Hella Mega Tour with Weezer, Fall Out Boy

Sanity Loan

Just now, DookieLukie said:

These days, you are either "pandering" if you speak up or "complicit" when you are silent. GD shouldn't care about what keyboard warriors will think.

One of the rare moments I actually agree with you, though likely for different reasons LOL. A lot of people are just saying whatever they think they have to to look "woke" while really giving zero fucks about the issues they are talking about. It's easy to talk about problems and hard to do something about them. I would much rather that people work privately than speak publicly. 

53 minutes ago, jengd said:

It’s very easy to jump on any bandwagon, it’s actions that count.  We know who this band are from their actions in the past, supporting many great charities and causes over the years, publicly and quietly.  That’s what’s important, nobody for one second can think they support Putin.

To be fair I never for one second questioned their hearts. I know Billie is an extremely caring, generous person.  Maybe he’s just so modest about it he doesn’t shout it from the rooftops, but for a band that are known for taking political positions and considering the heavily social/political punk scene they come from, their public positions in recent years just come off as anemic to me and not very inspiring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

To be fair I never for one second questioned their hearts. I know Billie is an extremely caring, generous person.  Maybe he’s just so modest about it he doesn’t shout it from the rooftops, but for a band that are known for taking political positions and considering the heavily social/political punk scene they come from, their public positions in recent years just come off as anemic to me and not very inspiring.

I can see what you are saying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

their public positions in recent years just come off as anemic to me and not very inspiring.

I feel this. 

There sometimes is bit or confusion when I was making comments on this thread of other threads about something lacking. I meant for over the past few years they’ve seemed like they’ve been not very super passionate about anything especially promoting or new music. Except for the Longshot. That was a pleasant surprise and it was amazingly fun. But that wasn’t all of Green Day. Tré and Mike seemed to purposefully distance themselves from the Longshot.

The Hella Mega tour didn’t have anything too surprising or fun, the behind the scenes videos were not very behind the scenes and seemed to just be a ploy to build the Oakland Coffee mailing list. Except for Tré Cool and his behind the scenes shower livestreams from the tour. God bless him. He’s funny and interesting and definitely can’t say he doesn’t try to bring the behind the scenes to friends and fans while on tour.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I would like to try to understand this,  but I fear we will just go in circles and derail the thread again. What would this accomplish? Sometimes you have to work within an oppressive structure to subvert it and destroy it from the inside out (A lot of revolutionary work has been done that; this statement is hardly a revolutionary act LOL, but you get what I mean). Bold overt actions might make people feel good but often just get crushed by the oppressor and have no real impact. As even you have said here, there are a lot of people saying a lot of things right now that sound great but don't make a difference. I would rather Green Day (and everyone) skip that and try to do something that has an impact. This statement may or may not be it, but it might just be better than the platitudes people are throwing around.

A statement made by a band doesn’t have much of an impact under any circumstances, which is also why I’m not too pressed about what GD does regarding this. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t hurt my feelings. I’m honestly too preoccupied to bother with anything that trivial. Putting that aside, you’ve just said something that shows a lack of understanding both of the history and of the present. I’d like to try and explain it, even though it’s honestly draining to have to explain things that are obvious to everyone who ever lived east of West Berlin. But I’ll try to do my best. There are people in Russia who are currently being persecuted, because they have called the “special military operation” a war or an invasion or said they’re against the war (What war? There is only an operation indended to stop a genocide of Russians. Saying it’s wrong to do this clearly is treason). You can end up in jail for taking part in protests. People “smuggle” news to Russia by copypasting news into Google reviews of restaurants. It’s nothing that foreign to most of the region - my uncle spent a few years in jail for painting anti-soviet graffiti during the Soviet occupation (that was also a “special military operation” by the way), the same almost happened to his dad for voting against putting up a statue of Stalin in his town (thankfully Stalin died and shortly after the official policy regarding him changed), just to cite examples from my own family. In a situation like this, it doesn’t matter what you put out there - it’s going to get censored and if you manage to get past censorship, which is a lot easier these days thanks to social media, you’re risking legal repercussions. Or not even repercussions - Russian activists don’t even have to bother to say anything, they often get busted in advance of events they would protest against. In spite of all of that, hundreds of thousands of people signed an anti-war petition, they still speak out on social media and risk high fines and serving time in jail for taking part in protests. Do you think the director of the Moscow theatre would have got to keep her job if she hadn’t stepped down as part of her protest? Do you think the climate scientist who apologized for the invasion at the UN panel is keeping his position at a state-owned institute? Should they have used an euphemism instead? People who actually are affected by this are trying to get the truth out at the cost of personal discomfort. That’s what they have to do. The alternative is repeating the official lies or silence. Of course, US companies with very little to lose aren’t going to help them but you know, given the circumstances, it’s kinda like… you see people risking their lives to say the obvious - that there is a war - and then you see someone who’s risking nothing going in a circle around the elephant in the room and you’re a little like “damn…”

