Hella Mega Tour with Weezer, Fall Out Boy

Sanity Loan

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

"Green Day should stop playing their most successful album's singles because I've bored myself with watching tour videos on YouTube all day."

Hot take. 

How to say you didn't read my posts without saying you didn't read my posts. Never change, GDC.

3 hours ago, The Grohl said:

I would loooooove it if they brought back some Trilogy and 21CB songs and threw in some FOAM. Take the Money and Crawl and MMOTR would be awesome live!

Take the Money and Crawl is one that I would really love to see live! I would be pretty happy with some trilogy ones too. 

• Like 3

i hate when bands literally play one set for a whole tour

i was so happy when billie played the 20-30sec snippets of 80 at the paris show, it was one of my highlights

seeing JOS or whatever for the fifth time live is always a pleasure, but switch some songs every night, or throw in 1 or 2 rarely played songs, it will always be better than the same greatest hits set all over again (not that i dont enjoy it, but it could be even better, i dont get why its so hard for bands to change a few songs or play some oldies)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I want them to change it up more so I can justify going to more shows goddamnit

THIS!

2 hours ago, Clockwise said:

I think they'll throw the hardcore fans a bone soon.

Hope so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clockwise said:

I think they'll throw the hardcore fans a bone soon.

I sure hope you're right. 🤞

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Miko said:

How to say you didn't read my posts without saying you didn't read my posts. Never change, GDC.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:45 AM, Miko said:

- I don't ever wanna see or hear any of American Idiot hits again after this tour. I guess Wake Me Up When September Ends is still fine, but man it's really time to ditch AI/Holiday/Boulevard/Jesus for good from the next tour. There are other good tracks from that album that could be swapped in place.

3 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

''Unnecessary out of context quote''

And your sentence was..

"Green Day should stop playing their most successful album's singles because I've bored myself with watching tour videos on YouTube all day."

You summed my long post to one sentence that obviously doesn't make any sense without context I provided on post(s). First of all, Dookie is their most successful album, which is also why I don't give a shit about how much do they play WICA/Basket Case/Welcome to Paradise/etc, except She. It's funny to say how I've bored myself with ''watching tour videos on YouTube all day'', when I've never said I've watched AI hits every single day from every single show. I said I paid close attention to She, since I was curious on how they performed that song when they're pushing 50. At the same time, I got to watch few Hella Mega shows from start to finish at the same time. Yes., hits do in fact bore me, since I would've preferred any song from last 10 years or any different AI track over AI/Holiday/Boulevard/JoS, which shouldn't be controversial at all.

All of these that I just said were said on my posts (except additional context), which obviously you didn't read. All in all, your post was lame effort to take a jab on someone who clearly has different opinion than you have. Why even bother, is my question to you?

It doesn’t surprise me they continue to play the hits. It’s expected of all bands/artists, especially from the casual fans who don’t go to every tour.

But, like Miko noted, it’s the songs they continue to play that weren’t hits that’s unusual (St Jimmy, King for a Day, Waiting and to a lesser extent Brain Stew and Hitchin a Ride). These could be switched each night or at least each tour for other songs in their catalogue which would please the bigger fans and probably make no difference to the casual fans.

• Like 2

I really thought they were gonna switch St Jimmy out for Bang Bang this tour, that would have been fine

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I really thought they were gonna switch St Jimmy out for Bang Bang this tour, that would have been fine

Considering recent events in the U.S., I'm glad they didn't. There's an anime convention I went to days after the shooting happened, and the song was playing in the Dealer's Room. It was incredibly jarring and as much as I do love that song it's going to be hard for me to listen to it in the future. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, michael1989 said:

But, like Miko noted, it’s the songs they continue to play that weren’t hits that’s unusual (St Jimmy, King for a Day, Waiting and to a lesser extent Brain Stew and Hitchin a Ride). These could be switched each night or at least each tour for other songs in their catalogue which would please the bigger fans and probably make no difference to the casual fans.

A long time ago on the Green Day Discography forum Waiting was a popular choice for one of the best Green Day songs. It's only really around RevRad they started to play it more regularly and a lot of people still haven't heard it live so I think it's a great addition to the set. 

I can't see them dropping St Jimmy any time soon either. 

They did drop KFAD for a while but decided to bring it back for whatever reason.

She is also one of my top GD songs so I hope it does get played again. I never get sick of that song

• Like 3

On 7/10/2022 at 8:20 PM, Miko said:

I've seen Green Day live in 2013 (just look at this damn setlist https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/green-day/2013/hietaniemi-helsinki-finland-bd91dca.html ) They did sound as good as they did during videos during that time. No, not better. Just as good as videos told me during 99 Revolutions Tour. I'd say this show in Finland was 95 % copypaste from Rock am Ring, excluding HOW IS THE SUN STILL UP during Holiday and occassional Helsinki shoutouts.

If it's a sound quality thing I honestly think it's because they're playing huge stadiums and it's not good for recording. They sounded great when I was there but I haven't found any videos of my show where the sound isn't crappy (it's either drowned out with bass if it was recorded near the stage or too quiet and disrupted by crowd noise further away). I think fan recordings from arena shows or smaller shows and of course professional recordings will always sound better than fan recordings from a stadium.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Hermione said:

If it's a sound quality thing I honestly think it's because they're playing huge stadiums and it's not good for recording. They sounded great when I was there but I haven't found any videos of my show where the sound isn't crappy (it's either drowned out with bass if it was recorded near the stage or too quiet and disrupted by crowd noise further away). I think fan recordings from arena shows or smaller shows and of course professional recordings will always sound better than fan recordings from a stadium.

