Geek Stink Breath

pasalaska

To commemorate Happy Chocolate-Eating Day, this week’s Song of the Week is the gritty Geek Stink Breath, track 4 off Green Day’s fourth album; 1995’s Insomniac. Geek Stink Breath was the first single released off Insomniac, charting at number 27 in the Billboard Hot 100 and number 3 in the Billboard Alternative Songs charts. A rather graphic music video, featuring a real tooth extraction was made to accompany the single’s release – remember to brush your teeth after all the chocolate, Green Day fans!

Geek Stink Breath’s lyrics vividly describe both addiction to and symptoms of methamphetamine use, from hallucinations (“I’m picking scabs off my face”) to hyperactivity (“I’m on a roll, no self-control”). The song, as with much of Insomniac’s material, has a dark, gritty sound that reflects the ugly images presented in the lyrics, and Billie Joe’s snarling, somewhat sloppily pronounced vocals add to the song’s overall dirty feel.

As mentioned earlier, the official music video released for the song features the band’s friend getting his tooth extracted, with a dentist’s-eye-view of the action, cut in between shots of the band playing the song. It’s not light viewing, especially if you’re eating. So put down that easter egg before hitting play.

And if you can’t quite stomach the official video, here’s a fab, High Definition video of the band playing Geek Stink Breath live in Mountain View, California in September 2010.

(Video credit: concertkid)

Lyrics:

I'm on a mission

I made my decision

To lead a path of self-destruction

A slow progression

Killing my complexion

And it's rotting out my teeth

I'm on a roll

No self-control

I'm blowing off steam with methamphetamine

Don't know what I want

That's all that I've got

And I'm picking scabs off my face

Every hour my blood is turning sour

And my pulse is beating out of time

I found a treasure filled with sick pleasure

And it sits on a thick white line

I'm on a roll

No self-control

Don't know what I want

That's all that I've got

I'm on a mission

I've got no decision

Like a cripple running the rat race

Wish in one hand shit in the other

And see which one gets filled first

I'm on a roll

No self-control

Don't know what I want

That's all that I've got

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my favorite for a while but I overplayed it.

This is the first time they played it. What does he say at 1:44?

This song is amazing. I play it a lot when I'm feeling dizzy... it makes the feeling feel way better. xP

Amazing song. What I love most about it might be its more than just catchy melody!

Such a peculiar song, that slow feel it has is just perfect for its lyrics.

I just love this song, so insane, anxious and restless both musically and lirically! The words, led by that "sick pleasure", are so strong and smart as well- I've always liked the line "wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one gets filled first". And it's somehow evident the awareness of the self destruction on your way, it's not like you found yourself in that situation but you made your own decision with your brain, that you can trust anymore. So the lyrics go through the physical consequences- rotting teeth, sour blood, "my pulse is beating out of time"- and of course the mental ones.

The way Billie sings "I got no decision, like a cripple running the rat race" just says everything :lol:

Bad point of the song: I just can't watch that fucking video anymore, or I'd throw up. And now I don't feel like eating chocolate today :rolleyes:

This was my favorite for a while but I overplayed it.

This is the first time they played it. What does he say at 1:44?

I really can't get what he says.

It's quite funny how short Billie looks compared to that guy.

I love this song, especially the version from Last Night on Earth: Live in Tokyo (despite the fact BJ flubs the opening line!) as it is really faced paced.

I wonder if the official video would work as an anti-eating dietary technique...will try once chocolate season has passed.

Great song, but I've actually always thought that Insomniac is the only Green Day album where the singles were actually slightly weaker than a lot of the songs on the album. Like, I personally think that songs like Stuart and the Ave, Westbound Sign and 86 are better than Geek Stink Breath, Brain Stew and Jaded, but I can also see why they would choose to release those songs as singles instead. Obviously a song like Brain Stew would be more radio friendly than Stuart and the Ave.

i love the song. but the music video is so creepy. i´m afraid of dentists and that´s why i don´t watch the video very much

Geek Stink Breath has always been of those songs I don't really like... =/ I can't really explain why, but I just can't get into it.

It had been a while since a heard this song and I just watched the video yesterday night and now here it is :woot:

I was obsessed with this GSB three months ago. Such a great song. Insomniac's my fovorite album, I think its sound is amazing.

I just love this song, so insane, anxious and restless both musically and lirically! The words, led by that "sick pleasure", are so strong and smart as well- I've always liked the line "wish in one hand, shit in the other and see which one gets filled first". And it's somehow evident the awareness of the self destruction on your way, it's not like you found yourself in that situation but you made your own decision with your brain, that you can trust anymore. So the lyrics go through the physical consequences- rotting teeth, sour blood, "my pulse is beating out of time"- and of course the mental ones.

The way Billie sings "I got no decision, like a cripple running the rat race" just says everything :lol:

Bad point of the song: I just can't watch that fucking video anymore, or I'd throw up. And now I don't feel like eating chocolate today :rolleyes:

Thou, Miss, have my profound respect and admiration for this almost philosophical opinion :sherlock:

Good song. Though I don't enjoy it as much as other people. The video's great btw, just a liiiitle bit disgusting :lol:

I like the part: "Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one gets filled first".

Love this song.

I learned how to pronounce methamphetamine properly LOL (In my head I always sing it so I can say it properly haha)

It's also a song I like to listen to when I'm mad, or before I play a sport.

& The video is rad!!

I should challenge my friends to watch it while eating something like jello or yogurt or something, and see who can last the longest :lol:

"I'm on a roll, no self control"

Definitely one of those songs that makes me wanna say "fuck it" and do something outrageous.

Delinquency ftw!

The imagery in the song and video make me uncomfortable, but it's a good song, for sure. Gotta love that it made the SNL censors miss the "shit," too :lol:

Love this song very much, especially guitar riffs and especially in live versions. They are amazing!

The video is terrific! :pinch:

This song is amazing. I love the sound that they get live on those guitars :wub:

Thou, Miss, have my profound respect and admiration for this almost philosophical opinion :sherlock:

Oh shucks, it's just that if I have to comment a song, I wanna write something interesting :P

I don't know what you all have against the video? I don't think that it's that disgusting :P

i wonder if they're playing in the same room as in the video of stuck with me...

Great pick for this week's song! I wasn't always a huge fan of this song, but there more I heard it (especially in live settings) the more I fell in love with it. But to this day I still can't watch that video without closing my eyes.

Great pick for this week's song! I wasn't always a huge fan of this song, but there more I heard it (especially in live settings) the more I fell in love with it. But to this day I still can't watch that video without closing my eyes.

I don't want to offend you but everytime someone writes that he has to close his eyes whilst watching the video or something like this I have to think: Yo pussy! :P

Archived