Still Breathing Official Music Video

Grinch

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Slash said:

It would have been nice to see Jason White in the video too 

Always nice to see Jason White in a video. He didn't play on the song tho. And I just don't think he's particularly bothered about being involved in that stuff. 

This video is perfect.

Ngl, the preview looked a bit meh.  But wow, the video as a whole is amazing.  Nice simple story, really good shots, totally does the song justice.  Gave me goosebumps from head to toe.  Not sure whether to watch it again right now, or just enjoy the feeling and save it viewing number 2 for later.

I think this song with its video will enter the top 100 Billboard in the US. If not, the world will be officially a bad place to live in.

Idk, the video is nicely shot, but for a band that "never wanted to talk about rehab again," they sure won't shut up about it. Idk, this video gives me a weird vibe. Billie with a sad face and being angsty doesn't sit well.

13 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Idk, the video is nicely shot, but for a band that "never wanted to talk about rehab again," they sure won't shut up about it. Idk, this video gives me a weird vibe.

You must not have met someone who's gone to rehab before. I have a few family members who's gone to rehab for multiple reasons (drugs, alcohol, smoking, so on) and they are tremendously proud of themselves on their anniversaries because it's such a hard feat to battle an addiction that was once so strong. You're pulling words from Billie's mouth 4 years ago. It's not unheard of to change your mind within 4 years.

3 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I just watched the video a few more times and I've picked up on some other things that are just so well done.  When the soldier goes to pick up his jacket, he moves a gun off of it.  Then he just goes for a walk in the mountains and ends up being just very peaceful.  Really touching, really well done.

I love that part - and all the story lines they've chosen.

I could just repeat what a lot of you already said, I didn't expect to love this video as much after watching it just once. It is amazingly filmed and really powerful, the parts with Mike and Tré playing and Billie lying on the ground made me more emotional than they probably should have. 

14 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Billie with a sad face and being angsty doesn't sit well.

Thought he was famous for it :lol: 

I thought the video was beautifully done and captured the song perfectly. Really loved the symbolism of Mike and Tre playing without Billie and what could've almost been real but in the end he made his way to them. Very emotional and powering. 

36 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Idk, the video is nicely shot, but for a band that "never wanted to talk about rehab again," they sure won't shut up about it. Idk, this video gives me a weird vibe. Billie with a sad face and being angsty doesn't sit well.

The video doesn't really referance rehab at all though?? Like Billie finding the band is probably a metaphor for it but otherwise the video's just a literal interpretation of the song. 

45 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

He said that right after going through something very difficult very publicly. At the time, I think he was concerned he'd become known for that incident, or for being an addict, and who he was beyond that would be diminished. With some time and reflection, he hopefully knows that's not true. Looking back on a dark time from a better place can color your perspective much differently. 

To be totally honest, I'd rather they not shut up about it than not talk about it at all (I don't think they've spoken too much about it, though). In 2013, when they tried to just move on as though nothing had really happened, it made me wildly uncomfortable. I understand why they didn't want to address it at the time, but as a fan, in order to move on and feel like things were solid, I WANTED them to talk about it. I had no right to want that, but I did, because that whole time in Green Day world had an affect on us, too. I wasn't able to let them back into my life in a meaningful way until they did start talking about it. Clearly it was no small deal—acting as though nothing has changed would feel insincere to me. Having this video focus just on other people's problems, rather than Billie's, would've also felt wrong. That's what the song is about, and I'm glad it was captured so well in the video. I feel so honored that they're willing to open up about something that impacted them on such a personal level. 

He looks angsty for most of the video because he went through a pretty shitty ordeal. I quite liked his acting right at the end when he popped his head in the door, though. It was kind of like, *shrug* "Well, sorry about all that, took a weird detour, but I'm back if you'll still have me."

The different story lines with sadness and a touch of hope reminds me of the video for Good Riddance.

I love that Tre has drumsticks in every shot of him so people who aren't "like us" knows that thats the dude who plays the drums. Nothing for Mike though, they could have given him a bass (the fish). 

23 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

He said that right after going through something very difficult very publicly. At the time, I think he was concerned he'd become known for that incident, or for being an addict, and who he was beyond that would be diminished. With some time and reflection, he hopefully knows that's not true. Looking back on a dark time from a better place can color your perspective much differently. 