I hope this explains it. Euphemism was the language of the USSR and it’s the language of Putin’s Russia.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

A statement made by a band doesn’t have much of an impact under any circumstances, which is also why I’m not too pressed about what GD does regarding this. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t hurt my feelings. I’m honestly too preoccupied to bother with anything that trivial. Putting that aside, you’ve just said something that shows a lack of understanding both of the history and of the present. I’d like to try and explain it, even though it’s honestly draining to have to explain things that are obvious to everyone who ever lived east of West Berlin. But I’ll try to do my best. There are people in Russia who are currently being persecuted, because they have called the “special military operation” a war or an invasion or said they’re against the war (What war? There is only an operation indended to stop a genocide of Russians. Saying it’s wrong to do this clearly is treason). You can end up in jail for taking part in protests. People “smuggle” news to Russia by copypasting news into Google reviews of restaurants. It’s nothing that foreign to most of the region - my uncle spent a few years in jail for painting anti-soviet graffiti during the Soviet occupation (that was also a “special military operation” by the way), the same almost happened to his dad for voting against putting up a statue of Stalin in his town (thankfully Stalin died and shortly after the official policy regarding him changed), just to cite examples from my own family. In a situation like this, it doesn’t matter what you put out there - it’s going to get censored and if you manage to get past censorship, which is a lot easier these days thanks to social media, you’re risking legal repercussions. Or not even repercussions - Russian activists don’t even have to bother to say anything, they often get busted in advance of events they would protest against. In spite of all of that, hundreds of thousands of people signed an anti-war petition, they still speak out on social media and risk high fines and serving time in jail for taking part in protests. Do you think the director of the Moscow theatre would have got to keep her job if she hadn’t stepped down as part of her protest? Do you think the climate scientist who apologized for the invasion at the UN panel is keeping his position at a state-owned institute? Should they have used an euphemism instead? People who actually are affected by this are trying to get the truth out at the cost of personal discomfort. That’s what they have to do. The alternative is repeating the official lies or silence. Of course, US companies with very little to lose aren’t going to help them but you know, given the circumstances, it’s kinda like… you see people risking their lives to say the obvious - that there is a war - and then you see someone who’s risking nothing going in a circle around the elephant in the room and you’re a little like “damn…”

I hope this explains it. Euphemism was the language of the USSR and it’s the language of Putin’s Russia.

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to explain all of this; I am certain you have better things to do. Obviously I cannot possibly understand what is going on the same way as someone like you who lives there and whose family has lived through all of this, though I have made an effort--and not just since the war started--to educate myself on the situation the situation (BTW, thank you for sharing all this about your family; I did not know you had family in this area; I thought you were from England and went to study in the Czech Republic--is it now Czechia?-- just because). I would also like to state again that I have been commenting over and over since this conversation started on how much respect I have for the thousands of Russian citizens who are risking what freedom they have and even their lives to stand against this war, and how I refuse to throw any hate toward the Russian people and Russia as a whole; my hate is reserved for Putin as an individual. I have also talked quite a bit about the failure of the West to take Putin's actions in Ukraine seriously over the past several years, and about the dangers of his propaganda. Let's not forget that Russian propaganda has also been behind false claims about the U.S. election that millions of American have bought into and that brought the U.S. dangerously close to a violent overthrow of its democratic government. So don't think for an instant that this does not affect those of us in the U.S. Putin's goal is to destabilize the whole world and then give himself an excuse to "intervene" wherever he pleases. 

