New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

If anyone actually believes the album cover isn't trolling (in the same way as Kerplunk or Dookie), I don't know what to tell them :lol: 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

From the new interview with Howard Stern it looks like they're considering the option to stay with Warner and that it all depends on how the contractual terms negotiation will go. So I don't really think this is an intentional "fuck you" to Warner. I think this is the music they want to make right now, with no filter, and we have to accept it, whether we like it or not. There might be more music coming out next year, but I don't think they're putting the "worse" music out now because it's, maybe, the last record with Warner.

If anything it seems like they are trying to make a ton of money off this release to make Warner want to hang on to them even more. If this record is a flop Warner would have no problem saying “Good Riddance” so the heavy promo on behalf of Crush may be all part of the negotiations with Warner.  It’s a “See what you could be missing?” move.

Just now, solongfromthestars said:

If anyone actually believes the album cover isn't trolling (in the same way as Kerplunk or Dookie), I don't know what to tell them :lol: 

I would call it provocation, not trolling. 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

If anything it seems like they are trying to make a ton of money off this release to make Warner want to hang on to them even more. If this record is a flop Warner would have no problem saying “Good Riddance” so the heavy promo on behalf of Crush may be all part of the negotiations with Warner.  It’s a “See what you could be missing?” move.

Definitely more likely than the "trolling Warner" theory to me.

1 minute ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Yes, that’s the word for it, which has always suited Green Day.

35 minutes ago, jengd said:

What @pacejunkie punk said, I want to love her post 100 times.  I’m saying it again too, crank it up and dance - oh, and smile while you’re at it! 😉😉🦄🦄🦄

If I wasn't at work, I'd be dancing and jumping around like a complete fool. :yay:

6 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Whatever you want to call it, they're not being serious (with the cover, not the music before people come at me). They've always trolled the world and their fans though, from the poo titles to The Network. It's not a new concept.

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Or the heavy promo could mean that their next album would be super political. They’re just trying to gain attention for that?  

6 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Whatever you want to call it, they're not being serious. They've always trolled the world and their fans though, from the poo titles to The Network.

Makes sense. We’re Idiots 😛

Anybody else finds the irony in how Billie is like "I don't like hearing about how much I make" when this entire album is like "whooo hooo gives us moneyyy" with everything being super expensive and there's a lot of money grabbing going on and he's posting photos with a pile of coke on the table, all like look I'm a rOcKsTaR

1 minute ago, Clayish said:

Also, why is this album coming out in February? Everything about this is a mess.

For one thing it’s a week after the NHL All Star Game so it could be coordinated with that. It’s a common thing today for albums to come out months after several singles. So why not February?

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

For one thing it’s a week after the NHL All Star Game so it could be coordinated with that. It’s a common thing today for albums to come out months after several singles. So why not February?

If anything, it's more common these days to announce the album and drop it a month later.

I doubt they're going to release another song off the album since it's only 26 minutes / 10 tracks, so it's going to be these two songs for the next 4 months until the album finally comes out? Yeesh.

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

This new era is lacking heart. Revrad had a lot of it, still breathing came out as a single at the same time I got sober and it really resonated with me, Billie seemed to be thinking clearly when he wrote revrad, but these new songs don't seem to have any meaning to them and Billie sounds like some kid rambling after he just drank his first beer.

I love RevRad and SB more than anything but I'm still loving this new one. I like your definition of Billie now :P.

So, I haven't read all the thread but I wanna say I loved it from the first listen!! Even from the snippet we had, with that instrumental part in the end. I don't know if it's a thing for you to sing out loud and dance while you're walking in the street listening to GD on your headphones, but people already thought I was crazy singing "I got paranoia, baby!!" and now "baby got the hyperbole!!" :P it's even more fun as in French the word "hyperbole" is the same but you don't pronounce that "e" in the end. The way Billie sings it high pitched is exhilarating :wub: don't listen to that at home, go out and dance to it!

