New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DookieLukie said:

I wonder when they will email us the download link for the single.

You didn't get it yet? I got mine shortly after the song went live.

10 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I wonder when they will email us the download link for the single.

Mine went to my "Promotions" tab in gmail. Sender: Green Day. Subject line: Your "Fire, Ready, Aim" digital download is ready. Arrived at 6:30pm CST.

It's hard to say this without sounding mean, but like... I like this song and I'm still surprised by how defensive people are being over negativity. I haven't seen anyone, on any platform, say they want Green Day to stay the same. Quite the opposite, actually, with lots saying they've loved past experiments and listen to all kinds of music (and these songs aren't that different for Green Day anyway). I also haven't seen any evidence that anyone has preconceived ideas of Green Day they've failed to live up to, or that anyone feels "owed" something. None of the theories people are coming up with about negativity are based on anything. People just don't like the music. There's no Deeper Meaning. It's not a personal attack on people who do like it. Disappointed fans are probably more upset about disliking new music than anyone else is.

When 21st Century Breakdown came out, it was "cool" to hate it. I got called several variations of "stupid fangirl" for liking it. That was unnecessary negativity, but it didn't ruin the album for me or put me off the fandom. I just laughed and turned up the volume. It's still cool to hate the trilogy. What's the difference? No one who dislikes the songs is being disrespectful. Personally, I much prefer a discussion where everyone openly states their opinions than one where those who disagree feel they have to be quiet, or are made to feel bad.

This applies to the entire fandom, not just GDC and it's not directed at any specific person. It's been annoying me for a while so just sayin. There's nothing wrong with disliking something and it's not a wild concept that it comes from a place of love.

26 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

It's hard to say this without sounding mean, but like... I like this song and I'm still surprised by how defensive people are being over negativity. I haven't seen anyone, on any platform, say they want Green Day to stay the same. Quite the opposite, actually, with lots saying they've loved past experiments and listen to all kinds of music (and these songs aren't that different for Green Day anyway). I also haven't seen any evidence that anyone has preconceived ideas of Green Day they've failed to live up to. None of the theories people are coming up with about negativity are based on anything. People just don't like the music. There's no Deeper Meaning. It's not a personal attack on people who do like it. Disappointed fans are probably more upset about disliking new music than anyone else is.

When 21st Century Breakdown came out, it was "cool" to hate it. I got called several variations of "stupid fangirl" for liking it. That was unnecessary negativity, but it didn't ruin the album for me or put me off the fandom. I just laughed and turned up the volume. It's still cool to hate the trilogy. What's the difference? No one who dislikes the songs is being disrespectful. Personally, I much prefer a discussion where everyone openly states their opinions than one where those who disagree feel they have to be quiet, or are made to feel bad.

This applies to the entire fandom, not just GDC and it's not directed at any specific person. It's been annoying me for a while so just sayin. There's nothing wrong with disliking something and it's not a wild concept that it comes from a place of love.

Saying the band is trolling because they put out a song you (not actually you lol) don't like is dumb and annoying though and it's going on all over the place. If it's just opinions on the song then of course both positive and negative should be accepted but I think it's fair to criticise such a ridiculously dramatic response that is surely going to lead to a lot more disappointment and negativity.

13 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Saying the band is trolling because they put out a song you (not actually you lol) don't like is dumb and annoying though and it's going on all over the place. If it's just opinions on the song then of course both positive and negative should be accepted but I think it's fair to criticise such a ridiculously dramatic response that is surely going to lead to a lot more disappointment and negativity.

Well yeah, but for the most part that isn't what's being criticised. There are some people coming in to say the band are trolling and that's silly, but since there are so many theories going around, I sort of get it if they haven't read otherwise. If they have and they're still pushing it they should stop. My issue was people reacting defensively to disappointment, though. There's no need for it and I don't think it'd be considered normal if it was a reaction to people hating the trilogy.

10 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Well yeah, but for the most part that isn't what's being criticised. There are some people coming in to say the band are trolling and that's silly, but since there are so many theories going around, I sort of get it if they haven't read otherwise. If they have and they're still pushing it they should stop. My issue was people reacting defensively to disappointment, though. There's no need for it and I don't think it'd be considered normal if it was a reaction to people hating the trilogy.