But we are talking about Green Day, and Green Day is an American rock band, not a group of Russian dissidents. Suppose they had made a bolder statement against Putin and his war. What effect would that have had? I suppose it would show solidarity with the Russians who are risking their necks to protest, and that is admirable, but would those same Russians ever have seen those words of solidarity? Unlikely, since the Russian state would have either blocked the statement entirely or grossly perverted it to fit Putin's narrative. So would good what it have done? And by this logic, would Green Day actually have had the most impact had they kept the tour date, gone to Russia, and spoken powerfully there in support of the protestors and against Putin and his war? Obviously they would still not have been opening themselves up to the kind of risk that Russian protestors are since they are Western celebrities with very heavy security, and even if they somehow managed to get kidnapped and jailed, the U.S. would no doubt figure out how to free them pretty quickly (the U.S. has actually been pretty bad about freeing American journalists and other regular citizens that have been wrongly imprisoned abroad, but I am sure they could figure out how to free high-profile celebrities pretty quickly).

All of this reminds me of bell hooks' discussion of Adrienne Rich's quote: "This is the oppressor's language yet I need it to talk to you." (Ironically I just happened to be reading about this.) hooks uses this to talk about the use of English among enslaved African peoples in the Americas, but the idea applies here as far as language being used to oppress but then being co-opted by the oppressed as a form of resistance. The euphemistic statement, using the oppressor's language, was the only way Green Day could say something that those resisting in Russia would get to hear.

Anyway we are off-topic yet again, so if you would like to discuss this further you are welcome to PM me.

12 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

Thank you, of course no one can know everything about every place in the world. There’s no issue with that, but it’s always good to listen to people who have more of an insight.

I’ve adressed/did my best to explain what I had to say about the public statements and I don’t want to repeat myself…

I don’t think this is comparable with what Adrienne Rich was talking about - a lot of her writing was about negotiating new positions in a social system you are a part of as both someone who’s being opressed, but also an opressor (partiarchy/women but also white women/women of color). That’s not the same as being forced to say things like “peaceful military presence” while your government commits genocide. That’s not a context where any social change is being negotiated so you can’t treat it as such. If I keep claiming the sky is red, you can’t prove me wrong by engaging the possibility it’s pink.

28 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Green Day

Sorry we got distracted talking about “unfortunate events”

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

Thank you, of course no one can know everything about every place in the world. There’s no issue with that, but it’s always good to listen to people who have more of an insight.

I’ve adressed/did my best to explain what I had to say about the public statements and I don’t want to repeat myself…

I don’t think this is comparable with what Adrienne Rich was talking about - a lot of her writing was about negotiating new positions in a social system you are a part of as both someone who’s being opressed, but also an opressor (partiarchy/women but also white women/women of color). That’s not the same as being forced to say things like “peaceful military presence” while your government commits genocide. That’s not a context where any social change is being negotiated so you can’t treat it as such. If I keep claiming the sky is red, you can’t prove me wrong by engaging the possibility it’s pink.

Sorry we got distracted talking about “unfortunate events”

I agree with all of this. I did not really want to talk about myself since none of this is about me, but I did have great-grandparents who fled Poland (or what was soon to become Poland) during World War I. Of course that was way before my time and they died long before I was born and the stories of their experience that came down through the family were limited, but I still know something about the history of that part of the world and the bad things that have happened (and continue to happen) there. 

I completely agree with what you said about the false propaganda statements. Those can in no way be entertained. But my comment was referring to the band's statement. I just still am not sure what else they could have said that would have made a difference. They could have said something stronger, but the people who needed to hear it wouldn't have gotten too, and it would just be preaching to the choir without making any real difference for the rest of us. 