1 minute ago, Clayish said:

If anything, it's more common these days to announce the album and drop it a month later.

I doubt they're going to release another song off the album since it's only 26 minutes / 10 tracks, so it's going to be these two songs for the next 4 months until the album finally comes out? Yeesh.

There have already been many examples listed on these boards of singles and albums being five months apart so I won’t try and dig them up again. There’s no reason to assume we are not getting more singles at this point based on those other releases that have done this we will most likely get one or two more before the album. 

I don't think it's that common to announce an album and then release it a month later. I know it's something that more artists are doing, but it's not weird to have such a gap between album announcement and release date.

It's still pretty standard to announce it and release it months later, like Slipknot did with We Are Not Your Kind. So, personally the February date isn't weird to me aside from me being impatient and wanting the album in my hands sooner.

10 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

he's posting photos with a pile of coke on the table, all like look I'm a rOcKsTaR

WHAT LOL Really? I'm too lazy to look for it :lol:

6 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Anybody else finds the irony in how Billie is like "I don't like hearing about how much I make" when this entire album is like "whooo hooo gives us moneyyy" with everything being super expensive and there's a lot of money grabbing going on and he's posting photos with a pile of coke on the table, all like look I'm a rOcKsTaR

In Foam I don't know if the "count your money" means "count your money before you lose it" or "count the money you've just gained". It's a denunciation of how everything turns around money, for sure... but, for one, he only earned his money from the fans willing to buy to hear him. Let the man feel like the badass rockstar he is :P (the fact we can all interpret that he's purposefully leaving what seems like coke in the table, suggesting he may not take some but just wants to mess with us, makes him a relatable badass rocstar. Social media millenium trolling level.)

I think what bothers me most about both singles is that I don't recognize Billie's voice. The instruments and beats are fine, but a Billie's voice is so great normally and now its this weird falsetto that makes the songs sound foreign

I can't use mobile data at work so for the last couple of days I've had to use my dad's iPod that he never really used it's terribly old. I put all GD up to American idiot on there (I wish I had 21st century on there) I've been listening to it all non stop and it made me love them all over again after a long break. This new shit is literally the worst material I've heard from the band. I have a very open mind when it comes to all music but this will not cut it. It bums me out cause all that older material is Sooo fucking simple and so gooood at the same time. I appreciate the band trying for a more modern approach but this is not the way. I can only say Mike keeps improving with his bass playing some how when he's already the best. Billie isn't bringing anything new lyric wise so far. The higher vocals are not for me at least not done the way he's doing it in these two tracks. Tre is a great drummer but some of the stuff he's doing sounds the same and I know he's capable of more interesting shit. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album making me more depressed. Damn you Billy.

2 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

In Foam I don't know if the "count your money" means "count your money before you lose it" or "count the money you've just gained". It's a denunciation of how everything turns around money, for sure... but, for one, he only earned his money from the fans willing to buy to hear him. Let the man feel like the badass rockstar he is :P (the fact we can all interpret that he's purposefully leaving what seems like coke in the table, suggesting he may not take some but just wants to mess with us, makes him a relatable badass rocstar. Social media millenium trolling level.)

Yeah I actually find this rockstar thing funny. It's like rappers with thick gold chains. :P The video from Madonna Inn with the models and the rolls royce would fit this vibe

16 minutes ago, Clayish said:

The ones saying its not common isn't up to date with how that is the trend for a while now. It was so weird for me to hear the news that we will get the full album in 2020 , even worst for the Weezer fans that Van Weezer comes out in May of 2020 :( .Outdated way of releasing albums ,but I disagree, I expect to have half the album before February! :lol: 

Just listened again in the car and I’m hearing the piano and organ more. It made me realize what this reminds me of. It sounds like Elvis Costello and The Attractions/Imposters to me. There are too many songs to name and his style is all over the place but he has the same sneery rock dance vibe with the organ so pick anything from the later period. Monkey to Man is a good example of this style. That’s what I’m hearing.

Archived