Revolution radio thoughts

Nathan2521

Just now, JoeFrusciante said:

It's clearly in the same vein though, same formula throughout. It's an ok Green Day album but it's a bang average album compared to the rest of the modern "rock" music

Just because it has some political songs, doesn't mean it's trying to be AI. I think it's much closer to Warning than AI. There are more personal, nostalgic or fun-sounding songs than political songs

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Billie Joe wasn't trying to make some lyrical masterpiece with RR. This isn't AI or even 21CB.

Honestly I'm surprised you were expecting masterful lyrics after the trilogy. 

So basically what you are saying is nobody should expect high quality lyrics anymore after the trilogy? :lol: Excellent.  You are basically admitting the lyrics are crap.

Just now, MysticManiac said:

Just because it has some political songs, doesn't mean it's trying to be AI. I think it's much closer to Warning than AI. There are more personal, nostalgic or fun-sounding songs than political songs

Not my point, the same laboured chord progressions and general song structure, the same old lyrics begging for a "revolution" it just feels like they're going through the motions. How can people argue that Green Day are evolving when they're still labouring at the same point, in the same way

18 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

So basically what you are saying is nobody should expect high quality lyrics anymore after the trilogy? :lol: Excellent.  You are basically admitting the lyrics are crap.

I'm admitting that the lyrics aren't masterful and are not trying to be. And I'm saying that after the trilogy which had meh lyrics, you shouldn't be expecting masterful lyrics

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I'm admitting that the lyrics aren't masterful and are not trying to be. And I'm saying that after the trilogy which had meh lyrics, you shouldn't be expecting masterful lyrics

So basically what I've been saying from the beginning... The lyrics are crap.

8 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

So basically what I've been saying from the beginning... The lyrics are crap.

If these lyrics are crap, then most of their pre-AI stuff is crap. The lyrics aren't as good as AI or 21CB but with maybe a few exceptions, the lyrics on this album are as good as most of the pre-AI albums

31 minutes ago, JoeFrusciante said:

Not my point, the same laboured chord progressions and general song structure, the same old lyrics begging for a "revolution" it just feels like they're going through the motions. How can people argue that Green Day are evolving when they're still labouring at the same point, in the same way

That's pretty much my main complaint about the album. I wouldn't mind the terrible lyrics as much if the album was musically fantastic. But unfortunately it's pretty much same old, same old, which makes the mediocre lyrics stick out like a sore thumb.

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

If these lyrics are crap, then most of their pre-AI stuff is crap. The lyrics aren't as good as AI or 21CB but with maybe a few exceptions, the lyrics on this album are as good as most of the pre-AI albums

Only if by "most of the pre-AI albums" you actually just mean 1039 Smooth :lol:

8 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Looking for a cause
But all I got was Santa Claus

That is the best line of the song though.

1 hour ago, Tinkle said:

That is the best line of the song though.

And THAT says everything about the song really :P:lol:

19 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

And THAT says everything about the song really :P:lol:

Why don't you like it - just because its simplistic - sorry I really am not on the same page as you.  

1 minute ago, Tinkle said:

Why don't you like it - just because its simplistic - sorry I really am not on the same page as you.  

It's cool... We don't have to be on the same page. I don't think it's simplistic. I think it's nonsense. Just a bunch of random sentences (that make sense separately) thrown together. It's not just this song, it's most of revrad. 

Just now, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

It's cool... We don't have to be on the same page. I don't think it's simplistic. I think it's nonsense. Just a bunch of random sentences (that make sense separately) thrown together. It's not just this song, it's most of revrad. 

It was my skipper on RevRad but I do like the start - anyways I was friggin happy to hear it live along with Youngblood which really does suck as a song:)

Man I know opinions opinions and everyone likes whatever he wants.

But it's green day. Billie joe was like 19-20 and he wrote one of my lies. He wrote such serious meaningful lyrics in a young age. And now we get all these meaningless lines and yeah maybe you can try and justify some of them but even Billie has said he has written songs that are just sentences thrown together(Nuclear family). So as much as you can try and find a meaning behind everything subpar he wrote I can come and say "no it's non-sense and another song with lyrics being random sentences". 

I seriously can't find a cringe line in everything up until American Idiot. Even in kerplunk and 1039 when he was basically a horny teenager getting friendzoned all the time. Maybe some here and there in 21st. Trilogy had a lot of them, plus all the unnecessary look-at-me-I'm-so-punk-and-rebellious swearing  and revrad is still full of lines like that. Especially the "my name is Billie and I'm freaking out" song. Goddamn I seriously must have listened to that song 2 or 3 times I can't get myself to keep listening after it starts like that. It can be a legit good song but "my name is billie and i'm freaking out"? It makes me super cringe idk why.

At the end of the day even if you do enjoy the lyrics of revrad and the trilogy you have to admit they are subpar compared to what he was writting in kerplunk, insomniac, nimrod and warning. I think I took for granted billie lyrics being that good and I'm actually appreciating his lyricism in the older albums now more that I see everything being that bad.

6 minutes ago, petros said:

Especially the "my name is Billie and I'm freaking out" song. Goddamn I seriously must have listened to that song 2 or 3 times I can't get myself to keep listening after it starts like that. It can be a legit good song but "my name is billie and i'm freaking out"? It makes me super cringe idk why.

