New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

41 minutes ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

These songs literally sound like FBHT in 2019. The problem is if this WAS a FBHT everyone would LOVE it. It’s not, it’s Green Day, and with that come bigger expectations. That’s what’s causing the meltdown around here. 

The FBHT album is one of their best even if it was under the Green Day name. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, SqueekBatHalloweenBlaster said:

Does anybody know what software they record and produce on? Sounds expensive. What's the Industry standard for a bnad like this? I remember Foxboro's record was analog and stripped down.

The industry standard is Avid ProTools, but the more computer generated sounds are used, more artists tend to use Logic Pro X, Cubase or others

3 hours ago, Flashback said:

The industry standard is Avid ProTools, but the more computer generated sounds are used, more artists tend to use Logic Pro X, Cubase or others

"Computer generated sounds" have absolutely nothing to do with DAW you're using. I guess your thesis come from same old "analog is better than digital" crap that lot of people tend go for as a result of ignorancy and listening to mediocre engineers and "producers" who are spreading this trend across the internet. It has also been popularized by people such as Steve Albini or, if you go even further, Dave Grohl.. 

There are no rules, it always depends on the situation. Sometimes it's all analog, sometimes it's all digital, sometimes it's combination of both.

I guarantee you that if a record is made digital, with good skills and experience, most people will never know how it's been recorded, based only on listening. Immediate example that comes into my head is Jet's first record (Get Born), which is recorded completely digital. You go and listen and tell me it doesn't sound raw and "analog" as fuck.

USA standard is mostly ProTools, European is mostly Cubase (Nuendo in some cases). 

I'd still argue Cubase is more sophisticated in some of the aspects, for start in basic track organisation and overall transparency / shortcuts and macros. 

7 hours ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

These songs literally sound like FBHT in 2019. The problem is if this WAS a FBHT everyone would LOVE it. It’s not, it’s Green Day, and with that come bigger expectations. That’s what’s causing the meltdown around here. Mid 2000s GD is gone, they had another swing at it with RevRad, but I fully expect them to walk away from ever putting out another album like AI/21stCB/RevRad. The Trilogy sound is back for good. Take that how you will...

I thought the saaaame. 
Like, I love Roshambo from The Network but I imagine that if that song came out as Green Day it would sound "strange" and "different" to someone!

7 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

The FBHT album is one of their best even if it was under the Green Day name. 

I know it may be sacrilege around these parts, but speaking as an old-school fan, I prefer their garage rock/FBHT sound to the typical pop-punk sound everyone wants/expects. They pull it off so well and I'm really glad to see them try and do what Dos ultimately didn't.

If this would be FBHT, it would suck even more, because Stop Drop and Roll is such a well rounded record. It sets the bar too high.

I understand the trolling stance of the band right now, but if you will put such underwhelming songs, better not bother doing it. And I'm not talking about production, because live performances are always the matter with this band, I'm going out for how hollow and incomplete this song feels. 

But well, in 15 years listening this band, there must be a bigger disappointment than Know Your Enemy :lol:

2 minutes ago, greendepent said:

If this would be FBHT, it would suck even more, because Stop Drop and Roll is such a well rounded record. It sets the bar too high.

I understand the trolling stance of the band right now, but if you will put such underwhelming songs, better not bother doing it. And I'm not talking about production, because live performances are always the matter with this band, I'm going out for how hollow and incomplete this song feels. 

But well, in 15 years listening this band, there must be a bigger disappointment than Know Your Enemy :lol:

It's the official song of the NHL. They're not trolling anyone. They love this type of music. Also, these new tracks are a million times better than the monotony of Know Your Enemy.

If only it was better produced... I listened to FOAM studio version only twice, then switched over to the live versions and I'll probably do the same for FRA. They're okay songs, but definitely sound better live.

I don't think people would like it if they just released it under the FBHT name. Maybe they wouldn't mind it as much under the FBHT name because it doesn't really sound like Green Day, but they definitely wouldn't think it's automatically better. But really, Stop Drop & Roll was a really strong album, much stronger than this album is looking to be and this would still be a disappointment under the foxboro name

This is nowhere near side project quality though. If they put this out under a side band I'd still hate it. Like even their cover of hybrid moments is better and that song has like 5 words.

23 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't think people would like it if they just released it under the FBHT name. Maybe they wouldn't mind it as much under the FBHT name because it doesn't really sound like Green Day, but they definitely wouldn't think it's automatically better. But really, Stop Drop & Roll was a really strong album, much stronger than this album is looking to be and this would still be a disappointment under the foxboro name

I don’t agree at all. I think these two songs are showing an evolution of that kind of sound, they are more mature both musically and in terms of production, which I am really enjoying so far.

Both FBHT and these songs takes inspiration from classic garage rock, but here I really feel GD merging and interpreting that kind of sound as their own, and I think other takes in this direction like the Longshot and Dos are living a positive impact here as well. Overall I think these are better songs. 

5 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I don’t agree at all. I think these two songs are showing an evolution of that kind of sound, they are more mature both musically and in terms of production, which I am really enjoying so far.

Both FBHT and these songs takes inspiration from classic garage rock, but here I really feel GD merging and interpreting that kind of sound as their own, and I think other takes in this direction like the Longshot and Dos are living a positive impact here as well. Overall I think these are better songs. 

I couldn't agree more. IMO, Stop Drop and Roll is their best album, and seeing them truly give into that style of music is a dream come true for me. I love 21st Century Breakdown, "the Trilogy" and Revolution Radio, but this is really something I've been yearning for from them for over a decade at this point.

7 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I agree with this, it sounds like the FBHT if they would have evolved. I love SDaR but it was intentionally a send up of other songs so you could name every Kinks, Monkees  and Bowie song it was based off of. This is much more original. The influences are still there but it’s not as clearly derivative.