The show I mentioned as an example (Rock am Ring) had professional footage and I'm pretty sure most of it was even livestreamed to the internet. My point was that when I was prepping for my very first ever Green Day show, I paid really close attention to the shows building up for it to have some kind of idea what songs are they performing, how long is the set, do they still sound good post-rehab etc, stuff like that. They sounded exactly like they did during Rock am Ring, which is a good thing since that show is just one of their highlights during 99 Revolutions Tour. It's not a bad thing.

This whole thing started from a post where I criticized their setlist, which was boring, repetitive and dull. Those are the words I said after posting my thoughts on their setlist and I made sure not to criticize their performance during the tour (except the whole ''shittier version of hits'', which was about that they of course will never sound as good as they did during their peak), since I couldn't attend it. Hits had to be performed, but I wasn't fan of omitting last 10 years from the shows (excluding Pollyanna and Still Breathing, which was performed in 2021 IIRC) and since I happen to be a really big fan of Trilogy, I'd much rather have whole Dos! performed instead of any AI hits. That's just me and my opinion, obviously they can't do and wont do that, especially on stadium shows post-COVID.

And still, I stand by my words. This whole Hella Mega Tour purely setlist wise was indeed very boring and didn't offer much to the fans, except they might have performed Nice Guys Finish Last once. Casuals got to hear their biggest hits, but man I'd kill to hear any song from Trilogy or FOAM again.

While writing this post, I suddenly started to have these ideas, so I'd propose following changes to make shows more unique and fun experience going forward:

- Swap Jesus of Suburbia for Homecoming even once, if both can't be performed during the same show. I feel like this is ridiculously overdue at this point.
- Instead of 10 minutes of Hitchin' a Ride, play 1-2 songs from the last 10 years. Nuclear Family/Sugar Youth, Stay the Night/Say Goodbye, Murder City/Stray Heart and so on.
- Swap Dookie songs; play Basket Case and She one show, next show Basket Case and Pulling Teeth, next show Basket Case and FOD and so on. Maybe play Welcome to Paradise this show and play Burnout next show instead. Just small amount of variety, nothing crazy has to happen before 30th Anniversary.
- Perform rare songs in acoustic set before finishing with Good Riddance (this is what Billie did during 21st CB and RR Tour, so I assume this will come back in next tour)
- Rotate AI hits. Keep the most important one (Boulevard) on every show, but not every show needs both AI and Holiday.. or do they? Discuss.
- Some shows could have full band encore instead of Billie's solo acoustic encore (99 Revolutions Tour had full band encore). Great time to finish with oldies, as seen earlier this year.
- Save covers for The Coverups
- Do something new with stale songs; new instrument, acoustic version, shortened version, anything. Basket Case could be performed during acoustic encore,
- Green Day loves to throw covers there and then and sometimes do cover medleys before Brain Stew. How about do the same, but instead of covers, it's their songs? Think albums like Kerplunk, 21st CB or Trilogy. How cool it would be to hear No One Knows' bass intro and then get thrown to something from Nimrod, followed by more fun from 21st CB and Trilogy?

There are all just ideas that I'd love to see GD do, but they're instead playing the exact same songs from tour to tour and there isn't much variety or new to added to stale songs. I have a lot of understanding for this tour, since it wasn't Green Day's own and it was first tour post-COVID, but man I'd love to see even some of my ideas to happen.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hermione said:

They had different aims on this tour because it was a coheadlining tour. Not every show they play is about hardcore Green Day fans - they were only a minority of the crowd. And it wasn't about people who attend multiple shows per tour (who were a TINY minority on this tour) or people watching videos at home either. These shows were about everyone in the stadium knowing and being into every song, and a well rehearsed tight setlist that they can knock out of the park every night, and a great atmosphere as a result. Weezer and FOB also played hits and didn't vary setlists much for the same reason.

If you personally would've preferred what you described that's fine. But that doesn't mean that's what the majority of people at these shows would've preferred. These weren't small shows or even arena shows and it wasn't a regular Green Day tour. Adjusting the setlist to suit a coheadlining tour of stadiums was the appropriate thing to do. It's likely what the band would've enjoyed the most as well - they've said many times how they don't like playing songs that half the crowd doesn't know, and they seem to get most of their enjoyment from the crowd reaction/atmosphere at shows rather than caring a lot about what songs they play to get it.

I'm pretty sure at this point you're arguing against something I'm not even disagreeing with, making this whole discussion pointless. English is my 2nd language, so something might get lost in translation from my finnish brain to english text, but I'm pretty sure I've never said that they need to play only songs from albums hardcore fans like the most. In fact, even on changes I've proposed, I didn't say ditch Boulevard or never play Dookie hits again, in fact it was the opposite what I proposed. Keep them, but rotate some songs to keep setlist fresh and unique for each show.

3 hours ago, Miko said:

Keep them, but rotate some songs to keep setlist fresh and unique for each show.

Yes! I would love it if Green Day did this more. Back in 2016 I saw The Cure two nights in a row and it was 2 completely different shows. Sure, there were some songs they played both nights, but they appeared at different moments in the setlist making it not a carbon copy. Same goes for NIN. If Green Day started doing this, I would love to see them as many times as I could on tour!

• Like 4

On 7/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, Miko said:

There are all just ideas that I'd love to see GD do, but they're instead playing the exact same songs from tour to tour and there isn't much variety or new to added to stale songs. I have a lot of understanding for this tour, since it wasn't Green Day's own and it was first tour post-COVID, but man I'd love to see even some of my ideas to happen.

You're goddamn right and you should say it. We cut Green Day a lot of slack, these are things they could easily incorporate. Yes, even at a stadium show. The casual audience will survive one or two deep cuts.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Update from Jake (he's walking again) 

I'm sorry if this very obvious, but who is Jake?