Idk I just haven't seen that much complaining going on. With a new release there's always some people complaining about others disliking it, some people accusing people who like it of not really liking it, and people telling each to cut it out, but I haven't seen an out of the ordinary amount of any of it. I agree with you that everyone should be free to post their opinions of the song and discuss it. 

A positive review here from Entertainment Weekly

https://ew.com/music-reviews/2019/10/11/ew-friday-five-harry-styles-green-day/

"EW's Friday Five: Harry Styles and Green Day make two very different pop returns

Every Friday, EW runs down the five best songs of the week. In today’s edition, Harry Styles kicks off his sophomore solo effort with a sensational message, Green Day come back swinging, and a K-pop queen serves up some jaw-dropping drama.

Thirty-plus years into their career, the Bay Area trio are still switching things up, as evidenced by this this giddy ditty from their upcoming album Father of All…, out Feb. 7. With Billie Joe Armstrong deploying a heretofore underutilized upper register and the band leaning hard into pop sensibilities, this clap-happy track is a full-tilt power-pop delight and still feels complete even though it clocks in at under two minutes. Hockey fans should prepare to hear this tune a lot, since it was picked as the opening theme song for the NHL and NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Hockey broadcasts. —Sarah Rodman"

I agree, discussion is good! I love gd they're my absolute favorite band forever and I in no way shape or form think all is lost just because i'm not feeling this new era (yet) lmao

1 minute ago, Alan86 said:

I really enjoying the new songs and nobody can stop me 🤪

Is anybody trying to stop you??

6 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Yes

Who? I haven't seen anyone say people can't or shouldn't like the new song

17 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Who? I haven't seen anyone say people can't or shouldn't like the new song

Everyone’s saying it 

Nobody can enjoy the new songs

6 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Everyone’s saying it 

What are you on about? People saying they don't like the song means that you shouldn't?

Also, is that an actual quote somebody's said or what?

Personally, I'm not the hugest fan of the new single. I definitely like it better than FOAMF, but it's still a little poppy to me. The chorus is its let down, but the guitar riffs in it and the verses are awesome. The length of it is also interesting - it's a lot shorter than what you usually envision from a Green Day song. Anyone feel? 

13 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

People saying they don't like the song means that you shouldn't.

More of it.

I like reading everyones opinions on the song, both good and bad. If everyone thought the same about it, it wouldn't even be a discussion and imagine how boring that would be. I personally like the song but I still respect other opinions on it, and if someone doesn't like it, it doesn't make me like the song any less. 

I think the length is unusual for a single, at least since Insomniac, but not for a Green Day song. Green Day have tons of short songs, not only from their early albums, but even their later ones (especially the trilogy)

Examples from the trilogy
See You Tonight 1:06
Stop When The Red Lights Flash 2:26
Baby Eyes 2:22
Lady Cobra 2:05
8th Avenue Serenade 2:36
Amanda 2:28
State of Shock 2:28

Other examples
She's a Rebel - 2:00
Song of the Century - 0:57
Youngblood - 2:32
Bouncing Off The Wall - 2:40

2 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

More of it.

What on earth are you talking about??

4 minutes ago, Denice said:

I like reading everyones opinions on the song, both good and bad. If everyone thought the same about it, it wouldn't even be a discussion and imagine how boring that would be. I personally like the song but I still respect other opinions on it, and if someone doesn't like it, it doesn't make me like the song any less. 

Love that you are so respectful about other opinions. Very mature of you and it's awesome to have discussions like this with people like you. 

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think the length is unusual for a single, at least since Insomniac, but not for a Green Day song. Green Day have tons of short songs, not only from their early albums, but even their later ones (especially the trilogy)

Examples from the trilogy
See You Tonight 1:06
Stop When The Red Lights Flash 2:26
Baby Eyes 2:22
Lady Cobra 2:05
8th Avenue Serenade 2:36
Amanda 2:28
State of Shock 2:28

Other examples
She's a Rebel - 2:00
Song of the Century - 0:57
Youngblood - 2:32