Green Day perform at the AMAs Sun Nov 24

pacejunkie punk

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jengd said:

Can’t seem to vote in UK, am I alone thinking that?

I think it’s geo-blocked, you need a VPN to vote from outside of the US. 

I'm watching all these red carpet moments and I'm just thinking "Billie you're such a fucking dork" :lol:

Unpopular opinion: I think it’s really smart for Crush to extend the period between first single and album. Lots of buzz for their AMA performance, and apparently they’re going to release another single or two before the album release. Also the game awards thing, with an announcement apparently game-related. All of this adds up to a lot more buzz for the album and people actually knowing there is an album, as opposed to Rev Rad. And I’m sure they have a lot in store for January and February. 

13 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I think they missed eligibility by about 10 days (cut off for 2020 was August 31st).  😕  

I just realized this. They were omitted from Best Rock Song. Nominees are already announced. 

They should at the very least get to perform to set the stage for the next year where they are eligible. 

The fact theyre really milking Father of All may also help for a nomination for 2021. 

18 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Unpopular opinion: I think it’s really smart for Crush to extend the period between first single and album. Lots of buzz for their AMA performance, and apparently they’re going to release another single or two before the album release. Also the game awards thing, with an announcement apparently game-related. All of this adds up to a lot more buzz for the album and people actually knowing there is an album, as opposed to Rev Rad. And I’m sure they have a lot in store for January and February. 

They got a real warm response when they were announced for the game awards. Most people were stoked. Better reception than the NHL deal. 

32 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Absolutely agree with this, and I think the cross marketing of album and hella mega tour is actually producing positive effects :) 

1 hour ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Absolutely agree with this, and I think the cross marketing of album and hella mega tour is actually producing positive effects :) 

We’re way off topic but how are sales for Hellamega going?

11 hours ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Japan's general sale sold out in one day!

17 hours ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

I think most (maybe all) Europe dates are sold out. 

A few US dates are considered sold out. 

22 hours ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Osaka, Tokyo, Alesund, Berlin, Antwerp, Glasgow, London, Huddersfield, Chicago, and Boston are all sold out. 

Spoiler

Spell check wanted to change Alesund to sundial😂

5 hours ago, DadBod said:

I’m wondering more about how all of the non sold-out cities in the US are doing.

I got so excited when Billie posted the lyrics to Bad Blood and then actually started it. Wish he'd done more instead of kind of giving up after one line. Whatever people think of her personal life, Taylor absolutely deserved Artist of the Decade. Now that's a collab I could get behind :D They both shamelessly sing about love and exes. Perfect!

On 11/27/2019 at 3:10 PM, DadBod said:

Finland is far from sold out.

Fantastic performance, however I really wish they would play Fire, Ready, Aim live soon. I prefer it to FOAM. It was great to see them killing it live without providing shallow and idiotic political commentary, as they're not exactly thinkers. Just strum that guitar Billie, don't worry about the politics.

17 hours ago, Shrieking Shack said:

Fantastic performance, however I really wish they would play Fire, Ready, Aim live soon. I prefer it to FOAM. It was great to see them killing it live without providing shallow and idiotic political commentary, as they're not exactly thinkers. Just strum that guitar Billie, don't worry about the politics.

“ShUt uP aNd SiNg MoNkEy!” 

JYioczP.jpg

17 hours ago, Shrieking Shack said:

lol thanks for your comment you brought me to a memory where I've been to a Rush show with a guy who had political views that opposed the lyrics in some of the songs. The thing is the language used in the lyrics are above his comprehension level so he was just in bliss watching the band perform. Couldn't comprehend that they're singing about things that we would be against in every day life 😂

4 hours ago, Sheenius said:

lol thanks for your comment you brought me to a memory where I've been to a Rush show with a guy who had political views that opposed the lyrics in some of the songs. The thing is the language used in the lyrics are above his comprehension level so he was just in bliss watching the band perform. Couldn't comprehend that they're singing about things that we would be against in every day life 😂

That must have been quite amusing, especially if he was genuinely oblivious. I hold very different political views to Green Day, but I am well aware that a lot of their songs contain messages that I don't agree with. However, that doesn't mean that  I can't put politics to one side for an evening and just have a blast. It's a lot easier to do that if Billie isn't trying to shove his political views down everyone's throats. Just shut up and play the damn song, because when you do, it's fucking amazing.

