Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

What "special words" are we even talking about? The only notable example I can think of is him using "methamphetamine" completely fluidly.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think he's ever used a word I've had to look up, other than a couple of slang ones and "salud". He doesn't really use many "big" words that the average person doesn't know, he mostly just uses ordinary words in a poetic/artistic way.

It was just called "Alright"

I'm glad the names got mixed up :lol:

Yeah.

No way is he saying "tonight."

I can hear the "to" but then he ends it with an O sound.

I can only conclude that it is neither tonight nor a hey-oh, but some sick combination of the two.

• Like 1

Why is Billie playing an electric guitar at Acoustic 4 a Cure?

Yeah, he did for that one song. Will never forgive him for that, I was really excited for AI :­/

• Like 1

Yeah, he did for that one song. Will never forgive him for that, I was really excited for AI :­/

BUT WHY DID HE

Yeah.

Listening to it closer I hear "to-eeeey ooooh" but I don't hear the hard n sound at all. I'll go with the combination of the two things, hah.

Listening to it closer I hear "to-eeeey ooooh" but I don't hear the hard n sound at all. I'll go with the combination of the two things, hah.

I admit it does trail off a bit towards the end but I definitely hear the N. It's more like "toneeeeeey-oh." Which obviously isn't quite "tonight" but I think in the context of the rest of the lyric it's meant to be and is just down to ambiguous delivery.

Question about Dookie copies with Ernie; Has anyone been able to find them in the states? Like at used record stores? :)

Question about Dookie copies with Ernie; Has anyone been able to find them in the states? Like at used record stores? :)

Half of the used ones I see used have Ernie.
  • Like 2

Has Billie ever played Boulevard of Broken Dreams or 21 Guns completely acoustic without the rest of the band joining in at some point?

Does anyone ever wonder how billie is such a word smith? Haha he dropped out in 12th grade and yeah I know that's the last grade but says words that no one learns in school. How is he so good with words?

I literally LOLed at this because Billie is terrible with words. He's definitely poetic in his own very brilliant way, but the man hardly ever uses "big" words in his writing and is very inarticulate when speaking. I think he worked really hard to bring in some of that intellectual vocabulary on 21st Century Breakdown, but for the most part he SOUNDS like a high-school dropout in his lyrics, and I think that's part of his charm. Obviously he's paying attention to the world and he's 42, so naturally he's been around long enough to pick up on stuff.

I don't think it has much to do with education, sure that might've given him a slightly bigger vocabulary and made him better at grammar and formal writing and stuff but as far as being able to express yourself with words artistically I don't think that's something that really needs to be learned. You can naturally pick up a pretty wide variety of words and phrases just from people you meet, school, tv, radio and books etc if that's the way you're inclined, you don't necessarily have to especially study for it. And then being able to put them together so well is just a talent he was born with I suppose.

Yeah, I don't think he's ever used a word I've had to look up, other than a couple of slang ones and "salud". He doesn't really use many "big" words that the average person doesn't know, he mostly just uses ordinary words in a poetic/artistic way.

Exactly everything Hermione said!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is this?

hAm2YdY.png

You can't link directly to song listings on ASCAP so I took a screenshot. It's there, under Billie's page if you want to go see it. Is it just something they licensed and never spoke about again?

• Like 2

Has Billie ever played Boulevard of Broken Dreams or 21 Guns completely acoustic without the rest of the band joining in at some point?

If I remember correctly he played Boulevard completely acoustic at the last show I saw them which was the second one played post rehab, Phoenix Arizona. But don't quote me on that cause I'm not a 100% sure

I admit it does trail off a bit towards the end but I definitely hear the N. It's more like "toneeeeeey-oh." Which obviously isn't quite "tonight" but I think in the context of the rest of the lyric it's meant to be and is just down to ambiguous delivery.

What song are you guys referring to?

If I remember correctly he played Boulevard completely acoustic at the last show I saw them which was the second one played post rehab, Phoenix Arizona. But don't quote me on that cause I'm not a 100% sure

What year?

What song are you guys referring to?

Stay the Night. If you click the little speech bubble at the top right of quotes you can follow them back to find context.

Stay the Night. If you click the little speech bubble at the top right of quotes you can follow them back to find context.

Directions unclear. Penis stuck in disc drive.

• Like 1

Directions unclear. Penis stuck in disc drive.

See the quote box? At the top right there's a speech bubble. Click it.

Instructions not unclear. 404: DookieLukie's penis not found.

I hope this doesn't seem impertinent, I'm just honestly curious and a bit confused. So, East Jesus Nowhere. Obviously it's very anti-religion and was inspired by an experience Billie and Mike had in church (I can't remember the specific details off the top of my head, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). But is Mike definitely atheist? I'm just confused because many of the Instagram pictures he's put up of Brittney and her illness recently have made some mention to praying for her in the caption. It just… confused me a bit.

I hope this doesn't seem impertinent, I'm just honestly curious and a bit confused. So, East Jesus Nowhere. Obviously it's very anti-religion and was inspired by an experience Billie and Mike had in church (I can't remember the specific details off the top of my head, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). But is Mike definitely atheist? I'm just confused because many of the Instagram pictures he's put up of Brittney and her illness recently have made some mention to praying for her in the caption. It just… confused me a bit.

I only remember it being Billie's experience at a church, it was a friend or family member having their child baptized. He said he was uncomfortable with the way everyone was being told what to believe.

That doesn't answer the question of Mike's beliefs, since even the act of praying isn't by necessity religious, but I'm pretty sure you have EJN's background slightly wrong.

I thought it was a phrase typical of USA? To pray for X, rather than keep X in one's thoughts?! Didn't put too much thought into it.

I thought it was a phrase typical of USA? To pray for X, rather than keep X in one's thoughts?! Didn't put too much thought into it.

I wouldn't say it's typical of the US beyond the fact that we have a Christian majority. Some that aren't religious will say to keep X in their thoughts, but you're correct that saying "pray" doesn't necessarily indicate religiousness.

• Like 1