Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

What's an "Emenius Sleepus" ?

Always saw it meaning something like "sleeper enemy." The song is about meeting up with a friend who's turned bad, so sleeper enemy (or someone who's behavior is activated given a certain event) would refer to this friend who's suddenly changed. Additionally, the narrator of the song changes too. "Not very long ago I was just like you." Maybe the friend was the sleeper agent that fueled the narrator to change his behavior.

• Like 3

Always saw it meaning something like "sleeper enemy." The song is about meeting up with a friend who's turned bad, so sleeper enemy (or someone who's behavior is activated given a certain event) would refer to this friend who's suddenly changed. Additionally, the narrator of the song changes too. "Not very long ago I was just like you." Maybe the friend was the sleeper agent that fueled the narrator to change his behavior.

That makes sense, I knew the meaning of the song but I've never seen "emenius" as a distortion of the word "enemy" !

That makes sense, I knew the meaning of the song but I've never seen "emenius" as a distortion of the word "enemy" !

I wasn't joking, that theory is bollocks. Emenius Sleepus is just bastardised Latin nonsense.

I wasn't joking, that theory is bollocks. Emenius Sleepus is just bastardised Latin nonsense.

Yeah but "sleepus" comes obviously from "sleep", no ?

Who knows. Billie was doing a lot of meth back then.

It's a Mike song ;)

But yeah. It's not remotely Latin in any way.

• Like 1

Thanks for putting a hyphen there, because...Adam's feelings would've been hurt otherwise. And I'm not canon. :o

#todam4ver

• Like 1

It's a Mike song ;)

But yeah. It's not remotely Latin in any way.

Pretty sure it's meant to sound like Latin though, like a fake Latin phrase.

Mike got asked this question not that long ago, but annoyingly he ignored the fact that the question was about the song title and just said what the song was about instead. I think he might've done that more than once actually so seems doubtful he'll explain it. But I think Lukie's right about it.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it's meant to sound like Latin though, like a fake Latin phrase.

Mike got asked this question not that long ago, but annoyingly he ignored the fact that the question was about the song title and just said what the song was about instead. I think he might've done that more than once actually so seems doubtful he'll explain it. But I think Lukie's right about it.

Yeah, that was the summer 2012 Idiot Club Q&A while they were in Japan I believe

Tom-Iva 1, Ceadog 1, NimJim -9,000

Screw you I was the one with the correct interpretation!

Screw you I was the one with the correct interpretation!

the interpretation derived from a bastardised Latin nonsense song title that has never been explained by the person who actually wrote it*