New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

TLDR I really dig this song three listens in.

I've skipped the last four pages, but if it was like the previous five, I think I know the general opinion of this track. I just don't understand what some people are expecting from the second single of the FOAM era and what people expect in general. We know the songs are going to be short, bouncy, rock and roll tunes with a party vibe, so this song isn't at all out of the blue. Honestly at this stage of their career, after all they've been through, energetic and catchy music is all I hope for from new Green Day music. I don't go in to every new era and every new song expecting great lyric, a massive sound and a detailed, comprehensive song structure. Billie has written over 200 songs... a lot of things they could possibly do they have already done and compared to what other bands of a similar genre and career length put out these days, Green Day are still killing it. It seems like some people are expecting an AI, Dookie or Nimrod type song whenever the band put something out. 

Sure the mixing is pretty bad, but hey its Green Day so thats always the case. I think the length of the song works well considering what we get. Its a fun little tune. I, like many others on here, struggled to understand what Billie was singing on the first couple listens, but its getting easier each time. 

It seems I'm in a minority of people that are really hyped for the album which is a shame. I'm completely happy with a fun 28 minute rock record, partly because I've liked both singles and because I know it won't be long before even more music is released. Despite the change in sound from RevRad and this not being traditional Green Day (whatever that means) I disagree with anyone who says the new songs, and specifically this one, doesn't sound like them. 

When I compare the first two singles of this era to the first two from the Trilogy and RevRad, altogether I've liked these songs more on first impressions. Bang Bang has become one of my favorite Green Day songs, but it took three listens for me to be loving it. In my opinion these songs are easier to jam with on first listen, probably because they're catchier, more mainstream rock songs.

Bring on FOAM.... I can't wait.... I want my unicorn socks...

I'm going to make a cup of tea, bye

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've now goven the song a few listens, and I don't hate it. It's upbeat and catchy and it will probably be a fun song live. It's not a masterpiece, but I didn't expect it to be that either so. I think I still prefer FOAM over this though.

Love this much more than FOAM. It's definitely growing on me.

That being said, spotify automatically played FOAM immidiately after FRA, and I was then able to enjoy both songs a lot more. Listening to them together and in context absolutely gives a better impression of the vibe the band are going for, and what kind of feel we can expect from the album. 

From that perspective, I really dig it and am excited to be suprised 

Listening to this in sequence after FOAMF definitely has a great flow :) 

I may be reading too much into this, but I'm noticing slight similarities between this and Blink. First single giving mixed opinions, the second single sounding a little similar to prior music (good or bad) and being their shortest non-instrumental single to date. God help us.

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Does anyone know the lyrics? 

They’re on the YT video description :) 

There are hooks in it, that remind me of 'Fell in love with a girl' by The White Stripes. I don't really like garage rock, so i'm not particularly fussed over this. It'll probably rock live though.... so there is that, I guess??

Looking forward to album 14 now.🤣

If this had leaked I’d probably have said it was a fake as I don’t think I ever heard Billie sound less like himself on first couple of listens.  Then I thought it sounds like The Hives - not a bad thing for me and Billie has said he loves them.

This is not Nimrod, Warning, AI or anything else because they have already done those and yes, compared to those (and others) this feels disposable and I think is everything Billie has said about the internet and short attention spans etc etc.

BUT listen to FOAM and the RFA and crank them up and dance people!

Baby got the hyperbole 😂😂😂 love it!

I don't know, it doesn't suck, but nothing to rave about. It's okay and I'm fine with not everything being a masterpiece and I'm glad they're doing something different, but it's a little unusual for me to have this mild reaction to gd music. There's not much to say about this except that it's alright.

Maybe it's just my phone being crap, but it seems the production sucks. It sounds kinda messy and clustered with the fake sounding clap track and Billie's vocals stand out in a too chipmunked way. The falsetto really fit FOAM, but this would sound better with rawer vocals imo.

My only problem with this song is the vocals. Not the production, not the lyrics, just the vocals. It's out of Billie's range range and he's very obviously straining for some of those notes. I'm worried he's gonna blow out his vocal chords if he keeps this up.

1 hour ago, stuckwithshe19 said:

That being said, spotify automatically played FOAM immidiately after FRA, and I was then able to enjoy both songs a lot more. Listening to them together and in context absolutely gives a better impression of the vibe the band are going for, and what kind of feel we can expect from the album. 

Youtube just played Redundant for me and helped me remember they have actually been pretty good and meaningful with their music.

Just now, JOE THE X-KID said:

I'm still waiting for the  "ha gotcha!" From Green Day. 

Ain’t coming my friend 

I think the song is better with the NHL video (I mean the context and not the lyrics). Probably because I'm a big hockey fan... but anyway ! 

39 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't know, it doesn't suck, but nothing to rave about. It's okay and I'm fine with not everything being a masterpiece and I'm glad they're doing something different, but it's a little unusual for me to have this mild reaction to gd music. There's not much to say about this except that it's alright.

Maybe it's just my phone being crap, but it seems the production sucks. It sounds kinda messy and clustered with the fake sounding clap track and Billie's vocals stand out in a too chipmunked way. The falsetto really fit FOAM, but this would sound better with rawer vocals imo.

No falsetto here, onlyy woooo falsetto

3 hours ago, The Disappearing Boy said:

Please tell me he didn’t pronounce it “hyper-bowl”?!

When I saw it written in the lyrics I specifically listened to it again to check he didn't say it like that :lol:. No it isn't that bad but he says "hyper-bowLAY" whereas I would say "hyPER-bowlee"

Really hope Billie doesn’t burn his voice out trying to replicate all this high pitched stuff live, he struggled with FOAMF in a short space of time in between performances. Would rather he just used his raw voice, I think that’s why people seem to prefer the live versions more. 

Also, this album is definitely a massive “fuck you” to everyone, it’s kinda badass tbh 😂😂 

7 minutes ago, Hermione said:

When I saw it written in the lyrics I specifically listened to it to check he didn't say it like that :lol:. No it isn't that bad but he says "hyper-bowLAY" whereas I would say "hyPER-bowlee"

Yep, Brits and Yanks using the same language 😂😂😂 my fear was he would sing “hyperbowl” but I really knew he didn’t, just couldn’t make out what he was singing.  I’m going with it being the Latin American pronounciation 😂😂

Archived