it was a troll they would have sold it wayyyyy lessss than that. 

Mate, you're a fucking great guy and I agree with you on many, many things, but here's a quote from BJA "I was thinking of fucking with everyone and just calling it American Idiot part 2".

I quote this because he's practically spelling out the fact that the point of the record was to fuck with people, also known as trolling.
Again, I could list many, many reasons why this album isn't their next passion project, but I think most of the reasons are pretty obvious by now that there's simply no need, they have been trying to say it without actually saying it since the album was announced and all it takes is a look at that god awful cover art to be reminded that.

4 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Also I love Graffitia but it seems like a forced sentimental ending to a party record. Would have worked better on RevRad. It's tonally different from the rest of FOAM.

Yeah pretty much, I think the issue most people seem to have with it is that they are taking it way too seriously and thinking because it's different and experimental, it's instantly dismissed as total garbage, when really it's anything but.
Sure, it's not a record that's going to go down as one of the best in the band's catalog, but the songs are fun and catchy as you said and they could be fun to play live (well with the exception of one single), so what better way to release them than as a fun kind of prank on Warner? It seems like the kind of thing that everyone should expect them to do now that I think about it.

• Like 1

I‘m still in love with this album. It‘s so much fun! I think it would have been much more succesfull if it was made a few years ago (before or after 21CB)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RisingRedWolf said:

I'm listening to RevRad for the first time since FOAM came out. I'm on the 2nd song and I already feel like crying like I did when I first heard it.

Damn it is so good. 

Yeah I just listened to Somewhere Now - hit me right in the feels & then Bang Bang started & I thought it better be on our setlist.😀

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

Yeah I just listened to Somewhere Now - hit me right in the feels & then Bang Bang started & I thought it better be on our setlist.😀

This album is amazing. Can't believe we had RevRad and 4 years later FOAM..... 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, That Dude said:

People take junk about the title and artwork of FOAM....but Dookie.

Also, while the artwork is iconic - it's not great.

Dookie is dookie.

I have to respectfully disagree heavily. Dookie is one of their most iconic albums and has such a interesting and fun cover with so many little details that range from other band references to fun pop culture things. FOA was literally made with glitter and glue, on the backdrop of AI (to fuck with the fans) and a fucking unicorn, lmao. It screams sloppy hot topic cringe. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pansyhunter said:

I have to respectfully disagree heavily. Dookie is one of their most iconic albums and has such a interesting and fun cover with so many little details that range from other band references to fun pop culture things. FOA was literally made with glitter and glue, on the backdrop of AI (to fuck with the fans) and a fucking unicorn, lmao. It screams sloppy hot topic cringe. 

Exactly this. Everyone has the right to their opinion to hate or for some reason love the new cover if you want to, but lets all agree that at least they put effort into the Dookie cover and it shows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

Exactly this. Everyone has the right to their opinion to hate or for some reason love the new cover if you want to, but lets all agree that at least they put effort into the Dookie cover and it shows.

But we don't care because a cover don't define a good record.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

No, but it’s like the cover of a book. What we see us meant to influence us to buy the product or arouse curiosity. I personally dislike the majority of the record as a whole, but I do also think as fans we should be looking at the image Green Day presents on records. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I agree that in this particular case that the album cover doesn't represent the quality of the content, but first impressions are important and the cover is going to be the thing that most people know about the album before they even hear it.
The album cover is typically an extremely important tool in setting the mood and atmosphere on an album and the fact that they didn't do anything with this cover (when the content of the album is more than deserving of it's own identity) does seem to cement the idea that the band didn't want people to take this record seriously.

I truly believe that the cover this time was done as nothing more than a way of communicating that the album is a troll, and of course they have their thing with Warner so there's that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pansyhunter said:

No, but it’s like the cover of a book. What we see us meant to influence us to buy the product or arouse curiosity. I personally dislike the majority of the record as a whole, but I do also think as fans we should be looking at the image Green Day presents on records. 

Don't you know the slogan "don't judge a book by his cover"?

I think it's the best sentence ever created with "no, you don't have gonorrhea"

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Billie was 100% in the troll mode with the idea of calling the album American Idiot 2 and designing this cover.

Needless to say this should be the last cover he ever designs

1 minute ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I do, and I understand the point you’re trying to make. However even with that saying, we judge so many books by their covers, same for albums. When I’m in a bookstore or a record store I don’t stop to look in every book or read the back of every single cd I find interesting. That’s illogical with how much content there is. Displays are made to showcase books or new records by their cover. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

yeah but typically it's followed with "but you have chlamydia" when you hear it 😂

let me tell you something bud, friends don't give friends chlamydia! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Yes, and I think this is kind of the point. I could never ever picture GD releasing a purposefully bad album in terms of the actual content, so I do believe that the album cover was designed to piss off people/turn off people who are going to judge it by it's cover, while they knew that the hardcore GD fans would at least give the songs themselves a chance.

As a result, yes the cover does hurt the overall experience for me but the songs themselves are good enough to earn an "above average" score in my opinion. Comparing this album to any of the band's other albums where they actually tried (yes, even the trilogy) I think it's safe to say that even though this isn't bad by any means, it's still one of the poorest efforts from the band from an overall quality standpoint.

2 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

yeah but typically it's followed with "but you have chlamydia" when you hear it 😂

let me tell you something bud, friends don't give friends chlamydia! 

Too late you gave it to me last week

6 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Needless to say this should be the last cover he ever designs

I’d allow him one more but he has to promise he’ll try harder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Too late you gave it to me last week

BE9bWrrCUAAtaKr.jpg

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I’d allow him one more but he has promise he’ll try harder

No I've fired him he's cut off 

Also why no Charlie Sheen in any of the music vids wtf?

5 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

BE9bWrrCUAAtaKr.jpg

No I've fired him he's cut off 

Also why no Charlie Sheen in any of the music vids wtf?

Maybe you should photo bomb them at their next shoot and force the Sheen apon them?

Just now, RisingRedWolf said:

Maybe you should photo bomb them at their next shoot and force the Sheen apon them?

@Sheenius I hope this guy gonna be a mod when ur gonna buy GDC 😂

• Haha 1