7 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Green Day is Billie, Mike, Tre and Co.. they are masterclass rock musicians and these first 2 singles are 100% pure stripped down rock and roll. If you don’t like it, you’re not a true Green Day fan and like them for the wrong reasons.. and should probably just leave.

'If you don't like it, you're not a true Green Day fan'???

Really?

That's what core fanbase is supposed to do, to discuss every little detail. There are as many opinions as there are people

If I don't like something about Green Day, I WILL be complaining and whining, of course, within reason

Personally, I wouldn't call FOAMF and FRA stripped down rock and roll. You can feel a hint of juicy and wild rock and roll, but the rock is covered with a thick layer of sugar.

Green Day is able to mix pop and rock perfectly, but those two songs are just average, something is missing.

3 minutes ago, greenalert997x said:

'If you don't like it, you're not a true Green Day fan'???

This kind of sentiment is part of the "forcing yourself to like these songs" thing I was talking about before. If you don't like something the band makes and people think you're not a "true" fan, then you might feel like you're less of a fan and feel like you're forced to like songs you don't like to remain a part of the fandom. If you're not into something the band releases, don't pretend you are. Fans can be critical. Not liking something doesn't make you less of a fan

I just want to point out Billie posting a picture of himself as the Joker. That just fucks with my brain. Another clue that likely means absolutely nothing, but to someone in the mindset that they could be trolling us, this adds fuel to the fire.

"i'm the joker!...cause this music we're making is a joke cause we're trolling' ya kids!" 

It's really just Halloween season and The Joker movie just came out, but you know we can't take that as the actual reason he's dressed up like a clown, lol...

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

This kind of sentiment is part of the "forcing yourself to like these songs" thing I was talking about before. If you don't like something the band makes and people think you're not a "true" fan, then you might feel like you're less of a fan and feel like you're forced to like songs you don't like to remain a part of the fandom. If you're not into something the band releases, don't pretend you are. Fans can be critical. Not liking something doesn't make you less of a fan

Gatekeeping is a bad attitude in both directions :) Saying that someone disliking the new material can’t be a true fan is nor better or worse than calling someone musical taste fake or forced because you don’t agree with it. 

I get what people are saying about the songs being average. They don’t jump out as masterpieces like some past songs have. But I see so many comments on social media that criticize it because “It doesn’t sound like Green Day” or “Make songs again like Dookie or Insomniac”. That’s just a ridiculous argument. GD would never recycle an old sound, and if they did they would be attacked for doing that. To me, the arguments about the style of the songs and that attack trying something new are just silly. The arguments about the substance of the song are valid. But they really may have just wanted to put out a fun party album to help people deal with our currently fucked-up world. So people saying they are abandoning GD because of these songs, and there are those, even without hearing the whole album, are at the very least extremely rigid.

Just now, rev said:

"i'm the joker!...cause this music we're making is a joke cause we're trolling' ya kids!"

If this album was truly a "troll", then Fire Ready Aim wouldn't be the theme song of the upcoming NHL season. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the NHL is a huge company and it would be career suicide for GD to promote their new songs through it just to say "hey, we were just kidding, we know these songs suck, here's some American Idiot-esque tracks from our new album to hold you over!".

2 minutes ago, Vanilla Shake said:

If this album was truly a "troll", then Fire Ready Aim wouldn't be the theme song of the upcoming NHL season. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the NHL is a huge company and it would be career suicide for GD to promote their new songs through it just to say "hey, we were just kidding, we know these songs suck, here's some American Idiot-esque tracks from our new album to hold you over!".

hey hey hey now, all I said was based on our mindsets that we've been in with all these theories and what not that we'll definitely take this in an unintended way, I'm definitely aware this likely isn't a troll album at all. 

7 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Gatekeeping is a bad attitude in both directions :) Saying that someone disliking the new material can’t be a true fan is nor better or worse than calling someone musical taste fake or forced because you don’t agree with it. 

That's not what I'm doing though

Just now, rev said:

hey hey hey now, all I said was based on our mindsets that we've been in with all these theories and what not that we'll definitely take this in an unintended way, I'm definitely aware this likely isn't a troll album at all. 

I wasn't necessarily quoting just you, it's more aimed at everyone who thinks that they're gonna announce another album sometime between now and February. I apologize for the confusion.

Just now, Vanilla Shake said:

I wasn't necessarily quoting just you, it's more aimed at everyone who thinks that they're gonna announce another album sometime between now and February. I apologize for the confusion.

No problem, but just because this isn't a troll album doesn't mean new music isn't coming sooner than you think. Billie has said in interviews they'll probably release new music next year, so while it might not be before FOAM is released something could be brewing shortly after.

Just now, rev said:

No problem, but just because this isn't a troll album doesn't mean new music isn't coming sooner than you think. Billie has said in interviews they'll probably release new music next year, so while it might not be before FOAM is released something could be brewing shortly after.

Sure, bands being very productive is nothing unheard of. Just take a look at King Gizzard and Pond. However, Green Day aren't known for putting out multiple records in less than a year, so thinking that they will now is jumping the gun in some ways imo. Not to say that they won't, but it's very unlikely.

1 minute ago, Vanilla Shake said:

Sure, bands being very productive is nothing unheard of. Just take a look at King Gizzard and Pond. However, Green Day aren't known for putting out multiple records in less than a year, so thinking that they will now is jumping the gun in some ways imo. Not to say that they won't, but it's very unlikely.

I agree, they usually don't, hell they usually take WAY longer than most bands to release new music. They've been doing this for a long long time now. I'm only going off what Billie said, he mentioned new music likely next year. Billies says a lot of shit that never happens to who knows. Still waiting on the Otis Mix of other Trilogy songs like he promised 😕

Archived