At the end of the day even if you do enjoy the lyrics of revrad and the trilogy you have to admit they are subpar compared to what he was writting in kerplunk, insomniac, nimrod and warning. I think I took for granted billie lyrics being that good and I'm actually appreciating his lyricism in the older albums now more that I see everything being that bad.

I love that line - also the trilogy & RevRad songs are killer live.  I am in the minority for liking the trilogy but I don't take the lyrics seriously.  F*** time & DRB are still my ring tones.:)

50 minutes ago, petros said:

At the end of the day even if you do enjoy the lyrics of revrad and the trilogy you have to admit they are subpar compared to what he was writting in kerplunk, insomniac, nimrod and warning. 

Nope

Stating that certain lines or songs are just nonsense doesn't make it a fact. Plenty of people have seen meaning in them and explained the meaning in them. Whether lyrics are good or not is a matter of subjective opinion and taste.

3 hours ago, Alan86 said:

Well yes that is the point. Lots of lyrics are metaphors, have hidden meaning and make more sense in the context of a full song or album. People see this in some lyrics but refuse to or can't see it in other lyrics. Why say one simple lyric is great because it has hidden meaning and then criticise another simple lyric at its face value when it also has hidden or double meaning?

Right.

maybe that is some reason Billie's song is difficult to understand to some people or even fan (like me) his song make you think about things and express it whatever you wanted.

even though most of his songs about himself personally ;)

39 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Nope

Stating that certain lines or songs are just nonsense doesn't make it a fact. Plenty of people have seen meaning in them and explained the meaning in them. Whether lyrics are good or not is a matter of subjective opinion and taste.

Yeah but how many people has he moved with lyrics until 04 and how many after that? You can't deny that. Nobody can deny that. So even if you prefer 99 revolutions to minority I'm feeling like my view of green day lyrics is "more correct" than yours cause in the end if more people are touched by some lyrics than others then they must be better. Still of course better is a mater of opinion but if there is a subjectively right opinion it is that his lyrics have gone worse and worse since the trilogy and that's undeniable. 

But of course sure anybody can enjoy and prefer whatever he wants. I'm just saying that 8/10 people would prefer the lyrics of let's say Redundant to those of Youngblood. 

37 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Plenty of people have seen meaning in them and explained the meaning in them.

A few pages ago I took four or five lines from different GD songs off different GD albums and literally threw them together to demonstrate how individual lines/sentences can make sense but a paragraph can be meaningless and I had a few people on here tell me they found meaning in what I'd thrown together.

1 hour ago, Tinkle said:

I love that line - also the trilogy & RevRad songs are killer live.  I am in the minority for liking the trilogy but I don't take the lyrics seriously.  F*** time & DRB are still my ring tones.:)

The more I listen to the trilogy the more I like it. Well most of the songs at least. There are only a few I really do not like at all.

1 hour ago, petros said:

Man I know opinions opinions and everyone likes whatever he wants.

But it's green day. Billie joe was like 19-20 and he wrote one of my lies. He wrote such serious meaningful lyrics in a young age. And now we get all these meaningless lines and yeah maybe you can try and justify some of them but even Billie has said he has written songs that are just sentences thrown together(Nuclear family). So as much as you can try and find a meaning behind everything subpar he wrote I can come and say "no it's non-sense and another song with lyrics being random sentences". 

I seriously can't find a cringe line in everything up until American Idiot. Even in kerplunk and 1039 when he was basically a horny teenager getting friendzoned all the time. Maybe some here and there in 21st. Trilogy had a lot of them, plus all the unnecessary look-at-me-I'm-so-punk-and-rebellious swearing  and revrad is still full of lines like that. Especially the "my name is Billie and I'm freaking out" song. Goddamn I seriously must have listened to that song 2 or 3 times I can't get myself to keep listening after it starts like that. It can be a legit good song but "my name is billie and i'm freaking out"? It makes me super cringe idk why.

man, I can list count a lot song from Billie that has cringe line and having friendzone and being horny teenager but it will take forever. :ga:

I JUST FOUND OUT THEY PLAYED TOO DUMB TO DIE, WHAT THE ACUTAL FUCKZ

ANTHONY FANTANO GAVE IT A 3

I BETTER GIVE IT A 2

Btw, I just wanted to say that if you don't like Outlaws you're doing the whole Green Day thing wrong.

12 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Looking for a cause
But all I got was Santa Claus

What happens when you ask Mike's kid Ryan what rhymes with cause. 

I feel like a cello
Lost somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high, too scared to dream
But too dumb to die

I can definitely see the similarities between

"I'm the son of rage and love"

and

"I feel like a cello"

I can see teenagers pumping their fists in the air yelling that one out at the top of their lungs. Finally they've found an anthem that represents how they feel.

"Lost somewhere over the rainbow. Way up high."

And by the time they get to Forever Now they can also feel,

"lost in a tango"

Fabulous. 

He says "looking for a buzz, but all I got was Santa Clause"

And he explained the feeling like a cello as a cello being a very sad, but beautiful instrument. That probably just stuck with him and he decided to put it into his song.

I feel like "I shop online, so I can vote at the speed of life" is about advertising tactics. I could be wrong, but that's just what its made me think about.

Archived