Anyway, not going to take up anymore space here, and you are always welcome to message me if you want.

Okaaaaaaaaay.
giphy.gif

Can someone remind me of when the first of the HM tour dates for this year is? I'm too lazy to look it up. 😅

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slave To The Network said:

Okaaaaaaaaay.
giphy.gif

Can someone remind me of when the first of the HM tour dates for this year is? I'm too lazy to look it up. 😅

I’m bored.

Entertain me please GDC.

I looked it up:

MAR 19, 2022

INNINGS FESTIVAL FLORIDA

TAMPA, FL

APR 29, 2022

SHAKY KNEES MUSIC FESTIVAL

ATLANTA, GA

TICKETS

JUN 1, 2022

WUHLHEIDE

BERLIN, GERMANY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 3, 2022

ROCK IM PARK

NUREMBERG, GERMANY

JUNE 3RD-5TH, 2022 (SINGLE DAY LINE-UP TBA)

TICKETS

JUN 3, 2022

ROCK AM RING

NÜRBURG, GERMANY

JUNE 3RD-5TH (SINGLE DAY LINE-UP TBA)

TICKETS

JUN 7, 2022

FORUM COPENHAGEN

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

TICKETS

JUN 9, 2022

COLORLINE STADIUM

ALESUND, NORWAY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 11, 2022

TELE2 ARENA

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 15, 2022

IPPODROMO SAN SIRO

MILAN, ITALY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 16, 2022

FIRENZE ROCKS

FLORENCE, ITALY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 18, 2022

ROCK FOR PEOPLE

HRADEC KRÁLOVÉ, CZECHIA

TICKETS

JUN 19, 2022

ERNST-HAPPEL STADION

VIENNA, AUSTRIA

HELLA MEGA TOUR W/ GREEN DAY, FALL OUT BOY, WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 21, 2022

ANTWERPS SPORTPALEIS

ANTWERP, BELGIUM

TICKETS

JUN 22, 2022

STADSPARK

GRONINGEN, NETHERLANDS

TICKETS

JUN 24, 2022

LONDON STADIUM

LONDON, UK

TICKETS

JUN 25, 2022

JOHN SMITH'S STADIUM

HUDDERSFIELD, UK

TICKETS

JUN 27, 2022

VENUE TBA

DUBLIN, IRELAND

TICKETS

JUN 29, 2022

BELLAHOUSTON PARK

GLASGOW, UK

TICKETS

JUL 1, 2022

GAROROCK FESTIVAL

MARMANDE, FRANCE

TICKETS

JUL 2, 2022

PARIS LA DEFENSE ARENA

PARIS, FRANCE

TICKETS

SEP 9, 2022

ROCK IN RIO

BARRA DA TIJUCA, BRAZIL

W/ FALL OUT BOY

TICKETS

SEP 24, 2022

FIREFLY MUSIC FESTIVAL

DOVER, DE

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I agree with all of this. I did not really want to talk about myself since none of this is about me, but I did have great-grandparents who fled Poland (or what was soon to become Poland) during World War I. Of course that was way before my time and they died long before I was born and the stories of their experience that came down through the family were limited, but I still know something about the history of that part of the world and the bad things that have happened (and continue to happen) there. 

I completely agree with what you said about the false propaganda statements. Those can in no way be entertained. But my comment was referring to the band's statement. I just still am not sure what else they could have said that would have made a difference. They could have said something stronger, but the people who needed to hear it wouldn't have gotten too, and it would just be preaching to the choir without making any real difference for the rest of us. 

Anyway, not going to take up anymore space here, and you are always welcome to message me if you want.

It seems you’re still struggling to grasp my point, but I really don’t know what else I could say to help you understand it. Try re-reading what I’ve said… I don’t have the energy to type it out again. 

2 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I’m bored.

Entertain me please GDC.

