Green Day Instagram Photos

BeachBum

On 10/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

5d18ad89d696638faa96750544f847ef75fecf05

"Doin my thing.." 

7a7c15f38e388aa413624ceafb170bc01c8a18b1

Anyone know where in London that little library is? Might try and find it at the end of the month when I’m over!

From Billie's Instagram story 

b34389c8d3047003b353c0f55eeeef4ab3d7cf4c

80986b152e9db4bc7a69f98417ceee8a42e97a8e

05bd65e22cc758975a9db7de30c8d56270acbcc0

• Like 1
  • Love 1

From Billie's Instagram story 

d70b104e0ebe38d86e6dc7ecd3c5067879136a43

0c4a724168a9de98718313d4bdbabc62f33fe0ae

254499967408f8da0bdfe87fb184838d15e96990

• Like 1

Ugh. This might be a really unpopular opinion, but I hate this trend of celebrities telling people whom to vote for. I'm cool with them expressing their opinion or saying they will vote for so and so for this or that reason, because they are people and can have and express opinions like anyone else. But actively telling people to go and vote for a certain candidate as he does at the end of the video... not a big fan.

Spoiler

On the gossipy side... anyone else notice that he posted this and like an hour later a certain wife posted a few videos ranting about how can people vote for Kamala? 🫣 And while she's made it clear who she is and who she is not supporting through what she shares, I think this the first time I see her actually record herself speaking about it... I found the timing of it a bit suspicious.

It's just too preachy. And I don't mean this just for Billie or just because he's supporting Kamala (don't get me started on Musk and Trump 😅), just that this happens to be a Green Day forum and Billie happened to do this last night, and the candidate he supports happens to be Kamala Harris. But I feel the same about any celebrity inviting to vote for any candidate. Inviting people to vote or to register to vote is also different from inviting people to vote for X candidate. Motivate people to be active participants in their democracy, and be part of the debate, for sure. Say you don't support X for this and that reason, and that instead you support Y because of this and that, be opinionated about things that are happening. All these things lead people to think about your arguments, Maybe your main reason to like or dislike a candidate is different from the perspective someone listening to you has been thinking about it, and will motivate them to look into that, or to look at the issue from a different angle. Write me a thought provoking anti-Trump punk rock opera. Just get people thinking by themselves rather than trying to get them to blindly follow whatever you say. I would much have rather that in that little clip instead of saying that "we all know the reasons why" [it's time to turn the page], he had elaborated on what those reasons are to him, and just skip the "please vote for Kamala" part. I think (and hope) people in their late 20s and above are not as easily swayed to vote for whomever their favorite celebrity is asking them to vote for. But younger people for whom this might be their first election, many of them for sure.

Also, whenever I've discussed politics with my partner, friends, family, colleagues, etc., we never finish the conversation by saying "please vote for X". I feel if someone in normal every day life did that I'd find it as unnerving as I do when celebrities do it. Even if they were telling me to vote for the candidate I support, I'd be like "why does this think they can tell me whom to vote for? that's entirely my choice".

It's just the fact they're already so vocally anti Trump and pro using your vote. Like, it's pretty clear that means they think people should vote for the other candidate.  It's true that we already know the reasons why. I think encouraging people to vote is a good thing and when it's already so clear which candidate he supports adding vote for Kamala doesn't change anything about his message. I think he did a little smile because he knows it's cheeky to say it though lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

I think he did a little smile because he knows it's cheeky to say it though lol

This part we can agree on :lol:  his face when he says it is like a kid trying to get away with something, very adorable. 

And yup, as I said in my post, I knew mine was going to be an unpopular opinion, but I stand by it :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cris. said:

Ugh. This might be a really unpopular opinion, but I hate this trend of celebrities telling people whom to vote for. I'm cool with them expressing their opinion or saying they will vote for so and so for this or that reason, because they are people and can have and express opinions like anyone else. But actively telling people to go and vote for a certain candidate as he does at the end of the video... not a big fan.

Hide contents

On the gossipy side... anyone else notice that he posted this and like an hour later a certain wife posted a few videos ranting about how can people vote for Kamala? 🫣 And while she's made it clear who she is and who she is not supporting through what she shares, I think this the first time I see her actually record herself speaking about it... I found the timing of it a bit suspicious.

she’s gone straight batshit. She posted a screenshot of a convo blatantly talking about billies video and then quickly deleted it. I guess she realised turning on him publicly would be kind of biting the hand that feeds?! 

• Surprised 6

3 hours ago, farley drexel hatcher said:

she’s gone straight batshit. She posted a screenshot of a convo blatantly talking about billies video and then quickly deleted it. I guess she realised turning on him publicly would be kind of biting the hand that feeds?! 

I missed that! But really the timing of her rant was telling enough even without directly pointing fingers 🙃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, farley drexel hatcher said:

This!  How absurd is she???  I mean it was very classless move.

15 hours ago, stories and songs said:

I really enjoy Taylor Swift’s endorsements because she lays out why she’s voting for someone with specific examples, says she knows who she’s voting for because she did her research, and encourages people to do their own research and choose the candidate who aligns best with their values. I think that’s a very thoughtful approach for a written post and a great way to especially get younger voters involved in the democratic process. 

That said, I’ve got zero issue with Billie posting a video saying hey, I’m voting Kamala, you know why and you should vote for her too. Because he’s fucking right. This is very literally life or death, democracy or fascism at stake. It’s not complicated and shouldn’t be as close of a race as it is. I felt really happy and proud that he took the time to post that. I know there’s debate over how effective celebrity endorsements are, but in my view, we’ll take all the help we can get.

And to @Hermione’s point, even though Taylor doesn’t outright say “you should vote for her too,” that’s what all political endorsements ultimately imply. Billie just came out and said it because he was speaking off the cuff and didn’t run a statement through his PR team lol.

I am not a fan of Taylor Swift's music, but I did appreciate her endorsement precisely for that reason. She said gave a few reasons why she is voting for Kamala, and invited people to simply do their research to choose their candidate and to vote. Sure, it means she thinks Kamala is the better choice, but leaves it open for people to make their own choice and reach their own conclusions. But yes, you have a good point that she surely had a full PR team stressing over every detail while Billie was going off the cuff. 

• Like 2

The danger of celebrity endorsements isn’t really the endorsement itself, but rather that there are people that will vote for someone JUST BECAUSE their favorite artist did. Taylor Swift did potentially nothing wrong, but her power is immense (400,000 people signed up to vote in 2 hrs after her post). One could argue she planned her endorsement with Kamala since it came out right after the debate. It’s just scary that people are so obsessed with any artist and don’t look into things themselves.

Side note: Every election makes people say “this one is different” and every election invokes this idea of “threat to our country if [candidate I don’t like] wins.” Thats just false rhetoric and has never been true. The president in the US just doesn’t have that kind of power, luckily.

• Like 2