History & Technical Info on Blue (Including Replicas & Backups)

Liam

16 hours ago, TedRogers said:

yeah I'm 100% certain Blue is an RST-80.

Here's an article from a Japanese magazine called 'Guitar Breakers' where they went in to a lot of detail working out it's most likely an RST-80 - if you run this through Google translate it does a pretty good job 😁

magazine.jpg

The RST-80's were top of the line, so had a Nitro body finish (the neck's would have still been Poly according to this http://www.music-trade.co.jp/fenandeshistory2.html). As well as the V profile, something else that differs from the RST-50 to the RST-80 is that the RST-80 had the classic round string tree. A second was added at some point, but if you look at really early photos of Blue you can see it has the single round string tree.

I've got an RST-50, and it's an awesome guitar - but it's a Poly finish, with a C shaped neck. I've also got a Fender Vintera Road Worn 50s strat, which is a great option if you want something very similar to Blue - Nitro Sonic Blue finish, with a soft V neck. They've been discontinued now, but there still seem to be a few floating around, e.g. https://reverb.com/au/item/69428613-fender-limited-edition-de-vintera-road-worn-50s-stratocaster-hss-sonic-blue

Awesome! Once again, those international publications always coming in clutch to answer our questions.

Good observation about the string tree, as it has definitely changed a few times over the years. In the video of 10 year old Billie playing Blue when it was brand new, you can see it's the round one. I'm curious though why any trees stayed on when the Sperzels were added in August '94. The staggered posts are designed to eliminate the need for them. A little more tension than I'd like for my guitars, but probably helped the guitar stay in tune with Billie's playing style, especially back then. 

That Fender Vintera Road Worn is a great guitar, and certainly a solid replica platform. Although it is worth noting those (and the Vintera Modified guitars) have the modern dual-pivot tremolo as opposed to the vintage 6 hole. If you really want to be precise while still using a Fender, the Vintera 50's Sonic Blue Stratocasters are a great place to start too. Unfortunately they're discontinued, but they are available second hand: https://reverb.com/item/81377953-fender-vintera-50-s-stratocaster-with-fender-deluxe-molded-hard-case-sonic-blue-7lbs-6oz

The Classic Series 50's Daphne Blue Strats that came before them are nice to trick out also. I had to start completely from scratch for my '97 nimrod Blue Fender replica. The body I'm having custom made to get the left handed tremolo route, as well as a Birdseye maple neck to go with it. I guess it is accurate to the original in the end as that guitar was assembled from parts. Really looking forward to finishing that!

Also for anyone interested in replicating the Blue LE-1 with the modified headstock, I'd recommend using the Fender MIM Lake Placid Blue Strat as your base guitar: https://reverb.com/item/78939499-fender-standard-stratocaster-with-maple-fretboard-2009-2017-lake-placid-blue

Edited by Drink Coffee And Destroy
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 9:15 PM, Hammie Stein said:

Salmon Pink/Red Offset Guitar (1995)
Seen as a back up for Blue at Stabler Arena, Bethlehem (11/11/1995)

- Used on She after Blue broke a string on Basket C.ase
- Model details unknown

X4znzGi.jpg

I just come across another picture of this. The November 1995 issue of German 'Bravo' magazine has a clearer image. But, I still cannot make out the model details.

ryb0yFI.png

• Like 2

On 10/12/2024 at 6:41 AM, Hammie Stein said:

I just come across another picture of this. The November 1995 issue of German 'Bravo' magazine has a clearer image. But, I still cannot make out the model details.

ryb0yFI.png

Great find! Yeah, this is still an anomaly. The most I can make out of this photo spec-wise besides the color is the Gibson style Tune-O-Matic bridge, black Strat-type headstock, and rosewood fretboard. I'll do some digging as well and see if I can find anything. 

16 hours ago, Drink Coffee And Destroy said:

Great find! Yeah, this is still an anomaly. The most I can make out of this photo spec-wise besides the color is the Gibson style Tune-O-Matic bridge, black Strat-type headstock, and rosewood fretboard. I'll do some digging as well and see if I can find anything. 

Absolutely! Its very odd. The left half of the body almost looks Jazz bass inspired. The pickguard is very similar to the Jazz Bass design too. But, the right half of the body closer to the neck join is where it seems to get a little more interesting. 

14 hours ago, Hammie Stein said:

Absolutely! Its very odd. The left half of the body almost looks Jazz bass inspired. The pickguard is very similar to the Jazz Bass design too. But, the right half of the body closer to the neck join is where it seems to get a little more interesting. 

100%, I definitely get jazzmaster vibes from this one. Particularly with the output jack coming off the pickguard. Rooting around just searching for offsets, I found this forum with a pretty comprehensive list of offset models: https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4957&start=150. Might be worth picking apart this list and seeing what comes of it.