I looked it up:

MAR 19, 2022

INNINGS FESTIVAL FLORIDA

TAMPA, FL

APR 29, 2022

SHAKY KNEES MUSIC FESTIVAL

ATLANTA, GA

TICKETS

JUN 1, 2022

WUHLHEIDE

BERLIN, GERMANY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 3, 2022

ROCK IM PARK

NUREMBERG, GERMANY

JUNE 3RD-5TH, 2022 (SINGLE DAY LINE-UP TBA)

TICKETS

JUN 3, 2022

ROCK AM RING

NÜRBURG, GERMANY

JUNE 3RD-5TH (SINGLE DAY LINE-UP TBA)

TICKETS

JUN 7, 2022

FORUM COPENHAGEN

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

TICKETS

JUN 9, 2022

COLORLINE STADIUM

ALESUND, NORWAY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 11, 2022

TELE2 ARENA

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 15, 2022

IPPODROMO SAN SIRO

MILAN, ITALY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 16, 2022

FIRENZE ROCKS

FLORENCE, ITALY

W/ GREEN DAY + WEEZER

TICKETS

JUN 18, 2022

ROCK FOR PEOPLE

HRADEC KRÁLOVÉ, CZECHIA

TICKETS

JUN 19, 2022

ERNST-HAPPEL STADION

VIENNA, AUSTRIA

TICKETS

JUN 21, 2022

ANTWERPS SPORTPALEIS

ANTWERP, BELGIUM

TICKETS

JUN 22, 2022

STADSPARK

GRONINGEN, NETHERLANDS

TICKETS

JUN 24, 2022

LONDON STADIUM

LONDON, UK

TICKETS

JUN 25, 2022

JOHN SMITH'S STADIUM

HUDDERSFIELD, UK

TICKETS

JUN 27, 2022

VENUE TBA

DUBLIN, IRELAND

TICKETS

JUN 29, 2022

BELLAHOUSTON PARK

GLASGOW, UK

TICKETS

JUL 1, 2022

GAROROCK FESTIVAL

MARMANDE, FRANCE

TICKETS

JUL 2, 2022

PARIS LA DEFENSE ARENA

PARIS, FRANCE

TICKETS

SEP 9, 2022

ROCK IN RIO

BARRA DA TIJUCA, BRAZIL

W/ FALL OUT BOY

TICKETS

SEP 24, 2022

FIREFLY MUSIC FESTIVAL

DOVER, DE

Very entertaining list to scroll through. 10/10

12 hours ago, Slave To The Network said:

Okaaaaaaaaay.
giphy.gif

19th june in vienna :)

• Like 2

Ooooh! So a show coming up in just a little over 2 weeks! I'm excited!

43 minutes ago, ilaria idiot said:

I still think there is unlikely to be a European tour this year. I am really pessimistic

Yeah I just don't know. Might depend not only on the virus but also what happens in Ukraine? 

• Like 2

What do guys think - considering the latest Omicron wave: will the Hella Mega Tour go ahead in June in Europe as planned? It's just 3 months away.

I sincerely hope so and am still optimistic.  Lots of countries loosening entry regs and a drive to get back to normal.  Could the Ukrainians invasion throw things off again, who knows at this point?

• Like 2

ukraine wont be a problem for the tour unless ww3 starts ...

i dont know how other european countries decide about festivals/shows during the omicron wave, but i think everyone is ok with festivals etc taking place. germany is still in talks how we will manage the spring/summer months, next week on thursday our politicians will meet again and discuss their plan

On 3/6/2022 at 4:31 PM, ilaria idiot said:

I still think there is unlikely to be a European tour this year. I am really pessimistic

Based on what? Covid in Europe is pretty much over in terms of restrictions. The tour will definitely happen.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

unless WW 3 happens, which honestly… who knows?! I hope we’re still alive by June

This 🤞🏼🤞🏼

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Based on what? Covid in Europe is pretty much over in terms of restrictions. The tour will definitely happen.

german politicians *hold my weizen beer*

• Like 1