Todd

52 minutes ago, disappearingdan said:

Wonder what the "19" means?

Playing a show on the 19th?

All speculation of course :P

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of weird the production has been so inconsistent so far. The past few Weezer albums may not be perfect, but their production is top notch. Clearly Butch can produce an album to sound good. Weezer's music is so balanced and clear. GD's seems like it's been put through a blender.

I will go to my grave saying that this is their “choke on it Warner” album right before they slam the door behind them. This is just objectively shit, and not even in the trilogy way. In a way “they’ve got to be shitting us” kinda way. Lulu/ St Anger kinda bad, and I refuse to believe they’ve become THAT level of shit. Whether or not Magnum Opus is a real thing or not, Billie’s gleeful enthusiasm about being done with Warner from a month ago really shows here. Either that, or he’s off his rocker again, which while I hope is not the case, is seeming more likely by the day to me. Or both. But damn, they’re really screwing the pooch here. I hope for their sake it’s by design.

I've listened to it a few times at this point and I just... can't do it. Instrumentally I guess it's ok but Billie's singing is arguably more off putting here. The preview of the song had me excited and hopeful that it would be better than FOAM but I ended up preferring the latter anyway. FOAM took a few listens for me to get into it and that's fine, but A) It will take longer for me to get into FRA without a doubt, and B) If the whole album is gonna be "growers" then I really can't get behind it. I'm generally pretty laid back with music preferences and having it take so long to get into Green Day songs like this is out of the ordinary for me and doesn't give me a ton of hope with the album. Not even the Trilogy had this problem. Hopefully the other 8 songs turn out ok but atm I have very little excitement or faith of what's to come in February.

Spoiler

An additional thought: I definitely got fall out boy vibes from this like other people are saying, and weirdly enough, I actually think I would like the song better if it was Patrick Stump singing. I don't know if anyone else feels like that, though.

I LOVE FOAM. It is different but in a great interesting way. This song... not so much, it is starting to grow on me slightly. The production, especially on the vocals, is dreadful and Billie doesn't even sound like himself. For the average band or artist this isn't a bad song, however, it is a pretty bad Green Day song. Also the lyrics and description are absolutely insane and come off as incoherent ramblings. 

From the clip I thought this would be a more typical Green Day sound, I'm glad it isn't and that they're going all in with this new style! Reminds me of The Hives. So catchy and fabulous :banana: 

Edit: Omg just reading the description (still loving how reminiscent of the Rev's myspace messages these are) and lyrics. I think they're great, simple and to the point and remind me of some earlier stuff talking about knocking teeth out and calling someone a liar etc, wonderfully spiteful.

The way he pronounces "hyperbole" though 😩. Or is that just the way it's pronounced in the US? lol

What I heard: 

FIRE AH AH AH AH AHHHHH 

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

This was seriously their worst mixed ever! It ruined the song ALSO WHY IS THEIR CLAPPING DROWNING OUT EVERYTHING THE WHOLE TIME!?

27 minutes ago, Hermione said:

The way he pronounces "hyperbole" though 😩. Or is that just the way it's pronounced in the US? lol

I originally thought he was saying, baby got her hand on the lake, so no. :lol:

Butch Walker knew making vocals sounds like this will improve listener's day by making the lyrics unintelligible :P

Seriously though, it's okay. I still rate it 3.6, but later I'll get better speakers out of the locked room and give it another try.

6 hours ago, petros said:

They have been far from perfect for a while now. Their last strong release was 10 years ago. They didn't even try with the trilogy. Revrad was okay but easy. They are back and even worse than the trilogy now.

Lazy lyrics, lazy music, 27 minutes album. 

There was effort put into the Trilogy. Not all the songs were Grade A, but there’s solid songs from those three albums. Maybe even a couple of their best imo.

7 minutes ago, Lapin said:

So... can we go back to MOOTIK theory? 😅

The MOOTIK thread is always glad to welcome new guests and returnees 😌

I'm withholding judgement at this time. I started out really disliking FOAM, but now I love it after hearing it live and listening to it more, so maybe the same will be true for this song.

So this is really gonna be the Songs for Car Commercials album huh?

This is the most "eh" I've ever felt about a Green Day era. I just listen and think "well okay then" and maybe listen again later. 

Don't see myself preordering this one 

Melody is very catchy. I don't understand one single word of what he's singing and Billie doesn't sound like Billie. I don't hate it, but I don't feel any need to listen to this more than once.

13 minutes ago, 86'd said:

Baby got the hyperbole...

"Baby got the onomatopoeia" 

"baby got the metaphor" 

baby got the synonym

"baby got the dramatic irony"

I really love this song! 

Someone said a Green Day version of the Longshot would have been a better record than this. I certainly do not agree with that. Longshot – which is my favourite side-project & is still being listened to by me – is boring in comparsion to FOAMF. It was good, but it just had these RevRad vibes, it was playing safe. New genre, but still the ‚same‘ in a certain way. FOAMF & FRA are so exciting, they feel much more alive. You can even hear it in the instruments imo, everyone is peaking in their game, really impressive stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Melody is very catchy. I don't understand one single word of what he's singing and Billie doesn't sound like Billie. I don't hate it, but I don't feel any need to listen to this more than once.

how many trolls does it take to sound like billie?

2 minutes ago, 86'd said:

how many trolls does it take to sound like billie?

Only Panicland I guess🤪

1 minute ago, Thatsername said:

Only Panicland I guess🤪

it could be a fucking a unicorn for all we know 

I think I have nothing to do with this song. Short but at least bad. Compared to any Longshot or Foxboro song it's 0.0

Archived