To be totally honest, I'd rather they not shut up about it than not talk about it at all (I don't think they've spoken too much about it, though). In 2013, when they tried to just move on as though nothing had really happened, it made me wildly uncomfortable. I understand why they didn't want to address it at the time, but as a fan, in order to move on and feel like things were solid, I WANTED them to talk about it. I had no right to want that, but I did, because that whole time in Green Day world had an affect on us, too. I wasn't able to let them back into my life in a meaningful way until they did start talking about it. Clearly it was no small deal—acting as though nothing has changed would feel insincere to me. Having this video focus just on other people's problems, rather than Billie's, would've also felt wrong. That's what the song is about, and I'm glad it was captured so well in the video. I feel so honored that they're willing to open up about something that impacted them on such a personal level. 

He looks angsty for most of the video because he went through a pretty shitty ordeal. I quite liked his acting right at the end when he popped his head in the door, though. It was kind of like, *shrug* "Well, sorry about all that, took a weird detour, but I'm back if you'll still have me."

I agree with all of this, I wasn't sure what to expect but this wasn't it.  I really like it though, love the cinematic quality, it's beautifully shot.  I like that it's so,personal if you know what the band have gone through but also very relatable for many people as it's not too specific.  The shots of Mike lying on the floor, Tre looking so despondent and Billie almost working up the courage to go back and face them are really well done.  The look of Billie's as the door opens, its hopeful, apologetic, unsure, lots in there is so good, so emotional.  My fear is that on TV it will cut off before that part so will be lost.   I too am glad they are not ignoring all they've been through, particularly Billie's rehab, it would be the elephant in the room and people wouldn't let them but I would think this will be it - by the time we have album number 13 it will no longer be an issue.  I believe Billie when he says he doesn't want people thinking he's an over-indulgent rock star, they will be able to move on.

Yep, this is definitely my favorite Green Day video in such a long time. I can't stop watching it. The video is powerful, emotional, and beautiful-- everything I was hoping for. I'm so happy it does the song justice!

I mean, there are other high quality videos like 21 Guns, KYE and Oh love but SB is "way up high", just on another level of meaning.

Oh, and on YT the video has like 1k views every minute:lol: (or a bit less).

Thank god the video has done the song justice- the video is so epic. I love it. I like the bit when Billie sticks his head through the door at the end- he looks a bit unsure at first, but it shows how supportive the band are of each other after everything Billie went through.

I will definitely watch this video many times! It is everything I hoped for and more. 

I really love the ending, nearly made me cry. It's nicely shot but the rest is very all over the place and a bit cheesy. We aren't given enough of an insight into the other characters to care about them or even know why they're there. The parts showing the band are definitely its strongest points. I'm not sure it does the song as much justice as it could, personally, which makes me sad but other people like it so.

The ending though oh my lorddddd.

Not totally crazy about the rest of the video to be honest. But when Billie opened the door, that really hit me

Easily one of the best videos the band has made in years.

GD's best videos are the ones that tell a story that links to the music, the lyrics and relates to the band or other people's stories. I think it's perfect that the band's story is mixed with other random stories of overcoming. It gives it depth and a universal feeling, but at the same time it prevents the video from being too heavy and Green-Day-dependant. It is beautifully shot and the general shots of landscapes and such are not filler, they are here to help the video/music breath (which fits the song) and let the emotions sink in. 

This video tells a story that is pretty clear but not so much "in your face", and it doesn't ruin the video by interrupting the music to cram dialogue/exposition in it by force. 

I love how this video is reminiscent of Good Riddance, which was also focused on multiple stories and characters and transmitted perfectly that desperate, existential anguish that I have always felt in Green Day music. That feeling of "the world is fucked up, I am fucked up, but that's okay, that's the way it is and I keep going no matter what". 

I just watched the video and wow that is hands down one of the best Green Day videos.  It's so powerful, emotional and totally fits in with the song.  Love it!

Just watched it at lunch and it's definitely different. I think I dig it. I like that it has a story and it's shot really well too. There were various moments that reminded me of the vid for Good Riddance. Also, it got me wondering if it paralleled Billie's own situation a few years ago with the band waiting for him in the rehearsal space.

Archived