5 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

“ShUt uP aNd SiNg MoNkEy!” 

JYioczP.jpg

Did laugh at that haha.

35 minutes ago, Shrieking Shack said:

That must have been quite amusing, especially if he was genuinely oblivious. I hold very different political views to Green Day, but I am well aware that a lot of their songs contain messages that I don't agree with. However, that doesn't mean that  I can't put politics to one side for an evening and just have a blast. It's a lot easier to do that if Billie isn't trying to shove his political views down everyone's throats. Just shut up and play the damn song, because when you do, it's fucking amazing.

Yeah he is definitely oblivious to the meaning and morals of the songs for sure. I can't really identify with the whole left, center or right thing nor do I identify with a political party. I will say some of Billie's political speeches don't really pertain to my country of origin. I understand American politics and why he's speaking about specific topics with the opinion that he has but where I'm from some of the issues are polar opposites. I think it's important to understand a lot of the context in which he speaks upon is solely American politics and not necessarily world politics or specific schools of thought or philosophies. 

I think with Green Day it's different because they don't go into as much detail in the songs as a Rush song would. While American Idiot is written from someone with a more leftist view there's still a lot of objective songwriting across the album politically. So whether you lean left or right it's irrelevant when relating to the songs. People's political views doesn't change the corruption that occurred during that time. 

With Rush it's different because the lyrics are on a different level and point towards specific theories or schools of thought and breaks it down from there. I can still see someone being into it just for the musicianship and I totally understand that but this person sings along word for word. Seeing a collectivist consider an anti-collectivist song in high regard is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. 

To go off on a bit of a tangent collectivism is an extremely ugly thing. I'm no longer friends with the person as they manipulated a whole group for their own personal gain not to mention they were basically stating that the needs of the group outweighed my personal need to excel at my job and take care of myself and my family.

Where I'm from I've seen teachers, paramedics, transit workers and postal workers walk off the job practically saying fuck the people what we need and what we want is more important. Yes they're all an important part of our economy and our country but the needs of a paramedic (who is already more than fairly compensated) does not outweigh the need of a lifelong taxpayer who's literally in a life or death matter. I've seen postal workers that earned leaps and bounds more than US postal workers walk off the job putting small businesses at risk over a 50 cent raise. Selfishness is only ok if it's in numbers. 

Green Day get a mention in this article from the New York Times: 

Taylor Swift and Four More American Music Awards Moments

Green Day and Billie Eilish brought rock ’n’ roll energy, and Swift recapped a decade of pop dominance.

Green Day took it back to 1994

merlin_164990820_8c145780-8b5d-433e-978d

Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong after the band’s triumphant “Basket Case.”Credit...JC Olivera/Getty Images

Green Day was the only rock band to play the American Music Awards this year, and certainly didn’t show up to wave a banner of “authenticity” in the age of big pop. The singer-guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, dressed in a white blazer and shades — and not holding his guitar — led the band for their dancey new single “Father of All …” However, the moment that made the crowd go wild was a performance of the 1994 single “Basket Case,” a song that helped usher in an era where snotty punk rock could be pop itself. Armstrong started with a few notes of Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and wound down by singing a little of Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood.” The broadcast made sure to cut to punk-centric pan-genre pop stars like Billie Eilish and Post Malone ­— both younger than “Basket Case” itself, and both loving it. “Growing up, there was no band more important to me or my brother,” said Eilish, who introduced the band.

Archived