Green Day perform at the AMAs Sun Nov 24

pacejunkie punk

My jaw dropped when I heard him play the first chords to Smells Like Teen Spirit. Thought they were going to literally play the whole song 😅

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude wtf...I missed the whole thing. This day was so stressful and busy I fucking forgot about the show. I'm so damn pissed at myself.

25 minutes ago, Ritz said:

Thank you!!

Download link for the performance is here! Enjoy guys!

During Ciara’s performance you can see Billie and Mike real good. I wonder what was going through his head? I was busy dancing around...I had to watch it a couple of times.  

Must be interesting to be a legacy act at a show like this. Seems like over the past few years Green Day has slipped into that role as a lot of new artists grew up loving them. Basket Case is a legendary tune and you could see people just loving it. Not so much for FOAM. Green Day seem to be embracing the parental role and Billie doesn't seem weirded out by it like he was during the Trilogy era. 

Anyway, glad the clip was posted because I don't have patience for shows like this anymore. I'm not the kind of person who says "REEEE modern music is bad!" but I can certainly say that a lot of music now is just...different. As I've gotten older and consequently more out of "the loop," I've definitely changed criteria for what is worth my time. A lot of music on this show is like the Marvel films of music: Mass appeal, reasons the audience it is looking for, but it just lacks grit and heart. Marvel movies are still good in their own right, but they're mass-produced, pre-packaged, buttoned-up forms of media. They aren't risky. They aren't raw. Modern popular music isn't risky. It's not raw. Most of the time it has no heart. It's still good and entertaining. I'll still bop to it. It just feels further and further away from humanity the human experience. Green Day has always been risky, as have a lot of other bands. They're raw and have heart, and it makes them stick out at places like the AMAs.

Still no Matika!

They sound amazing, Basket Case is really such an iconic song that I feel like we take for granted around here.

Their new friendship with Billie Eilish is so cool too lol

Hopefully this was the last time Green Day acted like a nostalgia act. As mentioned previously, I'm really not fan of this Dookie 25 stuff since they already played full album few times back in 2013 and released vinyl of Woodstock 1994 perfomance earlier this year. They have this huge tour coming up with fresh and brand new album which will be so much different what they've ever released based on 2 songs we've already heard and they promote it by playing one same song over and over again. Of course, more songs will be likely added when the actual tour starts but terrible promoting when your most succesful and iconic album is the one that gets all the spotlight.

If they really need to do some anniversary stuff, I would be far more interested to see 21CB 10 year anniversary which is actually forgotten album by the band at this point. I just don't get it and I'm legit frustrated. What is wrong with that album? Fuck me. Not even on The Longshot shows or that secret Halloween show last month showed any signs that 21st Century Breakdown exists. Argh. I just want to hear some different stuff now than this same old shit.

The perfomance itself was fine as usual and I probably shouldn't take these perfomances seriously.

Is Green Day a “legacy act”? Well.. not exactly. For one, they’re still making new music, going on a new and fresh tour, charting, hanging around top acts like Billie Eilish and Post Malone, and they ended up scrapping a Dookie 25 tour. The only reason the AMA’s hyped up the Basket Case performance is because they knew it would get more attention. Not to mention that the MTV EMA’s 2016 and 2019 still treated them like a current act despite them receiving the Global Icon award.

30 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Is Green Day a “legacy act”? Well.. not exactly. For one, they’re still making new music, going on a new and fresh tour, charting, hanging around top acts like Billie Eilish and Post Malone, and they ended up scrapping a Dookie 25 tour. The only reason the AMA’s hyped up the Basket Case performance is because they knew it would get more attention. Not to mention that the MTV EMA’s 2016 and 2019 still treated them like a current act despite them receiving the Global Icon award.

Rolling Stones releases new music as well but I would bet you’d call them a legacy band... 

2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Rolling Stones releases new music as well but I would bet you’d call them a legacy band... 

I’d classify them as a legacy act if they’re solely using nostalgia and classic tunes to get people to come to their shows.

So wait, where can I see GD play the opening chords of Teen Spirit? I watched the video that was posted in downloads and didn't hear it.

Just now, kaylubd said:

So wait, where can I see GD play the opening chords of Teen Spirit? I watched the video that was posted in downloads and didn't hear it.

I didnt hear it either...

6 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I think it was just before Basket Case.

14 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

It was just the opening riff before Basket Case he strummed a bit of the tune like he was testing the guitar and then started the song.

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It was just the opening riff before Basket Case he strummed a bit of the tune like he was testing the guitar and then started the song.

I'll have to rewatch it. Clearly I just wasn't paying attention. 

I finally got to watch the performance (still super salty I missed it live due to moving drama) and I loved it! I loved that the crowd was more active than the iHeart audience. It was so much to see Post Malone dancing and Billie Eilish losing her shit seeing them live. The boys sounded great and looked great, with the exception of Mike's weird ass mustache. Though the "Bad Blood" thing felt so forced and awkward. What was the point of that? I also don't want Swift lyrics tainting my GD :lol:And I don't care that they performed Basket Case.

A lot of artists don't get the chance to perform two songs at an award show unless they're getting some sort of special honors. I like that we got two choice cuts from them. I was still hoping to see FRA live, but hey I'll take any excuse to watch the boys on TV!

Also, I watched Lizzo's performance and I loved it! I don't really listen to her music, but I found the song has such a badass, I'm better without you vibe to it that I really appreciated. 

This was awesome! I think that only having Billie Eilish and Post Malone going nuts for them, considering the exposure they’ll get among kids with this, is worth at least two times the entire promotional campaign so far :P 

8 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

This was awesome! I think that only having Billie Eilish and Post Malone going nuts for them, considering the exposure they’ll get among kids with this, is worth at least two times the entire promotional campaign so far :P 

I thought Post Malone's weird dance was so cute :lol: 

13 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

And her introduction of them was adorable 😍 

This was a cute thing too that happened — at the beginning of the red carpet livestream they did a “by the numbers” sequence where they listed X number of feet of red carpet, how many security guards, how many photographers, etc. and the last stat they had was “2. The number of Billies on the red carpet.” 😄 The partnering up of the two of them is definitely something the media loves. They should collaborate.

Archived