Green Day perform at the AMAs Sun Nov 24

pacejunkie punk

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I get that they are celebrating Dookie but haven't they always been about the new stuff, not the past. Mike famously said, "Fuck the past" during the Trilogy era when fans wanted them to play their old stuff at the club shows. Did they just give up on their new stuff or what? Even this era has been all about the tour. Promotion has been pretty poor.

Well that is taken completely out of context. That “fuck the past” comment was to do with those specific club shows where they were trying out new material that no one had ever heard before. The purpose of those shows was to play new songs. When they went on tour for the trilogy and RevRad they kept playing all the usual old songs. At the AMA’s they are rumored to be playing one song from the new album and one song from Dookie. It’s not really giving up on the new stuff.

I really don’t get what’s the complaint here, they’re promoting the new album and celebrating Dookie at the same time. Or, if you wanna look at this in a more “cynical” way, they’re promoting the new album using the Dookie success and anniversary. Which is absolutely normal, I could bet anything that if they were not doing so we would have had tons of people here complaining because “the promotion sucks, they’re not taking advantage of their history” :P 

Not sure if this due to the 5 months hiatus between lead single and record, but I read in many threads a lot of negativity that (IMHO) is totally unjustified at this stage 😕 

Most artist only get one song for these types of performances. If that was the case here I think they would have played just FOAM. In more recent times Green Day have been given the opportunity to play 2 songs at some award shows. I really don’t see the harm in playing one old, one new. At the EMA’s a few years back they played Bang Bang and American Idiot. A few weeks ago again at the EMA’s they broadcast Foam and Basket Case. I don’t see what the difference here is.

11 hours ago, Als5678ors2 said:

Pretty sure they played American Idiot and Bang Bang at the EMAs and just Bang Bang (with the "No Trump No KKK No Fascist USA" bridge) at the AMAs

Ah that‘s true!

Given Mike said he considers the new album to be the best thing they've ever done, you think they would be more eager to promote FOAMF than yet another Dookie performance.

I get it's the 25th anniversary, but every 5 years it's a Dookie/AI anniversary. Lets hear the new stuff. How good was the trilogy promotion (uh.. I mean Uno) when each performance was different. They played Oh Love, Let Yourself Go and Stay the Night on talk/awards shows all before the album was even released.

All I know is we're getting 2 Green Day songs at an award show and I'm fucking happy about it! Cannot wait to see this especially since their last AMA performance was iconic!

5 hours ago, michael1989 said:

Given Mike said he considers the new album to be the best thing they've ever done, you think they would be more eager to promote FOAMF than yet another Dookie performance.

I get it's the 25th anniversary, but every 5 years it's a Dookie/AI anniversary. Lets hear the new stuff. How good was the trilogy promotion (uh.. I mean Uno) when each performance was different. They played Oh Love, Let Yourself Go and Stay the Night on talk/awards shows all before the album was even released.

But they were dropping 37 songs and learned later that it was too much. This album is only 10 and they only have one official single out so far (FRA has not been named a single, just a new song for the NHL). I think they learned the lesson of not dropping too many unfamiliar songs on an audience at once and that it’s better to focus on repetition so people really get to know it.  They’re for sure promoting FOAMF (if they weren’t they would only play Dookie or AI songs on shows) but it’s just a different strategy.

There‘s still so much time until the release, who knows, maybe they spend the whole January with promotion and talks shows and new songs and so on and it would still be enough promotion

Taylor Swift will receive the Artist of the Decade award, so maybe there will be a special performance of some of her biggest songs...

I think either he was kidding or more plausibly like others has said— this will be part of the whole Taylor/Scooter thing where Big Machine Records won’t let her play her iconic songs so other artists will at the AMAs. If they do that I’ll be pretty happy. I’m not a huge Swift fan but I love her 1989 album and I think it is bullshit that they won’t let her perform her own songs so if Green Day does this it’ll be good. 

19 minutes ago, killjoywhatsername said:

I think either he was kidding or more plausibly like others has said— this will be part of the whole Taylor/Scooter thing where Big Machine Records won’t let her play her iconic songs so other artists will at the AMAs. If they do that I’ll be pretty happy. I’m not a huge Swift fan but I love her 1989 album and I think it is bullshit that they won’t let her perform her own songs so if Green Day does this it’ll be good. 

I heard that she won that fight and they’re letting her play her songs after all

To me, anything that can potentially piss off gatekeepers and alike is more than welcome :P 

God I hope not. I really, really don't like Swift for several reasons and I would not be jazzed about this collaboration. But hey, at least I would still get to see my boys!

God knows what damage I will have done to my algorithm but I had to search for Bad Blood on YouTube after reading all this, and a minute was all I could stand.   If GD are going to cover it, I hope they make it rock, and make it completely unrecognisable. 

3 hours ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Lol, that could have been a total joke for Billie to post that on his story and look what he’s created.

Please god....

Archived