Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Who is Platypus about?

http://www.greendayauthority.com/music/song/72/

"Platypus was written for Tim Yohanon. And I pray to god I misspelled his name. Rest in shit you fucking cunt" -- Billie Joe

The song was written about Tim Yohannan, a founder of 924 Gilman St., and punk music critic. He openly disliked Green Day's breed of "pop-punk," and made it known in his post-"Dookie" reviews of the band. Yohannan would later die of lymphoma, which explains the lines, "I heard you're sick/Sucked on that cancer stick." The narrator later goes on to say that he's happy to hear of this man's coming death.

• Like 1

are there any quotes from Tim criticising Green Day?

Not sure. Considering it was before the internet was a big deal, unless it was in a major publication, it might be hard to find anything. But it definitely might be out there.

Not sure. Considering it was before the internet was a big deal, unless it was in a major publication, it might be hard to find anything. But it definitely might be out there.

yeah been trying to find them for a while now but I've had no luck

are there any quotes from Tim criticising Green Day?

There's a whole article bashing them in MRR #133, but no scans around - www.amazon.com/Maximumrocknroll-133-June-1994-Yohannan/dp/B004HIIROW

To be honest regardless of all this just strengthens my dislike for Platypus. I don't know, I just can't listen to a song with words like those, especially with a backstory like that.

To be honest regardless of all this just strengthens my dislike for Platypus. I don't know, I just can't listen to a song with words like those, especially with a backstory like that.

I think a song is what you make it. I can listen to a song like that as a nice release of my anger. That's how I felt back in high school anyway. People pissed me off and that song was a good outlet for that. It's definitely really fucking harsh. But most of Green Day's songs I listen to and appreciate them for what they mean to me and how I can apply them to my own story. I think that's one of the best things about Billie Joe's writing.

• Like 1

I think a song is what you make it. I can listen to a song like that as a nice release of my anger. That's how I felt back in high school anyway. People pissed me off and that song was a good outlet for that. It's definitely really fucking harsh. But most of Green Day's songs I listen to and appreciate them for what they mean to me and how I can apply them to my own story. I think that's one of the best things about Billie Joe's writing.

I see that point, and understand how one may think that way about that song, but I just can't.

I don't know, maybe it crosses the line and is lyrically too harsh for me but then again if I feel that way its more likely that I feel anger towards myself and not the other persons. Which is not very healthy way to cope with things I guess.

But I like more subtle approach when it comes to putting others down. Or maybe it is just that the song doesn't appeal to me musically.

But no matter how much would I hate someone I doubt I could wish their death, especially if they are already sick/dying. Probably I sound like a phony moralist now but still :lol:

I see that point, and understand how one may think that way about that song, but I just can't.

I don't know, maybe it crosses the line and is lyrically too harsh for me but then again if I feel that way its more likely that I feel anger towards myself and not the other persons. Which is not very healthy way to cope with things I guess.

But I like more subtle approach when it comes to putting others down. Or maybe it is just that the song doesn't appeal to me musically.

But no matter how much would I hate someone I doubt I could wish their death, especially if they are already sick/dying. Probably I sound like a phony moralist now but still :lol:

I can totally understand your point of view as well. I guess I'm just more forgiving since I view song writing as a way for people to process their feelings, so I liken it to writing in a diary.

• Like 2

I can totally understand your point of view as well. I guess I'm just more forgiving since I view song writing as a way for people to process their feelings, so I liken it to writing in a diary.

I view it that way too, but the difference is, that is that kinda of thing that in my opinion should stay in diary and even if it inspires a song it shouldn't be said so plainly.

On the other hand, the directness and honesty has always been Billie's strength when it comes to lyrics, and you clearly can see thar he pretty openly writes what he feels, so I can understand why he wrote that song.

So it all comes down to the personal differences, since I couldn't ever say things like those aloud and even listening it makes me feel uncomfortable.

But since he is being honest, sometimes I suppose the line must be crossed and on the other hand it may even be a good thing. Being completely honest requires one to show also those feelings that are irrational.

So all in all, I have naught problems with the song per se, I just can't listen to it, if that makes any sense?

"Platypus was written for Tim Yohanon. And I pray to god I misspelled his name. Rest in shit you fucking cunt" -- Billie Joe

The song was written about Tim Yohannan, a founder of 924 Gilman St., and punk music critic. He openly disliked Green Day's breed of "pop-punk," and made it known in his post-"Dookie" reviews of the band. Yohannan would later die of lymphoma, which explains the lines, "I heard you're sick/Sucked on that cancer stick." The narrator later goes on to say that he's happy to hear of this man's coming death.

