Secret Show Tuesday (9/10) At the Whisky A Go-Go

pacejunkie punk

34 minutes ago, Paola17 said:

It looks like Bille is using playback on FOAM (watch around second 30. Singing over the playback, I mean). Meh, the only hope I had was the song was going to sound good live.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

What about Say It Ain't So? That's definitely their best track on the Blue album

Say it Ain't So, Buddy Holly and My Name Is Jonas really stand out on the Blue album for me. Love the heavy guitars and Rivers voice.

Son of a bitch, that Brain Stew video sounds SO good.

2 hours ago, Platypus2000 said:

I’m not really keen on sitting through 2 hours of shit to see an hour and a half of Green day seems like a crap deal tbh, dunno whether I’m gonna go if it’s true. 

Having to pay to see bands I otherwise wouldn't is what makes it a crap deal. 90 minutes of Green Day is the okay part if that's what they're doing. 

1 hour ago, DadBod said:

AI; holiday; brew stew; bang bang; FOA; basket case; when I come around; minority; JOS 

**not necessarily in that order. Opened with ai & holiday, ended with minority & JoS

That's very short and very sweet 

13 minutes ago, ¡Nunes! said:

It looks like Bille is using playback on FOAM (watch around second 30. Singing over the playback, I mean). Meh, the only hope I had was the song was going to sound good live.

Thats jason white

9 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That's very short and very sweet 

I forgot to put She in there. and They did play FOA twice because "That was too short. I wanna play it again." - Billie Joe, WAGG, Sept, 2019

I’ll take a backing vocal track over Jeff any day. Then can we keep Kevin? 

If they trim the fat from their recent arena shows, they could do a tight 90-100 minutes that would be spectacular. Seriously after seeing Billie perform this 12 song mini set I don’t know how he didn’t collapse after that. I’d rather he do 90 minutes high energy than two hours tired and hoarse at the end. 

2 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I forgot to put She in there. and They did play FOA twice because "That was too short. I wanna play it again." - Billie Joe, WAGG, Sept, 2019

That was soooooo Rev!

57 minutes ago, Paola17 said:

FOAM

Brain Stew

About a backing track - around 1:45 in that FOAM video it sounds like Billie keeps singing, but he's moved the mic away from his mouth. Could be a sync issue, but the rest of the video seems in sync. I'm also curious about what he kneels down for and then it looks like he stomps on something - I assume a foot pedal. Anybody front row could elaborate on that? 

6 hours ago, xLumian said:

Green Day smoked Fall Out Boy and Weezer. Literally made them look like high school bands IMO. The energy in the room instantly changed - they were the most believable act of rockstars there. 

It almost felt like: "Okay the kids are done playing, time for the professional entertainers"

I felt that way even when Green Day performed at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Among other legends in music! They still blew everyone else out of the water and it was incredible to watch. Their energy is unmatched.

1 minute ago, AngelBlue_ said:

1.40 Who Is singing?

Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day.

43 minutes ago, ¡Nunes! said:

He’s not. There are various instances when he’s taking a pause to catch breath, or the unwarranted screams. He could be using some echo but, “Damn! That sounded good live”. 

34 minutes ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

Thats jason white

before that, I can hear a playback and Billie is following it (jason was not siging in the beginning). But someone who attended the show can check on that.

51 minutes ago, ¡Nunes! said:

it's jason Freese helping on the falsettos, you can see on this video clearly (starts at 1:25). I was thinking it was some kind of backtrack too

I love how people on here basically want to tar and feather Jeff and ban him from society. Because all of you stone-throwers definitely have perfect, healthy relationships and have never done something stupid in a breakup.

FOAM will be a song that we'll hear Jeff's voice prominently 'cause singing high notes is his ~thing. But, ugh, I hate his voice!

49 minutes ago, Alf said:

it's jason Freese helping on the falsettos, you can see on this video clearly (starts at 1:25). I was thinking it was some kind of backtrack too

damn that sounded really really good, even tho i dont like the studio version, not gonna lie its pretty dope live.

11 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

What's that red stuff all over his face during Bang Bang and FOAM?

It looked like he was applying lipstick as BB got started

13 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

What's that red stuff all over his face during Bang Bang and FOAM?

It was lipstick. He started with his lips and then put it all over his face.

Show was awesome. I was near the back of the pack. Loved it! Weezer and fob are way out of their league here. No way do they bring energy to the crowd. Billie Joe sounded great as isual. The new song does sound better live.  Not a fan of backing track ugh. God I just want to go back to last night. So brutal and great at the same time. Worth the drive down there and the wait. If the cut out jos they could have had a couple more songs that would have been nice. I still loved hearing it all. Glad to have been there,  now driving home. Hoping for a show at home in Oakland. 

2 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

I can’t see how a Green Day fan couldn’t find something to love in Weezer’s first three albums, have you given them a listen?

Yup and aside from a handful of songs, those albums do nothing for me. They just don't click with me. I find them kind of boring.

2 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Yup and aside from a handful of songs, those albums do nothing for me. They just don't click with me. I find them kind of boring.

Same. They’re catchy enough but so simple that they get worse not better with repeat listens. I get bored of them quickly, they lack energy.

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Same. They’re catchy enough but so simple that they get worse not better with repeat listens. I get bored of them quickly, they lack energy.

Exactly! At least there are quite a few FOB songs I will happily listen to on repeat. But I still don't want to see them live.

What a fucking night. What a fucking show. Despite what everyone else seems to be saying, I thought Weezer and Fall Out Boy absolutely crushed it. I went in with low expectations for both, and I was blown away by how much fun both of them were.

Green Day, of course, crushed it as usual. While I would have like a few more Nimrod/Insomniac/Kerplunk cuts in the set, I also understand it definitely wasn’t the gig to pull those out at. 

I have to say though, out of four Green Day shows I’ve been to in the past few years (Palladium, Rose Bowl, Oakland Stadium, Longshot at Teragram) this was, by far, the worst audience I’ve experienced. Multiple people outright shoving people to get in front of them, blocking people’s views for the entire show so they could stream their Facebook Live videos. Had one girl literally digging her elbow into my shoulder blade intentionally, because she was mad I was closer to the stage than she was. I literally spent the second half of Green Day’s set trying to protect a handicapped guy who had to sit for most of the show, most people were literally jumping right on top of him with absolutely no regard! I don’t know if the FOB/Weezer fans were the culprit or if I just have been lucky to not have to deal with these shitty “fans” in the past, but holy shit, some people need to learn basic human decency and respect.

Archived