Jesus, that´s disgusting... that´s ... ugly... Though Platypus is one of my favourite songs... but after this explanation... OMG...

I think it's referring to the "day-glo" colour she's wearing being so bright it hurts his eyes. She's dressed to attract him and the effect is so dazzling and successful it almost hurts. Basically she knows the way she's dressed will make him lust after her.

Thank you so much!

Since you mentioned BJ´s change from a "bush" to a "landing stripe" I can´t get the picture of this woman wearing day-glo on her own landing stripe out of my head... :whistle

I don't even see the problem tbh, if someone was an asshole their entire life that doesn't change just because they're dead.

He wrote and released it while the guy was still alive and dying of cancer, which was a bit harsh. It's not like he didn't already know how Billie felt about him or like he'd be bothered what he thought though, seeing as the feeling was mutual.

Thank you so much!

Since you mentioned BJ´s change from a "bush" to a "landing stripe" I can´t get the picture of this woman wearing day-glo on her own landing stripe out of my head... :whistle

Hadn't imagined it that way :lol:

• Like 1

I don't even see the problem tbh, if someone was an asshole their entire life that doesn't change just because they're dead.

Just because someone dislikes your music it doesn´t necessarily make him an asshole. It´s just ones own shitty butthurt-attitude that makes others assholes. "You don´t like me? So you´re an asshole and should die". It´s just the same thing he blames the other one for. Stupid. Childish. Foolish. But it made a good song, though.

Just because someone dislikes your music it doesn´t necessarily make him an asshole. It´s just ones own shitty butthurt-attitude that makes others assholes. "You don´t like me? So you´re an asshole and should die". It´s just the same thier he blames the other one for. Stupid. Childish. Foolish. But it made a good song, though.

Isn't Ha Ha, You're Dead aimed at the same guy, too? And that one's written by Mike. I would guess that guy did a bit more than politely inform the band that he didn't like their music to earn that level of hate from them.

Isn't Ha Ha, You're Dead aimed at the same guy, too? And that one's written by Mike. I would guess that guy did a bit more than politely inform the band that he didn't like their music to earn that level of hate from them.

What's sad is Ha Ha was done years after Tim died so that'd mean Mike lives with a lot of built up anger

Doesn´t matter. The same shit as the dumb thing about Steve Jobs. Though... Ha Ha, you´re dead is another favourite of mine... :) Alright, I´m on the same low level of existence... :fool:

What's sad is Ha Ha was done years after Tim died so that'd mean Mike lives with a lot of built up anger

Well, Wikipedia tells me Tim Yohannan died in 1998 and Shenanigans was released in 2002. I have no idea when Ha Ha, You're Dead was written precisely, it could have been in the year of his death for all I know. Or do you know more about it?

Well, Wikipedia tells me Tim Yohannan died in 1998 and Shenanigans was released in 2002. I have no idea when Ha Ha, You're Dead was written precisely, it could have been in the year of his death for all I know. Or do you know more about it?

Hmm this is what Wikipedia says "(lyrics written by Mike Dirnt; outtake from Nimrod, 1997. Later a single release.)"

Hmm this is what Wikipedia says "(lyrics written by Mike Dirnt; outtake from Nimrod, 1997. Later a single release.)"

I dunno the booklet says it was recorded at Catbox Studios and Catbox Studios wasn't opened in 1997

Sorry the Catbox Studios in Oakland closed down late 95/early 96 and re opened in 1999 with one of the original owner and a new backer

I think people also have to realize it's not like it was just some random critic shitting on them. My understanding is this is someone who actively got Green Day's closest friends to basically disown them. They got a lot of animosity from people they loved and the place they considered like a home and that guy lead the charge. It's more than just a bad review in some zine.

Well, what kind of "friends" were those people then...? But, well, long ago, and I really don´t want to know. It´s not my business.

Interesting, German Wikipedia says Ha ha you're dead is the only song on Shenanigans that isn't an outtake or a cover. :lol:

• Like 1

I dunno the booklet says it was recorded at Catbox Studios and Catbox Studios wasn't opened in 1997

Sorry the Catbox Studios in Oakland closed down late 95/early 96 and re opened in 1999 with one of the original owner and a new backer

It could easily have been recorded years earlier but was meant to go on Nimrod so it wouldn't have to have been recorded in 97 to be an outtake from a 97 album.